Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Exclusion of women's bodybuilding in NPC and IFBB events becoming a reality

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
For years now the demise of female bodybuilding has been in the clutches of despair. Pro and amateur female bodybuilders have been training harder than ever for a sport that is slowly minimizing the female bodybuilding division and in some cases completely excluding it. A recent thread posted on the Muscular Development forum states "According to undocumented sources at a recent seminar in Colorado the NPC is eliminated NPC female bodybuilding and replacing it with Women's Physique in 2012." Because this is unsubstantiated we can only hope that it's not true since the Women's Physique round has yet to be put to the test and portrays the analogy of "putting the cart before the horse."

The Physique division is creating a change within the sport; just as the Bikini division changed the shape of Figure. Yes, the Figure division. In the past few years competitors in the NPC and IFBB who were known for harder lines and muscularity had to change their nutritional and training programs in order to place higher because their "look" was no longer deemed the quintessential figure build. Smoother, softer builds replaced harder physiques and left some of the best conditioned athletes with lower scores.

Though we all know change is inevitable this is a change that will effect women in the sport who have given up the most. As fans and athletes already know top ranking female bodybuilders win a substantially lower prize purse than their male counterparts. For example; four time Mr. Olympia Jay Cutler won $200,000 while six time Ms. Olympia Iris Kyle won $28,000; just over an eighth of Cutler's winnings.

Not only are female bodybuilders paid less but many female bodybuilders have spent years perfecting physiques with the use of performance drugs and have lost much of their femininity. They have worked hard to maintain muscle mass but have since been considered "freakish" and "manly" to the mainstream and now are at an even greater loss with the decrease in the bodybuilding division. Unfortunately, the mainstream is not the only group ostracizing female bodybuilding as there are athletes within the industry who do not necessarily like the look of the female bodybuilders.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be a happy medium as the New York Pro is not including female bodybuilding this year, either. The event is set for May 28, 2011 with the addition of Pro Figure but no where on the flyer is women's bodybuilding.

So what happens next? Will it be replaced by the Physique round? At this point it's unknown but one thing for sure; if all the athletes don't defend women's bodybuilding it will soon be something we read about in old magazines and articles online.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I for one don't find the top end chicks like Iris Kyle attractive or hot. But goddamit those women put in a lot of hard work and time into what they love to do and live for. And for that all they should be able to flare their huge lats with much pride and backing. They don't deserve to be leftbin the cold when sobmany of them work so hard

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I think its sad in its own way - I mean the males are beyond masculine and the women are masculine they put a lot of hard work into their sport to have excluded for more TandA is just sad...allthough I have no appeal for it personally anymore, I do respect the work they put into it, its the same I put into my own physique.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I have a close friend who is a top level female LHW. At 31 years old, if she does not take her pro-card in 2011, the last 13 years of her life have been spent on a nonexistent career. BB is her trade, she's a freak of nature. Can you imagine going in to work monday and finding out that your profession is no longer...a profession? Truly sad.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
IMO female body building is somewhat of a freak show and should be pretty much eliminated. One thing for guys to take male hormones in excess but some really pretty women are ruining their lives for what ???? You don't even make any serious money as a top female body builder. Fitness models (Jamie Eason) are completely different. Very feminine and have the ability to make serious cash.

Again just my opinion as a woman.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Blame the promoters, they carry much of the weight in promoting these ladies. I am not saying equal pay, but $28K seems very low for such a prestigous competition.

P

Phoenix

Nov 14, 2010
It's nice to see the guys who posted in this thread are able to do so calmly and with a positive attitude. :) That's really rare on bb'ing forums. I personally love the look of female bodybuilders -- all bodybuilders impress me because they have all obviously put in a lot of hard work, discipline, time and money to achieve the bodies they have. I realize it's not everyone's "thing", but I think it's awesome, and I love to see it.

I know there are issues about what's "marketable" and what you can make a career out of, etc., but I'm just talking about the other side of it here.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
And lets be serious, whats the market for a manly looking woman ??? A woman so big and so juiced from AAS she sounds like a man and if you took her head off would look like a man. What do you market with her ??? That I believe is another reason why female body building is looked down upon and there is no money in it.

I am not anti-female bb'rs. I am just taking a strictly outside view and from a monetary standpoint.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
The hard work is there, no doubt, but for what? The majority of people don't like the look of females looking like men. Bodybuilding shows are businesses. If people don't come to certain events, it doesn't make sense to hold that event anymore. I don't have any scientific data to back this, but I bet the majority of people attending the female BB shows are there for support of another, not because they find it attractive and want to see it.

IMO, they need to reel it all back. Return to the age of nice looking physiques on the men (Arnold's days), not the freaks of today, do away with female BB, but keep the female shows that show femininity.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
The hard work is there, no doubt, but for what? The majority of people don't like the look of females looking like men. Bodybuilding shows are businesses. If people don't come to certain events, it doesn't make sense to hold that event anymore. I don't have any scientific data to back this, but I bet the majority of people attending the female BB shows are there for support of another, not because they find it attractive and want to see it.

IMO, they need to reel it all back. Return to the age of nice looking physiques on the men (Arnold's days), not the freaks of today, do away with female BB, but keep the female shows that show femininity.

Agreed. The fitness models are the ones making the $$$$$$

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
My wife competes nationally as a bb'r and she is actually HAPPY this change is coming. SHE has been told SEVERAL times at shows that she needs to "come in harder", and NEEDS " to go the NEXT level" if she is be more successful. She does not believe (nor do I ) that women NEED to be EHANCED to compete at a high level. IT has become a shame that womens bb-ing as turned into a DRUG enhanced realm that only the ones who use hard core drugs can compete at that level. Granted...if that is what you WANT to do...go for it BUT women that compete and WHO dont go to that level of hormone use (at current judging standardds) will never place high. My wife WILL not go that route...and iam for one am very glad.

I have been to 4 shows this year and EVERY show had either one or NONE women bb-ing competitors. MAYbe this will bring back the classic look of female bb-ing back into vogue.
My wife will be doing the physique at North American's this year.....

Last edited:
scarl3tbutt3rfly

scarl3tbutt3rfly

TID Lady Member
Feb 25, 2011
My wife competes nationally as a bb'r and she is actually HAPPY this change is coming. SHE has been told SEVERAL times at shows that she needs to "come in harder", and NEEDS " to go the NEXT level" if she is be more successful. She does not believe (nor do I ) that women NEED to be EHANCED to compete at a high level. IT has become a shame that womens bb-ing as turned into a DRUG enhanced realm that only the ones who use hard core drugs can compete at that level. Granted...if that is what you WANT to do...go for it BUT women that compete and WHO dont go to that level of hormone use (at current judging standardds) will never place high. My wife WILL not go that route...and iam for one am very glad.

I have been to 4 shows this year and EVERY show had either one or NONE women bb-ing competitors. MAYbe this will bring back the classic look of female bb-ing back into vogue.
My wife will be doing the physique at North American's this year.....View attachment 503

She looks great! Good luck to her!

There are some people that are saying FBB is gone after this year, but there are a good amount of people that are saying it won't be. Apparently they try and say they are doing away with FBB and it still manages to pull through and live on.

I may not want to go to that level myself, but I am behind anyone that wants to. It is not my place to judge what someone else wants for themselves. I think the Physique division will be awesome and definitely give those women who don't want to use drugs or get the kind of size that Iris and top level FBB have a place to compete! I'm excited for it! :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic