Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Female Competition Categories Defined

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
show to show judge to judge don't even think you know what class you should be its so damn inconsistent. And local and regional if you look ANYTHING like the international girls you wont even get called out.

So true. My wife competed last year in the physique class and took second place to a girl who crossed over from Figure and won both classes. How do you win both Figure and Physique in the same show???? When we asked the judges how can you win both classes when they have different criteria for what they should look like and they said they still haven't figured out what they were looking for in Physique and that my wife was to ripped, but she brought the look that was winning at the National level. Either way, a Physique competitor should not win a Figure class or vice versa.

My wife had been looking at National level shows on video to get an idea what the judges were looking for and what they want at the local level is no where near what they want at the National level. The NPC really needs to come together and be consistent on what they are looking for regardless of the level.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
So true. My wife competed last year in the physique class and took second place to a girl who crossed over from Figure and won both classes. How do you win both Figure and Physique in the same show???? When we asked the judges how can you win both classes when they have different criteria for what they should look like and they said they still haven't figured out what they were looking for in Physique and that my wife was to ripped, but she brought the look that was winning at the National level. Either way, a Physique competitor should not win a Figure class or vice versa.

My wife had been looking at National level shows on video to get an idea what the judges were looking for and what they want at the local level is no where near what they want at the National level. The NPC really needs to come together and be consistent on what they are looking for regardless of the level.

At regional shows, they have to judge what they have to work with. If everyone else in the Figure category is soft or short on muscle, it may be that she was the best that showed up, despite also being the best that showed up in the Physique category.

I could counter your complaint and say they shouldn't allow cross-overs in the same show to force the competitors to pick a category they envision themselves in. But that would go contrary to both keeping it open for the competitors to "try" and see where they fit, "try" to get more trophies from the same show, "try" more opportunities to get qualified for the next level from the same show, as well as the federation to get more entry fees. The last is the reality. The formers are just nice ways to think about it.

M

mrshaymaker

Oct 24, 2015
Bodybuilding competitions

This is probably the competition you're most familiar with. Bodybuilding certainly isn't for every woman, but it's extremely popular. Women in these contests are judged on their muscularity, definition and leanness. As with all body competitions, muscular and physical symmetry is one of the most determining features a judge will look for.

It's important that these women have toned essentially every visible muscle in their body, and while extremely intensive weight training is key, strict dieting is most imperative if these competitors want to walk away with the gold.

Female bodybuilders can be described as "ripped" and "chiseled," which isn't necessarily true for competitors in other formats.

Bikini competitions

Today, bikini competitions are growing faster in popularity than any other format. While bodybuilders are typically blessed with the ability to bulk up more than the average person, bikini competitors have a look that's attainable for a wider range of women.

In essence, judges look for the girl who can rock a two-piece swimsuit better than anyone else on stage. These women typically aren't very muscular, and the winners aren't necessarily the skinniest competitors. As a matter of fact, it's important to have a bit of body fat so muscles aren't too defined.

Figure competitions

Figure competitions fall somewhere in between bikini and bodybuilding. It's important that these women are muscular, but not the way that bodybuilders are. Judges look for a bit of separation between the muscles, but there can be no visible striations. In other words, muscle tone is valued much more than muscle size.

It's crucial that women aren't too skinny, and skin tone is key in these contests as well.

Physique competitions

The National Physique Committee (NPC) explains on its website that physique competitions are "for women who enjoy weight training, competing {and} contest preparation." It's a bit different than bodybuilding and figure posing, as the NPC says these women shouldn't be vascular, massive, grainy, thick, ripped or dense.

The judges look for shape, proportion and muscle tone, but also poise, femininity and beauty flow, which aren't necessarily as important in the other formats.

Fitness competitions

Fitness competitions are probably the most unique of the bunch. These call for women to perform a short routine that entails more than just posing. Instead, these performances involve dancing, gymnastics or other physical activity that demonstrates the athleticism and stage presence of the participants.

The presentation and tempo of the performance, in addition to the competitor's flexibility, are looked at closely by the judges in fitness competitions.

These are so helpful! I've been thinking about competing for quite time and this definitely gives me a good understanding to think about where I want to take it. Is there any time difference in prepping for a show in the different categories?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic