Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
bsimon7074
What's New?

EPI and failing to gain weight, anyone have any experience ?

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
My dad was recently diagnosed with Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency after a couple years of severe stomach pains, a bunch of tests and a previous diagnosis of malignant anorexia with no solutions.

We are unsure of cause, and his pancreas is still working well enough to produce insulin according to blood tests but I’m encouraging a glucose monitor.

He is taking massive amounts of Creon now, but he is struggling to maintain even 120lbs at 5’9” ish… and still struggles with diarrhea, pain, etc.

There isn’t a lot of information available, the dietician he was referred to had no clue, so I’m reaching out everywhere I can think of for any anecdotal experience from everyone. It’s all trial and error at this point, from low fat, to low fiber, no dairy, yes dairy… on and on…

If you have nothing specific drop your best weight gainer diet tips below!
Thanks!

19Norris

19Norris

Feb 5, 2023
For weight gain have him try a lot of cream of rice. Easy digestion and high GI so the insulin response won’t really matter

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I would look into doing low residue diet as opposed to strictly just sticking with EPI diet food lists- mainly this is easily digestible foods targeted towards GI issues and GI inflamation.. (alternatively FODMAP diet might be helpful in promoting healing as well)… typically both are helpful with people with crohns and other issues causing GI inflamation, and inducing remission… I would also supplement with a high quality probiotic that comes and is stored in a fridge. I wouldn’t get the kind that’s sitting on a shelf at room temp at a store.. you want live cultures, which are temp sensitive…

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic