Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Fat loss stalled Post Cancer/Radiation

Sumatai

Sumatai

Feb 17, 2023
Going to update my cancer journey and recent radiation therapy in another thread. Had a running post I updated from time to time over at WCBB, but for now... the problem at hand.

It's taken me 6+ months post radiation treatment just to get baseline strength and energy back to muster what i'd call my "average workout". It was a shitty road back. Last summer I went from top condition to struggling to get 1 push up, 1 chin up. On top of that, most associate cancer with weight loss, I gained. Definitely lost lean mass, but the fat just kept coming. Went from 190-205 quickly and looked like I felt. I slept the majority of the remainder of the summer away until it was time for me to return to my job.

Fast forward to present day, I've managed to drop 10 lbs and gain a likely 5 quality back lean. More importantly, strength/stamina are back, I fit in all of my old/normal clothes and my energy levels have normalized. The only problem remaining is I hit the wall in fat/weight loss. It used to be that I could pretty much blink and get myself to 185 which equaled "summer shape" for me (Strong, visible abs etc). I'm currently stuck at 192 and it won't budge.

I'm back to my normal weight sessions, and I've ramped up the treadmill post workout from 30 min to an hour. Diet is my usual low carb/clean, moderate cals, zero sugar/processed. The only variable i'm not hitting is when i would cut, i was in the gym 6 out 7 days a week, with my current schedule, i'm hitting 3-4. This is all close to my usual routine that would take me 8 weeks max to reach my goal points. But since radiation, i've stalled at this sticking point. This has never happened before.

Has my metabolism changed this much overnight due to the therapy? Any insight appreciated.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Metabolism is likely impacted. However, I would not stop there. It is likely all of your hormone production and efficacy were impacted in some way.

Sumatai

Sumatai

Feb 17, 2023
Well damn, I was hoping it was more potentially having 3 gallons of cortisol churning due to the stress and body thinking it was in emergency response mode from the Photons. Basically I was hoping I was in a consistent long term shock state. Being 50+ I don't need any other hormone issues.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Glad to see you posting, and hopefully you can keep us updated here, similar to WCBB. Yea man, i'd say give it some more time. I have to imagine the radiation and med treatments for cancer, along with us getting a little older every year, will have an impact. I'd say look more long-term, and just stay consistent.

I have to imagine that is easier said than done in your situation, so i have nothing to really stand on when it comes to experience in your shoes.

Keep us updated:)

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Well damn, I was hoping it was more potentially having 3 gallons of cortisol churning due to the stress and body thinking it was in emergency response mode from the Photons. Basically I was hoping I was in a consistent long term shock state. Being 50+ I don't need any other hormone issues.
That is kind of what I was thinking. Increased cortisol levels have been shown to cause hypothyroidism, hypogonadism, insulin resistance, etc...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic