Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Fasting with night being last vs first in the fast.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I said that I’d give it a try and so I fasted yesterday from 1p until 7a this morning. It wasn’t fun. I’m no rookie to 18hr fasts, I do it all the time. But I was ravenous after my workout at around 6p and I was Hangry with an intentionally capital “H” the rest of the evening.

I had trouble getting to sleep because my stomach was flipping out and normally I’d be working or otherwise busying myself to ignore it (I rarely get long bouts of hunger pains anymore on the regular schedule) but just lying on my back gave me no way to ignore the hunger. Finally fell asleep expecting this awesome, deep, repairing sleep, and I wake up to pee twice and both times had trouble falling back asleep because my stomach is rolling like the thunder, haha. Woke up before my alarm at 5:40 something, giving me a broken ~6 hours of sleep.

Drank some espresso at around 6a and was ZOOMING by 7a when I allowed myself to eat the eggs and bacon and sweet potatoes I had been making the whole time, with a watermelon/banana/apple/orange/spinach/collagen smoothie. Stuffed my face, tasted great, and I felt great.

I’m not sure I could do it again. The irritability and then not being able to ignore the hunger while lying in bed….those two might make me reconsider.

Why was I doing that again? Just how much better is it than fasting from 9p-3p?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I would experiment a little based on your high energy needs. Maybe also go from 14 to 16 to 18 to get your body adapted. But I agree that your times seem very difficult.

Reactions: SAD
testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Been there…. as most all who transition from food addiction (don’t freak out at that — we’re ALL addicted to food) to a discipline of self control that fasting is.
But like anything, with more practice the easier and better it gets.
As I type this, I’m right about 37 1/2hrs into another 72hr fast. It’s a reset for the 12 days I just finished of allowing myself to indulge carbs (mostly white rice, bagels, and fruit) that was a break from my ordinary carnivore disciplined way of eating.
Resetting my physiological functions / resensitizing adapted processes.

The health benefits of regularly incorporating fasting periods is unrivaled by anything else available to us.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Been there…. as most all who transition from food addiction (don’t freak out at that — we’re ALL addicted to food) to a discipline of self control that fasting is.
As I type this, I’m right about 37 1/2hrs into another 72hr fast. It’s a reset for the 12 days I just finished of allowing myself to indulge carbs (mostly white rice, bagels, and fruit) that was a break from my ordinary carnivore disciplined way of eating.

The health benefits of regularly incorporating fasting periods is unrivaled by anything else available to us.

While I know that my IF fasting has been helpful for a variety of things, the logic side of my brain tells me that 2-3 day fasts can’t be great for the body. I don’t care too much about muscle retention during a long fast, but I can’t imagine NOT being irritable and unfocused and weak/tired. I know you’ve already done this on here before, but what are the pros/cons for you, of the long 2/3 day fasts?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Hi SAD,

Briefly, besides the fat burn / lean body comp aesthetics, lengthier / extended fasts are profoundly empowering in the way of self discipline, control over cravings / impulse control, and a difficult to quantify “spiritual clarity” — that’s individual based, much the same way use of various psychedelic drugs are (for therapeutic use).
The greatest health benefits are the ones not seen: giving our digestive system and all various associated processes a break; autophagy (the ridding / clearing of bad, weaker cells systemically — deeper cellular level cleanse/detox); it triggers a broad spectrum of hormonal optimization; the energy normally used for digestion transfers largely to the brain; powerfully anti-inflammatory, and so much more.
It’s the most profoundly BY FAR overall healer / health promoting remedy available, and it’s FREE.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Alright @testboner I’m in. Kinda.

I’m more of a “everything in moderation” kinda guy 90% of the time, and “all-in balls-to-the-wall do-or-die” kinda guy the other 10%.

So I’m NOT going to make the morning feedings a habitual thing. I will stick with my 3p-9p feeding schedule during my 90% of the time that I just do basic IF.

BUT, I am going to throw in some extended fasts in there monthly, to satisfy my inner masochist and get the benefits that you speak of (and that I just researched fairly thoroughly).

I’m most interested in the autophagy and the general cleansing of the digestive tract, but it would seem that there really isn’t a good reason NOT to throw in some extended fasts here and there.

I start today. Last meal was 9p last night, so I’m already 14hrs into my first 66hr fast. So I’ll eat again starting my 3p-9p window on Tuesday afternoon.

Do you supplement anything at all during this time? Electrolytes? Caffeine?

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010

What do you consume for nutrition during these 72 hour fasts?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Alright @testboner I’m in. Kinda.

I’m more of a “everything in moderation” kinda guy 90% of the time, and “all-in balls-to-the-wall do-or-die” kinda guy the other 10%.

So I’m NOT going to make the morning feedings a habitual thing. I will stick with my 3p-9p feeding schedule during my 90% of the time that I just do basic IF.

BUT, I am going to throw in some extended fasts in there monthly, to satisfy my inner masochist and get the benefits that you speak of (and that I just researched fairly thoroughly).

I’m most interested in the autophagy and the general cleansing of the digestive tract, but it would seem that there really isn’t a good reason NOT to throw in some extended fasts here and there.

I start today. Last meal was 9p last night, so I’m already 14hrs into my first 66hr fast. So I’ll eat again starting my 3p-9p window on Tuesday afternoon.

Do you supplement anything at all during this time? Electrolytes? Caffeine?

Excellent. I’m genuinely highly encouraged every time someone chooses to incorporate fasting.Make no mistake about it — there is a mental adaptive challenge to get through, until you’ve practiced it enough to become more in tune with your body and mind connection.

So far as electrolytes, I do add about a tablespoon (sometimes more) a day of Redmond’s Real Salt (my preferred brand), and I do have a daily morning 20oz coffee with 1 sweet & low and flavored stevia drops. Occasionally I’ll have a Rockstar (my preferred energy drink brand) Zero during training.
I lower my training intensity level (amount of weight) while fasting as well —generally not lifting beyond 65-75% of my typical poundage. Cardio remains the same as when I’m eating.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
What do you consume for nutrition during these 72 hour fasts?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Nothing. No ingestion of calories. No food nor drink caloric consumption. In the initial hours (avg 8-12), circulating glucose is expended, and then liver stored glucose (glycogen) gets used up next….. then, the body switches from glucose to ketone production and uses stored fat (body fat) for energy.
The body has a type of “secret menu” that only gets accessed by triggering it — Fasting is that trigger.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Update: I’m in hour 26 right now and the hunger comes and goes. My mouth tastes like straight metal and my hands and feet are clammy. Keto and detoxing, respectively, so I can feel that working. I’ve had a couple close-to-weak moments; my ex brought me a whole batch of fresh banana bread muffins unannounced, which I’ve frozen. And then my old man asked me to join him and my mom at my favorite sushi spot…which I did, and drank water awkwardly while complaining a few times about fasting. Zero calories. The self discipline aspect is real. This would suck if I was broke and hungry and didn’t want to do this. But reminding myself of the health benefits and having the OPTION to choose this makes it much more doable.

I did pick up some creatine mono, along with an electrolyte mix that has zero calories or artificial sweeteners, flavors, etc.

Worried about tomorrow’s workout and tonight’s sleep, but only more time will tell, lol.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Update 2: Now in hour 38 or something close to that. The hunger is a dull background ache today, nothing crazy. I feel kinda energized yet weak/light-headed at the same time. Almost like if I took an adderal or modafinal, but not quite as intense. I read about this effect and underestimated it. Talking with a colleague this morning and he asked me how much caffeine I’d had. It was the normal double shot of espresso that I make myself every morning (sans butter and cinnamon) but as soon as he said something, I realized I was zooming pretty good. Been making a conscious effort to actually slow it all down right now, interestingly enough.

I slept fairly well last night. I did wake up once to pee and had a little bit of trouble falling back asleep because I was simply too cold at the temp that I always keep my house at, so I bumped it up 2 degrees and fell back asleep. Woke up to my alarm, sweating, lol. Damn tempurpedic bed.

I will weigh myself later today when I go to the gym. I was 259 on Saturday. I’m guessing 250 or so right now. I’ve taken two decent shits since then and can absolutely see the water I’ve dropped since fasting, in my face and hands and feet most of all. I hate it, ha, but I know that fullness will come back. The flavored water is a godsend. I’ve had at least 2 gallons total since I started the fast. I knew I’d use way too many packets if I added 1 per 16oz, so I just use them for a hint of the flavor, and put a half packet for roughly every 40oz water.

Not sure what else to report. I’m not as irritable today. My breath is trash. The Last Kingdom was absolutely worth watching, awesome. Shit wrong thread. Alright I’m out.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
Good job on the fast....i can barely handle it for any length of time but try at least once per month for what its worth.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic