Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Extreme cramp/Charlie horse

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I remembered reading about similar circumstances once on llyle mcdonalds page...still had it in my bookmarks... Worth a read guys:

Question: I have been following a very low-carbohydrate diet and taking the ephedrine/caffeine stack for the past 4 months. Recently I have been having problems with cramping in the gym, I find that if I get too close to failure on a set, I get very bad cramps. I’m drinking plenty of water and taking a multivitamin and I can’t figure out what’s wrong. Please help.
Answer: Cramping is unfortunately a very complicated topic and while many simple solutions are often thrown out, they don’t always seem to work. Usually the culprit is issues with hydration per se or electrolyte levels; electrolytes are things like potassium, calcium, sodium and magnesium they are involved in transmission of the electrical signals in the body. Hence their name.
I’d note that hydration and electrolyte levels are intertwined as the amount of water in the body affects the relative concentrations of the electrolytes in the body. So if there is more water present, the relative concentration of each of the electrolytes will be lower because the water will dilute them. By the same token, if you are dehydrated, the relative concentrations of the electrolytes goes up.
Most ideas about cramping tend to focus on a single electrolyte, potassium was blamed for quite some time which is the basic origin of the ‘eat a banana to stop cramping’ idea. Bananas are an excellent source of dietary potassium.
The problem is that cramping is way more complicated than this and can be related to all of the different electrolytes, not simply the absolute amounts of each but the interactions between them. Fixing the problem often entails trying different things to figure out what’s causing the problems for a given individual.
Now, a potential issue specific to very low-carbohydrate diets (less than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day) and cramping per se is that these diets cause water loss. As well, the water losses can vary massively from a low of perhaps 1-2 pounds up to 10-15 pounds in larger individuals. As well, very low-carb diets cause electrolyte losses and this can cause cramping and fatigue.
As I detailed in my first book The Ketogenic Diet, very low-carb dieters need to supplement their daily electrolyte intake with the following at a bare minimum:
3-5 grams extra sodium hydrochloride
1 gram potassium
300 mg magnesium
Not only should this help with cramping issues, this has also been shown to fix some of the fatigue issues that often beset people when they start ketogenic diets. Of course, an adequate calcium intake is important under all conditions for bone health. How much you need depends solely on how much dairy foods you’re eating so whether or not you need to supplement extra will depend on that variable.
While you generally have to supplement magnesium separately, you can cover at least some of the potassium and sodium requirements with something like LiteSalt. This is a table salt that contains 1/2 sodium chloride (standard table salt) and 1/2 potassium chloride. It tastes just like normal salt but gives a better balance of sodium and potassium. I’d note that pure potassium salt tends to be a bit bitter which is why I don’t recommend it; most won’t use it regularly.
So the above would be a good first step. I’d note that empirically high doses of the amino acid l-taurine seems to help with cramps in some people. If your hydration is good and you’re getting the above electrolytes but are still having problems with cramping, you should consider adding l-taurine to the mix.
I should also mention that stimulants in general and the Ephedrine/caffeine stack (as well as the drug clenbuterol) can cause cramps. This is even more true on low-carbohydrate diets. The reason is that they both cause calcium to flow into the muscles, essentially putting them in a low-level state of contraction. When you put heavy training on top of this, cramping often occurs. This is likely just an interaction between the low-carbohydrate diet causing dehydration and electrolyte loss, the EC/Clen causing calcium to go into the muscle and then throwing training on top of it. It’s not very much fun.
I’d note that even for individuals who aren’t on very low-carbohydrate diets, cramping can still occur especially if they do a lot of training in the heat; as well some of the extremist attitudes towards diet such as ‘Never eat sodium’ among bodybuilders and other trainees can cause problems. Again, this can be related to both hydration and electrolyte imbalance. Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible to give more than vague guidelines on this.
Recent research has found that water and salt loss during training can vary about 10-fold between people. This makes giving a specific single guideline (e.g. drink 1 gallon water) impossible even if people try to do it to keep things simple.
At least in terms of training, the old guideline was that you should weigh yourself before and after workout and for every 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of weight lost, you needed 1 liter (32 oz, 4 cups) of fluid to replace it. This turns out to be wrong, you actually need 1.5 liters (48 oz, 6 cups) of fluid to replace every 1kg of weight lost.
Please note that you don’t have to pound this right after training, but you need to consume that much extra over the course of the day to cover losses. Athletes who do a lot of training in the heat who don’t replace fluid losses can get into trouble pretty quickly.
As well, note that plain water is actually the worst rehydration drink out there. As I discussed in Milk as an Effective Post-Exercise Reydration Drink, fluids containing sodium and potassium are retained far better than those that don’t. Milk also provides good carbohydrates and high-quality protein so it does double duty after training if you can stomach it.
I’d note that, again, weight loss during a given bout of training can vary many fold. One athlete might lose 1-2 kg (2-4.5 lbs) and another might lose 8kg (17 lbs). Like I said, it’s impossible to give a specific value of how much fluid to consume because of this. Weighing before and after for a few workouts will tell you what your personal hydration requirements are.
I’d also mention that sodium losses during activity are just as variable and calculations show that one athlete might only lose a gram or two of sodium during training while another can lose upwards of 20 grams. I am currently unaware of any non-laboratory way to determine sodium losses during training.
But I also don’t believe in heavily restricting sodium for athletes; training in the heat requires that electrolytes be replaced and liberal use of something like the LiteSalt I mentioned above is a good idea for a number of reasons.
So anyhow, that’s sort of a basic look at cramping. It’s a place where I wish I could give more firm guidelines but they simply don’t exist. There is just too much variability and what works for one may not work for another. In general, it tends to be related to hydration and electrolyte intake and this tends to be more of an issue on very low-carbohydrate diets. But it can become an issue on carb-based diets as well.
So make sure you’re getting sufficient fluids, don’t skimp on salt (and get a sodium/potassium salt) and consider supplementation if you’re still having issues. Some people seem more prone to have issues with stimulants as well so if they are causing cramping, you may need to drop them completely.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I remembered reading about similar circumstances once on llyle mcdonalds page...still had it in my bookmarks... Worth a read guys:

Question: I have been following a very low-carbohydrate diet and taking the ephedrine/caffeine stack for the past 4 months. Recently I have been having problems with cramping in the gym, I find that if I get too close to failure on a set, I get very bad cramps. I’m drinking plenty of water and taking a multivitamin and I can’t figure out what’s wrong. Please help.
Answer: Cramping is unfortunately a very complicated topic and while many simple solutions are often thrown out, they don’t always seem to work. Usually the culprit is issues with hydration per se or electrolyte levels; electrolytes are things like potassium, calcium, sodium and magnesium they are involved in transmission of the electrical signals in the body. Hence their name.
I’d note that hydration and electrolyte levels are intertwined as the amount of water in the body affects the relative concentrations of the electrolytes in the body. So if there is more water present, the relative concentration of each of the electrolytes will be lower because the water will dilute them. By the same token, if you are dehydrated, the relative concentrations of the electrolytes goes up.
Most ideas about cramping tend to focus on a single electrolyte, potassium was blamed for quite some time which is the basic origin of the ‘eat a banana to stop cramping’ idea. Bananas are an excellent source of dietary potassium.
The problem is that cramping is way more complicated than this and can be related to all of the different electrolytes, not simply the absolute amounts of each but the interactions between them. Fixing the problem often entails trying different things to figure out what’s causing the problems for a given individual.
Now, a potential issue specific to very low-carbohydrate diets (less than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day) and cramping per se is that these diets cause water loss. As well, the water losses can vary massively from a low of perhaps 1-2 pounds up to 10-15 pounds in larger individuals. As well, very low-carb diets cause electrolyte losses and this can cause cramping and fatigue.
As I detailed in my first book The Ketogenic Diet, very low-carb dieters need to supplement their daily electrolyte intake with the following at a bare minimum:
3-5 grams extra sodium hydrochloride
1 gram potassium
300 mg magnesium
Not only should this help with cramping issues, this has also been shown to fix some of the fatigue issues that often beset people when they start ketogenic diets. Of course, an adequate calcium intake is important under all conditions for bone health. How much you need depends solely on how much dairy foods you’re eating so whether or not you need to supplement extra will depend on that variable.
While you generally have to supplement magnesium separately, you can cover at least some of the potassium and sodium requirements with something like LiteSalt. This is a table salt that contains 1/2 sodium chloride (standard table salt) and 1/2 potassium chloride. It tastes just like normal salt but gives a better balance of sodium and potassium. I’d note that pure potassium salt tends to be a bit bitter which is why I don’t recommend it; most won’t use it regularly.
So the above would be a good first step. I’d note that empirically high doses of the amino acid l-taurine seems to help with cramps in some people. If your hydration is good and you’re getting the above electrolytes but are still having problems with cramping, you should consider adding l-taurine to the mix.
I should also mention that stimulants in general and the Ephedrine/caffeine stack (as well as the drug clenbuterol) can cause cramps. This is even more true on low-carbohydrate diets. The reason is that they both cause calcium to flow into the muscles, essentially putting them in a low-level state of contraction. When you put heavy training on top of this, cramping often occurs. This is likely just an interaction between the low-carbohydrate diet causing dehydration and electrolyte loss, the EC/Clen causing calcium to go into the muscle and then throwing training on top of it. It’s not very much fun.
I’d note that even for individuals who aren’t on very low-carbohydrate diets, cramping can still occur especially if they do a lot of training in the heat; as well some of the extremist attitudes towards diet such as ‘Never eat sodium’ among bodybuilders and other trainees can cause problems. Again, this can be related to both hydration and electrolyte imbalance. Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible to give more than vague guidelines on this.
Recent research has found that water and salt loss during training can vary about 10-fold between people. This makes giving a specific single guideline (e.g. drink 1 gallon water) impossible even if people try to do it to keep things simple.
At least in terms of training, the old guideline was that you should weigh yourself before and after workout and for every 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of weight lost, you needed 1 liter (32 oz, 4 cups) of fluid to replace it. This turns out to be wrong, you actually need 1.5 liters (48 oz, 6 cups) of fluid to replace every 1kg of weight lost.
Please note that you don’t have to pound this right after training, but you need to consume that much extra over the course of the day to cover losses. Athletes who do a lot of training in the heat who don’t replace fluid losses can get into trouble pretty quickly.
As well, note that plain water is actually the worst rehydration drink out there. As I discussed in Milk as an Effective Post-Exercise Reydration Drink, fluids containing sodium and potassium are retained far better than those that don’t. Milk also provides good carbohydrates and high-quality protein so it does double duty after training if you can stomach it.
I’d note that, again, weight loss during a given bout of training can vary many fold. One athlete might lose 1-2 kg (2-4.5 lbs) and another might lose 8kg (17 lbs). Like I said, it’s impossible to give a specific value of how much fluid to consume because of this. Weighing before and after for a few workouts will tell you what your personal hydration requirements are.
I’d also mention that sodium losses during activity are just as variable and calculations show that one athlete might only lose a gram or two of sodium during training while another can lose upwards of 20 grams. I am currently unaware of any non-laboratory way to determine sodium losses during training.
But I also don’t believe in heavily restricting sodium for athletes; training in the heat requires that electrolytes be replaced and liberal use of something like the LiteSalt I mentioned above is a good idea for a number of reasons.
So anyhow, that’s sort of a basic look at cramping. It’s a place where I wish I could give more firm guidelines but they simply don’t exist. There is just too much variability and what works for one may not work for another. In general, it tends to be related to hydration and electrolyte intake and this tends to be more of an issue on very low-carbohydrate diets. But it can become an issue on carb-based diets as well.
So make sure you’re getting sufficient fluids, don’t skimp on salt (and get a sodium/potassium salt) and consider supplementation if you’re still having issues. Some people seem more prone to have issues with stimulants as well so if they are causing cramping, you may need to drop them completely.

Thanks a ton jhot, definitely a good read! After reading that and a few other things, I'm pretty sure my problem was drinking too much water and not having sufficient electrolytes. While the excess water also lowered my present concentrations. But add on the EC stack with what was mentioned in the article about putting calcium in the muscles and affecting contractions, as well as possible potassium depletion from the E. I'll need to make a few changes in my nutrition (it has been sloppy lately) and plan to add in some Gatorade, while stoping the EC for a few days. Try to get my body back in a properly hydrated balance, and then control it better. Very much appreciated for all of the input.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah I am sorry guys I don't mean to be a prick. I am a little grumpy after last night's training. Plus my heart is doing weird shit that has me anxious.

I guess what I meant to say is rather than jump to a supplement examine what you ate and trained and see what can be tweaked. But in reality a guy training hard is going to wake up with a cramp here and there. We can't all be perfect.

Sorry again you and jhot are good dudes. Didn't mean any disrespect.

No worries man, no harm done. We all have those days. You're balancing a lot right now too. I'm sure the the heart thing doesn't make it any better. I hope everything is ok with it.

And yeah, I do agree with you on the cramping. I have had pretty average, and a little worse cramps that most of us have from training especially when hydration or nutrition is a little off. But last night was a first, literally scared me.

But no worries here bro, all is good.

Karma_Kinetics

Karma_Kinetics

Apr 27, 2014
there might be a reason other than electrolyte imbalance. This has happened to me & to others; but if you had an intense training session, sometimes I've had my muscles knot up, not spaz like a charlie horse, but lock as in contracting, not the flickering contractions that charlie horses & cramp spasms. Did you have an intense work out earlier that day? Did you not stretch, or stretch much more than usual? Did you do work around the house, which you weren't used to? Food for thought.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
there might be a reason other than electrolyte imbalance. This has happened to me & to others; but if you had an intense training session, sometimes I've had my muscles knot up, not spaz like a charlie horse, but lock as in contracting, not the flickering contractions that charlie horses & cramp spasms. Did you have an intense work out earlier that day? Did you not stretch, or stretch much more than usual? Did you do work around the house, which you weren't used to? Food for thought.

It was definitely more of what you described, like a knot. It was like the most intense isometric contraction in my hamstring ever. Felt like my muscle was in a huge, hard ball. I had an intense training session the day prior but work a pretty intense labor job and tht could have had something to do with it. I stretched some, but definitely not enough. Especially before work. I bend constantly at work and stand all day. And it seemed like anything I tried to help stop the knotting, it didn't work and just hurt more. It was very painful

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
Although there may be some underlying causes of the cramps, Taurine supplementation fixes it. I would look at my sodium intake too. If you aren't taking in enough sodium and drinking way more water, you'll deplete potassium. I have no clue where taurine fits into the picture other than supplementing it stops cramps.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Although there may be some underlying causes of the cramps, Taurine supplementation fixes it. I would look at my sodium intake too. If you aren't taking in enough sodium and drinking way more water, you'll deplete potassium. I have no clue where taurine fits into the picture other than supplementing it stops cramps.

I used taurine before when I had really bad back pumps and it took a few days but it really did help. I've balanced out my electrolyte/water intake since the cramp and I haven't had any problems since; knock on wood. Thanks for the response RS.

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
To P of Balance: Heart palpitations (?)
I had the same thing when I combined Deca with Equi and my blood became real thick. Then wham! Started with the heart problem.

Then one other time when I started to take too much calcium supplements. Wham again! Heart problems.

I got smart and no longer do Deca with Equi or take calcium. And I upped my cardio.

To I Soul: Looking back on the pain. Did it or did it not make you feel alive?
I had the same thing. A knot in my hamstring so, so painful that it made me believe;-)

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
To P of Balance: Heart palpitations (?)
I had the same thing when I combined Deca with Equi and my blood became real thick. Then wham! Started with the heart problem.

Then one other time when I started to take too much calcium supplements. Wham again! Heart problems.

I got smart and no longer do Deca with Equi or take calcium. And I upped my cardio.

To I Soul: Looking back on the pain. Did it or did it not make you feel alive?
I had the same thing. A knot in my hamstring so, so painful that it made me believe;-)

Ha it definitely made me feel alive but thought it was gonna kill me too! I hope I never have that again.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Cramping tends to be due more to a lack of magnesium than potassium, although both are important in water balance in the cells.

Magnesium is needed for the relaxation phase of muscle function, while calcium controls the contraction phase. Magnesium is largely able to do this because it has the ability to block the muscle uptake of calcium; it also affects muscular function by influencing neurotransmitters in the CNS.

Potassium is found mainly within the cells (around 98%). Intracellular potassium helps to maintain a proper balance of the fluid concentrations within cells by regulating the amount of sodium that is allowed to enter the cell ~ this controls fluid retention in the body. Magnesium triggers a mechanism which helps to pump sodium out of the cells and replace it with potassium.

In terms of supplementation, calcium and magnesium should be taken together as they both compete for absorption, but it's often not a bad idea to add in some potassium at the same time. Ideally for cramping I would run Mg/Ca in a 2:1 ratio (something like 400mg/200mg is good to start with) with potassium intake somewhere between 50-100mg per day. Look for a magnesium supplement that is oxide free as this form is generally very poorly absorbed in the body. Taurine is not a bad thing to add in but I would definitely start with the Mg and see how that works first of all.

Hope some of this is useful info IronSoul, MF.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Cramping tends to be due more to a lack of magnesium than potassium, although both are important in water balance in the cells.

Magnesium is needed for the relaxation phase of muscle function, while calcium controls the contraction phase. Magnesium is largely able to do this because it has the ability to block the muscle uptake of calcium; it also affects muscular function by influencing neurotransmitters in the CNS.

Potassium is found mainly within the cells (around 98%). Intracellular potassium helps to maintain a proper balance of the fluid concentrations within cells by regulating the amount of sodium that is allowed to enter the cell ~ this controls fluid retention in the body. Magnesium triggers a mechanism which helps to pump sodium out of the cells and replace it with potassium.

In terms of supplementation, calcium and magnesium should be taken together as they both compete for absorption, but it's often not a bad idea to add in some potassium at the same time. Ideally for cramping I would run Mg/Ca in a 2:1 ratio (something like 400mg/200mg is good to start with) with potassium intake somewhere between 50-100mg per day. Look for a magnesium supplement that is oxide free as this form is generally very poorly absorbed in the body. Taurine is not a bad thing to add in but I would definitely start with the Mg and see how that works first of all.

Hope some of this is useful info IronSoul, MF.

Definitely helpful MF, much appreciated bro. After reading that, it definitely makes sense that the calcium concentrations in my body were much higher than magnesium, especially because of the ephedrine. I was reading that ephedrine actually puts more calcium into the muscles. So if my magnesium levels were low already and running the EC, it sounds very possible that these are the two primary causes . I'm sure potassium and sodium were low as well from excess water intake, sweating, and urination at work. But I think you may have uncovered the real issue.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic