pbtom
What's New?

Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men

Insulin resistance is currently a major health problem. This may be because of a marked decrease in daily physical activity during recent decades combined with constant food abundance. This lifestyle collides with our genome, which was most likely selected in the late Paleolithic era (50,000–10,000 BC) by criteria that favored survival in an environment characterized by fluctuations between periods of feast and famine. The theory of thrifty genes states that these fluctuations are required for optimal metabolic function. We mimicked the fluctuations in eight healthy young men [25.0 ± 0.1 yr (mean ± SE); body mass index: 25.7 ± 0.4 kg/m2] by subjecting them to intermittent fasting every second day for 20 h for 15 days. Euglycemic hyperinsulinemic (40 mU·min–1·m–2) clamps were performed before and after the intervention period. Subjects maintained body weight (86.4 ± 2.3 kg; coefficient of variation: 0.8 ± 0.1%). Plasma free fatty acid and -hydroxybutyrate concentrations were 347 ± 18 and 0.06 ± 0.02 mM, respectively, after overnight fast but increased (P < 0.05) to 423 ± 86 and 0.10 ± 0.04 mM after 20-h fasting, confirming that the subjects were fasting. Insulin-mediated whole body glucose uptake rates increased from 6.3 ± 0.6 to 7.3 ± 0.3 mg·kg–1·min–1 (P = 0.03), and insulin-induced inhibition of adipose tissue lipolysis was more prominent after than before the intervention (P = 0.05). After the 20-h fasting periods, plasma adiponectin was increased compared with the basal levels before and after the intervention (5,922 ± 991 vs. 3,860 ± 784 ng/ml, P = 0.02). This experiment is the first in humans to show that intermittent fasting increases insulin-mediated glucose uptake rates, and the findings are compatible with the thrifty gene concept.

D

dough21

Jul 8, 2013
I've bee fasting for about a week. I fast for 23 hours and have an hour eating widow (8pm-9pm. I will not eat until 8pm the next day consuming only water and bcaa powder until then. It was really hard at first but I love it.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
That's really good news for IF supporters. Still, I wonder what exactly they ate and how that compares to a higher meal frequency of the exact same diet. It only makes sense that their blood sugar would be stable throughout the fasting period. That has to help insulin resistance which is the whole point of eating low GI. But eating a lot of food in a small period when the fast ends, will inevitably cause an insulin spike. If we broke that same food down into smaller more frequent meals, would the insulin response be the same? Would the effect on insulin resistance be the same?

These studies never answer the real questions. They always draw a one sided conclusion.

brooknichole15

brooknichole15

TID Lady Member
Dec 5, 2012
As with most research studies, this was done with healthy young men (probably graduate students). Have you read any literature/studies on IF for females yet?
Thanks for the post!

acupuncturetreatm

acupuncturetreatm

Feb 6, 2015
Post your healthy muscle building and fat loss meals here.
=
Acumedica : No1 health clinic, offers Traditional Chinese and Western style acupuncture treatments at London,

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic