Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Federal Legalization of Pot? Good idea...Bad idea?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Not a nanny stater.

There are limits. You cannot yell "fire!" in a crowded theater. You cannot build a nuclear bomb or a meth / PCP / crack / smack lab in your basement, nor can you go buy these things at Walmart or a pharmacy. You cannot possess cyanide nor plutonium.

Please tell me why PCP, cocaine, heroin, and meth should be legalized? Would you want your kids going into the store and buying these things, having these things slipped into their drinks, or even just condoning your kids using these drugs in the privacy of their own homes?

Because locking people up has done nothing to stem the tide of addiction. And decriminalizing won't make more addicts.

Kids are being exposed regardless.

I use tobacco as an example of how it can be done. Strict regulations combined with education. Teenage smoking is at an all time low.

Still a bit nanny state. But to a lesser degree.

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Am I missing something? Seriously? Do you think it's a drug? I mean go ahead and put Tabbacco as a drug if that's the case.

Nutmeg too, as a few teaspoons will get you really high.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Hard drugs and tobacco are two totally different animals. Tobacco kills some people slowly via cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc., while others who use it can do so with no ill effects while living to a perfectly healthy old age. Hard drugs are far more dangerous, and destroy and often kill users (and sometimes others unlucky enough to be around them) much more rapidly.

Aside from the second hand smoke issue, tobacco users do not harm anyone else. Many people under the influence of hard drugs often harm / kill themselves or others, and often commit crimes against others for money to buy their drugs.

You just cannot compare smoking or chewing tobacco to using PCP, meth, smack, or crack. Why would the use, manufacture, and distribution of these drugs being condoned by government be a good idea?

A relatively small % of very stupid people will always fool with these drugs whether they're legal or illegal, but why again is it in any way a good idea for the government to condone their use, possession, manufacture, etc?

Should the government also let everyone have nuclear war heads, cyanide, plutonium, etc at home?

Because locking people up has done nothing to stem the tide of addiction. And decriminalizing won't make more addicts.

Kids are being exposed regardless.

I use tobacco as an example of how it can be done. Strict regulations combined with education. Teenage smoking is at an all time low.

Still a bit nanny state. But to a lesser degree.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Why do people call others who have used or use "hard drugs" stupid? Addiction is made up of 2 parts; environment + genetics. Many don't go looking for the trouble they find themselves in... it just finds a way into their lives but those who don't have this burden to bare have no idea what it's like nor do they really care so they call others stupid.

Legalizing "hard drugs" would not make matters worse. There are countries where drugs are legal and crime has not gone up. The money being spent to fight the war on drugs, which is doing nothing, could be used for better things like better funded rehab facilities for those who are battling these demons. Hell, the best place to find drugs is in a rehab facility believe it or not.

Keeping "hard drugs" illegal doesn't keep kids away from drugs nor does it keep something from happening to them by someone else who is using.

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
Pot is something that is very hard to quit doing. I can do it for a few month but shit gets so boring with out it. I found quitting smoking cigarettes way easier. Not sure if its if its a good idea to legalize it, easier access would most likely equal to more people using it. But I also think this may reduce crimes.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
It is stupid to believe that drug addicts will be less prone to criminal behavior and drug usage after being incarcerated for a few years and losing everything. If anything I can think of nothing more certain to guarantee a relapse. Most politicians are far more interested in appearing powerful than in doing anything about the social problems they so eagerly pontificate about. The sad thing is that most of their "get tough" positions are expensive and make matters worse than if they did nothing at all.

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Not only the addicts but also the dealers, do a few years in the joint and see how easy it is to get a job when you get out. Even if it's a non violent crime.

You want to work, rehabilitated yourself because a correctional facility does not correct you but nobody will give you a job so you go back to doing what you used to do just because you got to eat.

Man

Man

Aug 17, 2015
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, yet they think they can legislate what you can and can not put into your body. Ironically, if you had another life inside your body, they'd be perfectly okay if you terminated its life. But put a chemical they don't approve of into your own body, then you become a criminal.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Some of you guys are too into the theoretical and not enough into reality.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Some of you guys are too into the theoretical and not enough into reality.

Reality based on empirical evidence or based on some data calculated by a dork who doesn't have a clue. Many have been through hell and actually know a thing or 2 when talking about the subject matter.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I don't need to use hard drugs myself to know that I don't exactly envy the lives of the small % of people who do use them. Darwinism at work.

I also know that it's just not a good idea for an institution or government to officially condone such behavior, even if in reality they can't do much or anything to actually stop it.

Hard drug use, possession, distribution, etc being technically illegal can in itself be a good tool for law enforcement to use as a way to get to criminals doing other far worse things. Much like many years of tax evasion enabled the feds to put away a guy like Capone who had done many far worse things.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic