Latest Member
Samson0692
What's New?

Eating for Optimal Brain Function - Need Help

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
I need some diet help. I used to be able to function and work for 8+ hours a day every day when I was in school. Now I feel tired without taking a bunch of supplements. I think my diet is lacking because when I stopped lifting and eating for that lifestyle everything went down hill. I take a lot of nootropics. Some of the medication I've been prescribed over the years causes more and more side effects the longer one is on it. I have no desire to mention what this is. Any alternative has the same or more side effects. At this pont my goal is to eat for optimal brain function. Everything else is second. I was thinking a keto type diet as eating carbs causes brain fog. There's very few carbs that don't. Aside from kombucha, anything with carbs is detrimental for me. Below is the diet I had in college that was custom designed for me. I found it in one of my old emails. Is there any improvements I could make on this?

Slic.

2163 cals 265g pro 127 carbs 64g fat

Meal 1 (379 cals 56g pro, 3g carbs 14g fats)

3oz 95% lean ground beef (148 cals 23g pro, 0 carb, 5g fat)
1 Large whole egg (71 cals 6g pro 0 carbs 5g fat)
1 cup egg whites (117 cals 26g pro 2g carbs 0g fat)
1 cup spinach (7 cals 1g pro 1g carbs 0g fat) (fold into middle of eggs when done)
1 cup green tea
4 caps or 4g fish oil (36 cals 0g pro 0g carb 4g fats)

Meal 2 (430 cals 52g pro 11g carbs 20g fat)

2 scoop protein shake (in water) (260 cals 46g pro 6g carbs 5g fat)
1oz almonds (170 cals 6g pro 5g carbs 15g fat)

Meal 3 (313 27g pro 36g carbs 8g fat)

1 cup sliced cucumber (16 cals 1g pro 4g carbs 0g fat)
1 cup spinach (7 cals 1g pro 1g carbs 0g fat)
valley fresh premium chunk white chicken in water or 4oz boneless skinless chicken breast (85g) (90 cals 20g pro 0g carb 2g fat)
2tbs low fat mayo (30 cals 0g pro 4g carbs 2g fat)
1 whole wheat tortilla (170 cals 5g pro 27g carbs 4g fat)
(add whatever spices you want just dont salt it)

Meal 4 (376 cals 47g pro 37g carbs 5g fat) this should be post workout

2 scoop protein shake (in water) (260 cals 46g pro 6g carbs 5g fat)
1 large apple (116 cals 1g pro 31g carbs 0g fat)

Meal 5 (452 cals 55g pro 22g carbs 15g fat)

6oz sirloin steak (300 cals 52g pro 0g carbs 8g fat)
1/2 large sweet potato (81 cals 2g pro 19g carbs 0g fat)
1 cup spinach (7 cals 1g pro 1g carbs 0g fat)
1/2 tbsp olive oil (59 cals 0g pro 0g carbs 7g fat)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (5 cals 0g pro 2g carbs 0g fat)
green tea

Meal 6 (213 cal 28g pro 18g carbs 2g fat)

226g 1% Cottage Cheese (no sodium added) (163 cals, 28g pro, 6g carb, 2g fat)
1 can peaches (50 cal 0g pro 12 carbs 0g fat)
cinnimon

Reactions: CFM
CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Looks as good as it gets. Get on it!

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I know most "bro" types will say to keep protein high as fuck...
The reality is, you only need 1g per lb of lean mass. So if your 190 and 10% (which most are not) you only need about 175g of protein today for scientifically proven optimum conversion.
Carbs help your gray matter. They keep your brain sharp same with fats.
I'd scale back protein a bit. Take those calories and split them 70% to carbs 30% to fat.
See how your mental foggy ness Goes then

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
I found that there are much better teas than green tea for brain function. Nymphaea Caerulea is a great one. Not too expensive when bought by the lb or kg. An oz on ebay is around $14 with shipping. But for brain function it's much more effective.

Slic.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
As much as I hate to say this, the reality is WE ALL AGE...I have found tho, that most water, food and in a lot of areas, the air we breath is at it's lowest quality...The food is laden with chemicals, same as water...Air is extremely polluted!...So then, if u can, eat organic (everything) drink purified water...The air u breath?!...As the Italian maffia would say, "forget about it"...

I say this because with people aging plus eating a bunch of chemicals that cause all sorts of ailments, one has to take this in to consideration...Your body looses it's ability to fight off the toxins u consume as we age, therefore, u have to watch what u eat (besides for staying lean and building muscle)...U've got to eat for health as well!...Anyway, just my opinion!

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I found that there are much better teas than green tea for brain function. Nymphaea Caerulea is a great one. Not too expensive when bought by the lb or kg. An oz on ebay is around $14 with shipping. But for brain function it's much more effective.

Slic.

Why not white tea?

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
White tea is green tea without the caffeine. I already consume a tsp of matcha twice a day. Nymphaea Caerulea on the other hand functions as a nootropic. If you can try it and lmk what you think.

Slic.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
1 whole wheat tortilla (170 cals 5g pro 27g carbs 4g fat)
Keto, yes.
I would ditch the wheat tortilla and substitute with romaine lettuce leaves. Your brain doesn't need the grain. And add fats as GMs advised. Coconut oil or good old fashioned butter for searing your meat. Both are better choices than olive oil which has a lower smoke point and is best used cold for salad dressings.

Last edited:
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Keto, yes.
I would ditch the wheat tortilla and substitute with romaine lettuce leaves. Your brain doesn't need the grain. And add fats as GMs advised. Coconut oil or good old fashioned butter for searing your meat. Both are better choices than olive oil which has a lower smoke point and is best used cold for salad dressings.

Dead on!!!!

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Slic,

I was just thinking today...have you had your DHEA level checked recently? This declines about 5% each year after 30.

Other power foods for your brain: avocado (glutamine/muscle fuel),pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds (nutty),and if you can tolerate dairy, kefir is excellent for gut health.

Energy is all about mitochondrial health. Infrared red light, sunlight, vibration all support mitochondrial function as well as structured water.

And if you've never heard of structured water it's amazing science. 2/3s of our muscles, by volume, is water - more than 99 out of every 100 molecules in our muscles are water molecules.

There aren't just three stages of water: solid, liquid and vapor -- Dr. Gerald Pollack discovered the 4th stage of water, Exclusion Zone (EZ) water - highly viscus like honey, between solid & liquid. This is the type of water in our cells that supports mitochondrial function. The more EZ water in our bodies, the better our cells/muscles function. And when you mix butterfat into water, it creates a huge amount of EZ water. (Think bulletproof coffee.)

There are many interesting 'how to' UTube vids on creating structured water economically at home.

Further reading: The Fourth Phase of Water: Beyond Solid, Liquid, and Vapor by Gerald H. Pollack ISBN-13: 978-0962689543

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Keto, yes.

I disagree olive oil wins every time, coconut plantations are destroying the atmosphere as well now that they are clear cutting acres per minute to expand them.
Almonds are the only worse culprit....
Simply google olive oil vs coconut oil the winner is obvious.

OP go to bbc.com they had a recent article on brain foods and getting smarter use their search feature.
There is a TED talk on this as well on youtube
Cheers

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic