Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Ed Corney Passed away

Heady Muscle

Heady Muscle

VIP Member
Oct 13, 2014
I got to meet and hang out with Ed pretty often in the SF Bay Area in the middle 80's to mid 90s. He was at all the AAU shows and was introduced to him by Will Willis and Rick Grizzley Brown. Probably one of the most sincere, friendly people i have met. He actually helped me with my first teen show posing routine (which I won best poser and won the class). After an AAU show in Alameda we all went to a family bar and watched the Tyson Spinks fight (all 90 seconds of it). I sat with Ed, Will Willis, Mike Dayton and his wife. I was all of 16 years old. Ed was hyped for the fight and him and Dayton played box prior to it.

Ever time I saw him he give me a handshake and a shoulder hug. The last time I saw him was at the Arnold many years ago. He didn't remember me at first and maybe not at all, but we talked a while about the old AAU days. Damn good dude. I am going to the Arnold this year and I was hoping to possibly see him, then heard this news.

RIP Ed. Thanks for being a superhuman in every type of way.

Hall of Fame Bodybuilder Ed Corney Passes Away at 85 – Fitness Volt Bodybuilding & Fitness News
https://www.evolutionofbodybuilding.net/ed-corney-passes-away/

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Great memories Heady. I have met a few from his era, but was never at that level you were. Ed considered by his peers as the best poser from the 70s I was told. Dayton was a curious one, known first for physique, then went on to doing odd strongman stunts like breaking his way out of handcuffs, and hanging himself to demonstrate neck strength. I remember that non-classic Tyson fight too, back when Tyson was in his prime there was uneasy talk in the industry that his fights would eventually destroy PPV, as in, who wants to pay big bucks to see a quick fight where you already know the winner ahead of time ..... the talk peaked after that fight.

Good on ya for winning under Ed's tutelage, bet he was more proud of the posing award than the class.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I was just a kid when Arnold hit the scene. A buddy and me would search out and seek everything we could get our hands regarding bodybulding. Ed was one of those "you see that guy" and we'd always look at who was in the background of pictures or training with Arnold and Franco. Ed was a great and lived to be 85. Thank you Ed for a lifetime of inspiration. RIP Ed Corney.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I always liked that guy. RIP.

Heady Muscle

Heady Muscle

VIP Member
Oct 13, 2014
Great memories Heady. I have met a few from his era, but was never at that level you were. Ed considered by his peers as the best poser from the 70s I was told. Dayton was a curious one, known first for physique, then went on to doing odd strongman stunts like breaking his way out of handcuffs, and hanging himself to demonstrate neck strength. I remember that non-classic Tyson fight too, back when Tyson was in his prime there was uneasy talk in the industry that his fights would eventually destroy PPV, as in, who wants to pay big bucks to see a quick fight where you already know the winner ahead of time ..... the talk peaked after that fight.

Good on ya for winning under Ed's tutelage, bet he was more proud of the posing award than the class.
Mike Dayton was a trip. I remember the first time I saw his demonstrations and was floored. The first time I saw him hang himself I remember saying to Will, 'wtf is this guy doing?'

Those Northern Cal AAU shows were fun Vaudevillian like and attracted every type. I was very fortunate to be able to fall into that crowd at a young age during a simpler time.

Reactions: CFM
CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Mike Dayton was a trip. I remember the first time I saw his demonstrations and was floored. The first time I saw him hang himself I remember saying to Will, 'wtf is this guy doing?'

Those Northern Cal AAU shows were fun Vaudevillian like and attracted every type. I was very fortunate to be able to fall into that crowd at a young age during a simpler time.

LOL! I hung myself at school. Almost 40 years later I still hear about that at class reunions. Thanks for reminding me where I got the idea.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Another from the golden era gone to soon. Rest in peace Ed.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Seen him at the SF NPC shows every time I went. Last one I went to was 2010, so it's been awhile.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic