Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Encouraging the Wife to Compete

Seabass

Seabass

Feb 19, 2011
Last time I posted up about the Mrs. I posted a pic that shows her before/after 50lbs loss. Since then she hasn't really lost much or any more weight, but she HAS continued to change her body composition, so I'm sure she has lost some fat and gained some muscle. I mentioned the idea to her of competing in figure, even just once in her life, because I think she'd enjoy it, or at least enjoy the experience of it once.

Of course, she blew me off and pupu'd the idea.

Then an older lady she knows at the gym mentioned it to her, and suddenly she seems interested. Go figure.

My intent is to get her to a show as a spectator in the next couple of months, and judge her interest afterwards. There is a show in October that I think she can make if she starts preparing soon/now, but I don't know if she's committed to ti yet.

Anyway, I think it's exciting that she's even considering it. Not that I think she'd WIN, but again, the process and even I think she'd really enjoy, being more fit that she's ever been before, and standing on stage like that. She kinda gets off on that kind of attention.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Competition is exciting.While i dont partake in bodybuilding competitions I do know the thrill of it.She will find along her journey just how far she can push herself. She definetly has a supporter here! If she does please pm me and let me know what show she chooses i would love to come see her!

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I would take her to a show first. Let her see and judge with her own eyes the level of commitment needed to look good on stage....she'll either be hooked, or done with it.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
if she is expressing a bit of interest after the woman at the gym mentioned it to her, i think your idea of taking her to a show is perfect. she can see if she wants that look and she can talk to some of the ladies and see what they say. i havent nor will i ever probably compete but i really admire the women that do as it takes tons of dedication! she has you behind her for support and that is the best thing!

let us know what she decides

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I am someone that recently lost a bit of weight, and want to compete.. my want to compete comes from my husbands trainer commenting to him that he felt if I cut ( this was when I first began) that he thought I would have the ideal shape for bikini, so I kinda kept it in the back of my mind, right now I am looking at a November show… but honestly looking at competitors can be so overwhelming, in that just don’t feel I have that look, or body, or anything close…. So I kind of avoid it so for me going to a show could have been overwhelming or make me think it could never be a possibility… Just another angle

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
it all starts with an imagination. we live once and for godsake why not? those who get in great shape achieve them because they have a reaon for all that pain. use the competition as a motivation to get in shape of life time. trust me, it feels great.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
find a show...post a sticky on the fridge...dont say anything to her....see if she says anything....then it will be in her head..she will either come to u with a answer or blow it off..but u will know

Miss Q

Miss Q

TID Lady Member
Aug 13, 2011
Last time I posted up about the Mrs. I posted a pic that shows her before/after 50lbs loss. Since then she hasn't really lost much or any more weight, but she HAS continued to change her body composition, so I'm sure she has lost some fat and gained some muscle. I mentioned the idea to her of competing in figure, even just once in her life, because I think she'd enjoy it, or at least enjoy the experience of it once.

Of course, she blew me off and pupu'd the idea.

Then an older lady she knows at the gym mentioned it to her, and suddenly she seems interested. Go figure.

My intent is to get her to a show as a spectator in the next couple of months, and judge her interest afterwards. There is a show in October that I think she can make if she starts preparing soon/now, but I don't know if she's committed to ti yet.

Anyway, I think it's exciting that she's even considering it. Not that I think she'd WIN, but again, the process and even I think she'd really enjoy, being more fit that she's ever been before, and standing on stage like that. She kinda gets off on that kind of attention.

I saw your pics of your wife and....WOW .....very impressive results. Her whole body composition has changed....she should be VERY proud!! You guys should definitely attend a few contests as they all seem to bring different levels of competition to each show. IMO it takes alot of hard work and guts to get up on that stage and if it's something that SHE really wants to do then she should go for it!! Have you competed as well?

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Agree - attend the show - she may or may not find the competition criteria of interest (i.e. quarter turns .. you can get all blinged out, but the criteria is still just quarter turns). I would also suggest she talk to the competitors there - most people are very happy to talk to anyone who has questions about their prep, how they felt about it, was it hard, was it worth it, etc. You either like it or you don't, but IMO there's NOTHING that is more rewarding and more challenging than your first show. It strips you down to the basics and you discover what you are made of - literally - how you manage your behavior under the challenges of a restricted diet, the importance of a consistent and persistent training & cardio regimen - it can really stress you trying to stay on an even keel for 4 months. It can get old, it can get boring, it can get frustrating trying to anticipate where you 'll be in your progress relative to your target date. But when its over, it is truly one of the greatest senses of accomplishment I've ever had.

cheddar cheese

cheddar cheese

TID Lady Member
Aug 29, 2011
Another thing she may want to inquire about is after the show and the affects it can have on your body and mind. The "off season" weight gain after being that lean can be incredibly difficult for some to deal with. There is an abundance of information out there on post competition blues/rebounding.

grayclaws

grayclaws

Aug 23, 2011
Try doing a show yourself and get her to support you in your show, see the excitment and than it's something you can share together. My wife has supported me in my shows, and she is compeating in her first one along with my daughter in six weeks! We have now made it a full family affair! Deffinetly cool to say we are the baddest family on the block!

Miss Q

Miss Q

TID Lady Member
Aug 13, 2011
Try doing a show yourself and get her to support you in your show, see the excitment and than it's something you can share together. My wife has supported me in my shows, and she is compeating in her first one along with my daughter in six weeks! We have now made it a full family affair! Deffinetly cool to say we are the baddest family on the block!

I bet mouth's drop open when the 3 of you walk in to the room!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic