Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Fasting

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Any one tried intermittent fasting? What where your thoughts? I'm not overweight, just thought it might jolt the system.

My wife had been dong the 16-8 fasting for over a year now. So far this is the only way she has found to keep her weight under control. When she eats during the 8 hours she does keto.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I generally do an average 16 hour fast each day. During the 8 hour consumption time / eating window, I’ve mostly been doing just 2 large carnivore (animal foods... largely beef) meals. I pretty much have narrowed my foundational foods down to just meat/beef, liver, eggs, and periodically some fish. In smaller amounts, I have grass fed butter, some cheese and milk. Coffee of course, and my vice is the rockstar zero (sugar free) drinks.
I try and be consistently disciplined with that 6 days a week, and give myself one day to eat most anything else that I want.
I’ve been sticking to this with a minimum 80+% consistency for over two and a half years now.
There’s a LOT of variation within types and purposes of fasts.

P

Pipsyboy

Mar 15, 2021
Hey guys.

How does this fit in with protein intake?

I'm lifting again after a long (15+ years) layoff and eating/drinking how I always have. So 30g of protein every 3 hours throughout the day. First meal around 5.30-6am and last at around 9pm.

I train at 4.30am so waiting until lunchtime for my post workout meal or shake doesn't seem optimal. Also having my eating window from 6am to noon or 2pm wouldn't work either.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Hey guys.

How does this fit in with protein intake?

I'm lifting again after a long (15+ years) layoff and eating/drinking how I always have. So 30g of protein every 3 hours throughout the day. First meal around 5.30-6am and last at around 9pm.

I train at 4.30am so waiting until lunchtime for my post workout meal or shake doesn't seem optimal. Also having my eating window from 6am to noon or 2pm wouldn't work either.
I eat before my work out about 2 hours before and right after work out... That’s my feeding window, the rest of the time I’m fasting... Make it work with your schedule, if your training hard you dont need to fast..

P

Pipsyboy

Mar 15, 2021
Just make sure you get the necessary protein consumed in your unfasted window.

My understanding was that your body can only process 30g of protein at any one time.

So would eating let's say 90g per meal in your 2 eating window meals not mean 60g per meal isn't being processed?

Even if you had 60g at each meal and a 60g shake in between wouldn't that still leave 90g not being processed?

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
My understanding was that your body can only process 30g of protein at any one time.

So would eating let's say 90g per meal in your 2 eating window meals not mean 60g per meal isn't being processed?

Even if you had 60g at each meal and a 60g shake in between wouldn't that still leave 90g not being processed?
the protein processing limitation is bro science. I've never accepted that as fact. In regards to fasting I have been dong alternate day fasting for, cripes I think over 10 yrs now. But, I only weight train 3 days a week. I do cardio in a fasted state on Tues, Thurs and Sat. The days I train I am doing a pseudo IF as I don't eat til noon time. I generally train around 5pm so I have enough time to eat enough cals for my workouts. I also eat a low carb diet (zero processed), avg less than 100g pd. I don't record my macros any longer but the majority of my cals (obviously) come from fats and protein.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
the protein processing limitation is bro science. I've never accepted that as fact.
Yeah, I think protein synthesis goes on 24 hours a day. If you have the amino acids in your blood you're potentially making muscle.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I personally am not a fan of IF but if it works for you and you can adhere to it... why not. If someone told me they wanted to bulk, I would say IF is a bad idea but other than that it's all about finding a regimen you can follow day in and day out.

P

Pipsyboy

Mar 15, 2021
Some interesting thoughts guys. Cheers.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic