Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

First competition in just over a month

J

jamiem

May 18, 2012
hi guys newbie here, unsure how many strongmen are on here but you have a subforum all about it so there must be enough intrest lol

basically i have been training at a strongman gym for the last three years, but only just started training the events in the last year.

because its a strongman gym ive been to the events they host and watched friends compete, but this time i thought id give it a shot.

ill get a list of the events i did have a copy of them but i cant find it.

im looking for tips on technique etc.

im pretty strong at pressing my bench is 140kg max log over head max is 105kg

metal block press 80kg for 5 reps etc.

one of the events i havent done before is hand over hand seated truck pull.

now just so you know this is a novice event so weights are lower.

any tips on things that could give me the edge or lifts to train with to help in events.

i can lift the atlas stones up to 110kg 125kg i just can get lapped.

the last 3 months ive started squatting and deadlifting (i was all about the upper body before lol)

my squat has went from 120kg to 170kg in that time and deadlift from 140kg to 190kg in that time also.

Would changing from back squat to front squat be better for these strongman events?

sorry for all the questions lol

Many thanks jamie.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Back squat is a staple and front squat should be an accesory . We have a decent amount of folks that train strongman style on here .
The two women we have are myself and Mightymouse. I have been competing since 2004 and have gone to WSW in poland.

Mightymouse is our masters female national champion and going to 75kg and under WSW in scotland this year .

J

jamiem

May 18, 2012
excellent im from scotland lol, the gym i train at is hosting the scottish final shortly.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Welcome to TID Jamiem! Good to have more strongmen aboard, especially from the UK. I agree that back squats are a staple of strongman training. The front squat has helped me with my overhead press, but as RR said, is really an accessory lift. My opinion is that this is a pulling sport, so stay on top of your DLs. Please let us know if you have any specific questions on training or events.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Also got to add that Amma frequents here on occasion . She also has been to WSW and is a Elite FTS athlete .

Last edited:
J

jamiem

May 18, 2012
well i have hand over hand truck pull any tips for that?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Do you have access to a rope and truck? That one is hard to mimic with gym lifts. Endurance,grip,quads ,back and timing all come in to play with that event.

J

jamiem

May 18, 2012
i have access to the rope used. i was thinking of loading up the prowler sledge with weight and dragging it. endurance is a factor as my cardio isnt great lol

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
the prowler would work if you can get it heavy enough. Something is better than nothing .Do you have a tire to sit in? Thats what they do over here generally is use a larger tire to sit in for the pull.

J

jamiem

May 18, 2012
yeah got 250kg and 375kg tires we use for flipping

J

jamiem

May 18, 2012
its meant to be nice all week so i might try and set up the event one night

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic