Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Exercises to target upper pec/ shoulder post surgery?

S

squallreno

Feb 5, 2023
Long story short, have had surgery on my ac and cc ligement and had my deltoid reattached. I now find that the area where i had muscle is now indented which has wasted away or has atrophy. I now am seeking treatment as there are still issues but I haven't been able to find a ortho that has seen a case like mine. I have been told it is possibly reversable with exercise, which could take time and have been told its possibly surgical scarring. I am tired of the waiting game and want to start engaging the muscles. What exercises would target this area and possibly wake these muscles up? Please don't worry about causing any further pain or injury. My pain level is already at a high number and I am told its structurely stable. I am just looking for exercises. Thank you all for reading this and anyone that helps .

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 54
Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
can you raise your arm up to shoulder level either if front of you or laterally?

S

squallreno

Feb 5, 2023
I have full range of motion, yes. There is no weight limit either.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Well, does that mean the surgeon says no weight limit?
Movement is the key and LOTS of it until you can add real weight without fucking up the repairs, can you do front and lateral raises with weights in a controlled fashion UP and DOWN (the controlled part?)
How about wall pushups or on a monkey bar set-up with the bar at like 40" or so from the floor for 20 reps or so?
Maybe I am thinking on the easy side but from my own experience is all I can go from.
How extensive was your surgery/repair and how much damage can you potentially do if you are reckless?
How long ago was the surgery release to excercise date?
Pain can be a great measurement tool when used properly.

S

squallreno

Feb 5, 2023
Right now I am dealing with multiple ideas of what CAN be wrong but nobody treating ornate afraid to treat the pain. Possible issues with the clavical. So as mentioned it's all about getting exercise to try and promote the muscle to get back to normal at this point. Weight is to be as tolerable.

As for the surgery, it's a very long and complicated anwser. The focus on any repair moving forward would be to rebuild the actual clavical bone. The previous surgeon suggested that, but did not want to do it himself, so that would.be the point of release which was a year ago roughly. insurance is holding me back with finding a Ortho that does complex and complicated cases so as I work on that I want to wake this muscle up. No further damage can be done unless I attempted some weight that I couldn't perform. so any recommendations would be on the low side of weight with building it up very slowly.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I would try the wall/ bar pushups at as low a degree as possible starting higher and working down on the angle, then do the front and side laterals, higher reps with lower weights for a few weeks until you can safely increase the load.
I have been through both shoulders rebuilt and held together with flexible cables along with both clavicles being broken.
Slow recovery 2 years plus into them now and still low (for me) strength.
Stick with it and don't fuck it up again you will see results.
Cheers

S

squallreno

Feb 5, 2023
I would try the wall/ bar pushups at as low a degree as possible starting higher and working down on the angle, then do the front and side laterals, higher reps with lower weights for a few weeks until you can safely increase the load.
I have been through both shoulders rebuilt and held together with flexible cables along with both clavicles being broken.
Slow recovery 2 years plus into them now and still low (for me) strength.
Stick with it and don't fuck it up again you will see results.
Cheers
Did you go at it every other day ?

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Did you go at it every other day ?
Very light stretching everyday, but NOT until after I was released by my surgeon and then I would train what I could depending on the "feel" in the muscles/tendons etc.
I still am careful not to fuck up my recovery and use waaay lighter weights than I have used in 35 years...hah!
57 now so taking no chances as recovery is slow as hell.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Getting blood to the area helps healing. I had shoulder surgery about 3 years ago and it was a long recovery. I did light lateral, front, and rear delt raises every push day to pull blood into the area. I was also able to do low DB benches w/ light weight holding the DB together so my palms were facing each other.

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
Nothing to add... im 4 weeks out of shoulder surgery so reading with interest

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Had a pretty indepth back surgery last April. Coming back from that has been a lengthy process. I didn't even consider exercise for 6 months. Then I did a lot of stretching in the pool. Then dry stretching. I didn't touch weights until new years, and that was just cables and machines, LIGHT. Now I'm starting to incorporate heavier cable/machines before I consider free weights. Luckily I have been on TRT throughout the whole process so muscle wasting has been minimized. You're in the right place for advice though. A LOT of us are older and have broke down a time or two.

S

squallreno

Feb 5, 2023
If i can muster some time to write it all out, i'll tell my story. That said , on day 2 of doing 5 sets of 20 on forward and side lateral raises very slowly. will report how things are in time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic