Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

First Bench only meet this Sat. Advice welcome

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Mac - not knowing where your 1RM is is a product of your prep for the contest. Maybe you came in late I don't know. This happened to me at my first meet too. I solved the problem by developing a short but brutal meet prep cycle. Looks like this for future reference:

Week 1
Monday - Squat 5RM. This is somewhat guess work. I work up to where I think I am based on training maxes. As I get near a max effort based on feel I start jumping 40lbs at a time. Goal here is to not miss a rep but not feel like I had more to give. Last rep should be a grinder.

Wednesday - 5RM Bench. Same as the squat except the jumps are more like 20lbs at a time.

Friday - Dead 5Rm with jumps in the 30 to 40lbs range nearing the max.

Week 2
Monday - Squat 3RM and you should have a good idea what this is based on 5RM. Trust your instinct
Wednesday - Bench 3RM
Friday - Dead 3RM

The 3RM is your opener. To calculate second attempts it should be squat and dead 3RM plus 40lbs bench plus 20lbs

Week 3
Monday - Squat for speed singles. 50% of the second attempts with bands or use the future method which is to use reverse bands with your opener plus 80lbs for Squat and Dead and Opener for bench plus 40lbs. If using the future method do two or three singles with that. Have someone call commands used by your federation for all lifts.

Week 4 (meet is the coming saturday)
Get a massage or ART on Monday or Tuesday but no later. Foam roll, stretch and meditate (stay calm that week). I usually take that week off from work to avoid stress :)

Meet day
Warm up to 75% or 80% of Opener
Second attempts jump 40lbs on squat and dead jump 20lbs on bench
Third attempts based on bar speed and feel of second attempts or go for broke and just beat the third attempt of your closest competitor.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Mac - not knowing where your 1RM is is a product of your prep for the contest. Maybe you came in late I don't know.

You hit the nail on the head. I did not think I was going to enter as I was healing up from injuries and took 3 months off heavy lifting. I came back to heavy sets and only had 3 weeks before the meet. (meaning basically I only got 3 workouts in with weight over 315 prior to meet). I did not decided to commit to the meet till last week when I knew my forearm was 100%.

Thanks for the prep idea. That is one I will save for future reference!

This one, I am just going to have to wing!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Shoot.... sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Hopefully you did well in your meet.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic