Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Favorite PWO drink/shake

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
He goes on to point out that, unless you train fasted, "immediate post-exercise protein dosing for the aim of mitigating catabolism seems redundant."

And finally, "The next scheduled protein-rich meal (whether it occurs immediately or 1–2 hours post-exercise) is likely sufficient for maximizing recovery and anabolism." -EK

Just want to point out that "1-2 hours post exercise" is still a window, be it a bit larger than 30 - 60 min.

Also, you should work out in a somewhat fasted state.

E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
Well yes, and 5-6 hours is an even bigger window. When people speak of the "anabolic window," they're usually referring to 45-60 minutes. If that's not what you meant, then I certainly apologize.

I train completely fasted, but have a decent dose of BCAAs pre/during and have always had good results with this approach. -EK

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
More or less saying that eating a post workout meal is a good idea. In my opinion sooner is better. Further reinforced by training fasted. I'm glad we agree to train fasted.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
EK and giant, you guys ever feel energy loss when working out fasted compared to non fasted? Of course it all depends on the fuel storage and individual differences, but for you guys how do you feel in comparison of fasted and non fasted?

Last edited:
E

eknight

Mar 28, 2013
The first week was rough- but I'm certain it was all mental. Behind that, I never feel lethargic or unfocused. I'll never go back. -EK

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
50 grams whey
70 grams dextrose
10 grams creatine mono
10 grams bcaa
10 grams glutamine

Whole food meal one hour later.
I'm running Novolog with this.

Some will argue against putting extra bcaa or glutamine but the cost is pretty low so I cover all bases.

50g Karbolyn
30g Hydrolzed WPI
10g Leucine
10g Berry/Greens powder.

2 scoops chocolate whey, 1 half carton eggbeaters. 100 grams of protein in a delicious shake.

Well that took some wading-through.

I like your shake GS, with the exception of the added glutamine (yeah, been doing more research and it would appear that it's unnecessary), and I'd rather see something like Vitargo or Karbolyn instead of dextrose. Couple of things to research. When I had my most impressive run with slin, it was when I was following my own version of Monster's Insulin Primer. This included large amounts of EAAs, rather than just specifically BCAAs. Also, the slin will absolutely help you use the full 50g whey as intended, but just remember when you back down off the slin that 50g whey is too much.

Mike, I like your shake a lot. I don't think hydrolyzed is necessary, speed-wise, especially since it's more expensive and more bitter. And also keep in mind that, with the added 10g leucine, you're actually at 40g of protein in the shake, which means you are likely losing 10g of protein to glucose.

spinyvegeta, 100g protein shake is completely unnecessary. You're likely to be getting 30g protein utilization out of that and the rest is being converted to glucose by your liver. This, of course, depends on the specific blend of protein and whether or not you are on insulin. Safe to say though, you could save yourself money by dropping the total protein per hour down to roughly 30g.

When I finish letting my body find a happy place, I'll be running this insulin program:

1 hour pre-workout:
20g EAAs
50g Karbolyn
10g Creatine
5g Citrulline Malate

Immediately pre-workout:
5iu Humalog

Intra-workout:
20g EAAs
50g Karbolyn

Immediately Post-workout:
10iu Humalog

10-15min Post-workout:
50g Native Milk Protein Isolate
100g Karbolyn
10g Creatine
10g Fiber

I'm also looking into buying bulk sweet potato powder to replace the Karbolyn. Not sure on that yet.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
The first week was rough- but I'm certain it was all mental. Behind that, I never feel lethargic or unfocused. I'll never go back. -EK

Awesome, glad to hear. So I'm assuming you like your results much more and are not losing LBM by doing so since you said you'll never go back. I think I may give this a shot and see how I like it

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
If anything, your mental focus should be better fasted. By fasted I mean I eat my last whole food meal 2 hours before my workout. Can't really claim to be completely fasted but blood sugar is pretty stable 2 hours later. Also, If my workout goes longer than 60 min (rarely) or it's a particularly strenuous legs or back day, I will have some bcaas intra workout.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
If anything, your mental focus should be better fasted. By fasted I mean I eat my last whole food meal 2 hours before my workout. Can't really claim to be completely fasted but blood sugar is pretty stable 2 hours later. Also, If my workout goes longer than 60 min (rarely) or it's a particularly strenuous legs or back day, I will have some bcaas intra workout.

Awesome GS, thanks for the info bro. I like hitting amino energy intra for prolonged workouts.

SakuraIron

SakuraIron

TID Lady Member
Dec 6, 2013
I just drink optimum nutrition whey, and then Xtend by Scivation for bcaas

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic