lower body:

squat 185x8x3
RDL 165x8x3
shrug 185x8x3
calf raise both same time BWx20x3

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Still here. been keeping the workouts like posted above for a bit. The past several weeks I have changed up some. Added HIIT about 3 days a week. I do Bicycle sprints so I have held off of squats some. Still do RDL and calf raise though. Been doing one to two workouts a week hitting everything except quads using two to three sets of 8 to 10.

Diet is going lean. Since feb 1 I have went from 160 down to 153. keeping it slow and have cleaned up the diet. looking to be at 149 to 150 by weeks end. If calculations are correct, and I was not more than 20%BF at 160, and if I lose no muscle, my goal will be 145. Once at 145 I will see how things look. I hope to hold there for a bit sporting 10% bf. If not, I will continue the cut down to 140 and hold for sure.

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Latest workout. monday. During the day dit 4 sets of HIIT on bicycle. later in the evening I did an antagonist superset for each muscle group (at least I think I did) one set of one exercise, then straight to one set of a different movement, rest, then do that again for 2 to 3 sets.
movement/weight./reps/sets

Tbar row 100x9x3
DB bench press 55x9x2

DB overhead press 35x8x1 35x7x1
cable lat pulldown 90x9x2

Rom deadlift 155x8x2
double leg calf raise bwx20x2

Shrug 175x9x3 alt grip
bent over lateral 10x10x2

DB curl 20x10x3 strict elbows back startoff neutral and twist to supinated grip and squeeze at top.
tricep pulldown 40x9x3 two handed rope 40lb plates on the carrier

breakfast: 1/4 cup granola + nuts (buy at local bulk natural vegain food store)
1/2 cup kashi go lean
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup spinache

snack: 2 oz chicken breast
1/4 cup (dry) brown rice
1/2 cup brocilie

Lunch: 4 oz chicken breast
1/4 cup (dry) brown rice
1/2 cup brocilie

snack 2 oz chicken breast
1/2 cup brocilie

dinner 4 oz roast
1/4 cup macaroni noodle with real chedder
1/2 cup green beans

Post work out 1.5 servings of EAS whey only.

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
short term looking to cut down to 10% or so BF. Enough to see at least a 4 pack of abs. Long term is to get to 150 to 160 at 10% or so BF. Going for proportion on a smaller frame. (5'2") More strength is good but I want the look for sure.

I have been in a mild bulk status for about a year and a half while learning better training, intensity and recovery methods that work for me. Went from 135 to 160. Before that I had been in a prolonged cut to loose weight since I had been a fat fella of 205. Finally lost down to 135. Was trying to get well ripped before I began a bulk but started loosing too much muscle once I hit 140.

Last edited:
E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Continuing my path. Currently at 148 to 150 range in weight, down from 160 this past winter still 5’ 2” tall. At 47, height aint ever gonna change. Main measures include 36.5 to 37 largest point of waist, 31 to 32 smallest point (just under lower ribs and hips of 38, chest 38.25. Goals as always for more hypertrophy and reduced body fat. I can easy use my waist and hip measures for fat assessment since I hold most of it there. Had a dexa scan done in Feb when I was at 157 and it showed 35% bf. As I understand it, dexa tends to include stuff not measurable with just a skin caliper thus equating to a higher reading, so someone that has a six-pack and measures 8% caliper, may be higher BF reading when tested via dexa. That’s what I am telling myself anyway. At any rate, don’t need a dexa scan to tell me I’m fat. Got to cut for sure.
Going by weight, gender and tape measures using a calculation (online) that I used in 2009 when I cut to 135, I currently get around 18 to 19%. I will continue to use this method as it is easy to track due to how I carry my bf. If all stays well and I lose no muscle and cut fat, I should see the 14 to 15% I saw in 09 at 135lbs but this time at about 140 to 145. Even at 140, that will show an addition of 5 lbs of lean tissue. At least then I could say that my planned bulk and subsequent screw up with my nutrition were not all in vain.
Currently doing a two day split hitting the muscles twice weekly with 6 ish sets made up of two exercises of 10 reps. Been on it two weeks now. Also do HIIT cardio comprised of running single step, tightly up 4 stories of stairs, walking back down for 5 complete sets, twice a day. Takes about 9 min for each session. Before I did 3 times whole body workouts A, B, C where each was different like 8, 10, 12 and such using different exercises for A, B, C. Each session was one movement for 3 sets. Before that I did a 5x5 strength workout 2 to 3 times a week. No real cardio during those times.
Eating in a cut mode now at about 1680 calories. 180g protein, 145g carb and 42g fat making a ratio of 43, 35, 22. I have further divided my carbs into ½ from starch, the rest from veggies and fruit. I pulled this info from Lyle McDonald RFL book. Basically it’s the maintenance part using his guide for mild cutting without going ultra-low or no carb. It includes 100g carb so one stays out of ketosis and also adds carbs and protein needed for my current lean weight plus activity level, minus 20% to create a caloric deficit.
I have also started taking supplements other that protein powder. I take NOW omega 3 fish oil liquid, Life Force multi, creatine, BCAA, NOW beta alanine, NOW L-Arginine/Orthanine. With the creatine and dextrose I mixed it with, I noticed fuller muscles. Adding the A/O and the B-A, I notice some increased endurance with my HIIT Cardio and maybe even more rep capability when lifting. Was hoping for more walking around pump using the A/O product but I don’t know for sure it does much. Just wanted to get the nitric oxide benefits without the expensive and stimulant loaded NO products. I also read that A/O gives benefits elsewhere as well so that’s always a good thing. Multi will be good since I can never hit my nutrition as good as I need to. Fish oil does whatever it does. BCAA just because others do it. Guess it can’t hurt.
Will continue this cut through first week in July and see how it’s going. Will be adding in vacation sometime in July so I will time a break to coincide with my vacation.

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
June 12 2013
Is this symptom of not enough carbs in my diet?
Been doing well on diet and exercise but last night I fell into the sugar craving. I was rather fatigued yesterday and noticed that running the stairs during the day was a tad harder on me. I felt irritable and tired last night as well and noticed that a bm was difficult. It was a rest night from lifting weights so that was good. At any rate, I gave in to the sweet craving and ate natty peanut butter laced with quite a bit of table sugar. I was sad that I did that but that was that. During my night’s sleep, as always happens when I eat the sugar and PB, I sweat a lot and my digestive system works a lot but does not make me get up. This morning getting up I feel better. Better mood, better energy, but bummed that I ate lots of table sugar the previous night.
I need to prevent myself from eating the sugar but I do believe that something is off. Is what I noticed, symptoms of not having enough carbs in my diet? I am hovering around 149 to 150 roughly 18 to 19% bf.
I have been eating in a cut mode strictly now for a week and a half at about 1680 calories. 180g protein, 145g carb and 42g fat making a ratio of 43, 35, 22. I have further divided my carbs into ½ from starch, the rest from veggies and fruit. I pulled this info from Lyle McDonald RFL book. Basically it’s the maintenance part using his guide for mild cutting without going ultra-low or no carb. It includes 100g carb so one stays out of ketosis and also adds carbs and protein needed for my current lean weight plus activity level, minus 20% to create a caloric deficit.

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
June 24 2013
Took pretty much the weekend off and ate more. Gave myself some junk as well. Work In the yard a lot cutting trees.
Waist was at 36.5 Thursday night at 148 body weight. Muscles look full, feel hard and are shaping up nicely. Still fat but I just need to keep at it.
I needed some more multi vitamins and casein protein so I ordered that fro bb com, also ordered two bottles of triazole which is an AI and subsequent test booster. Read good things about it. All natural herbal, not harsh, gives an even, easy test boost by easing aromatase, but not shutting it off, so shbg is lowered, free test comes up, estradiol goes lower so test comes up. In theory anyway. Decided to try this sort of thing to help lean out and keep what muscle I have.
The reason for this is that the last time I really cut, I went from 155 to 143, held there a few months, then went from 143 to 135 by hitting a truly clean diet with around 1400 to 1600 calories. Problem was I seemed to lose a bit of muscle with the fat so I stopped at a tape measure and sight estimate of roughly 15%.
After that cut, I maintained, then bulked, but I screwed up the clean bulk and it became a dirty bulk where I went up to 160, then cut back to 150, then went back up to 160 during the course of 3 years. I’ve lifted heavy and medium, changed programs many times, ate dirty and clean, added strength, mass, and fat.
Now I’m working back down again. This time I wish to get below 15% while keeping the muscle I have worked so hard to build up. I’m worried about my t levels. In mid-2012 I had a physical done where total t was checked. It was at 187 whereas in late 2009 the total t was 608. The 187 was viewed as a fluke so it was checked again. Still showed 180ish so doc wanted to start trt on me. I said no, let me go to an endo to be tested and go over options. So about 3 months later was tested in the afternoon by the endo and my total t was 430 ish. No explanation for this, estradiol was 15 out of a range of 0 to 39. Felt ok with that so just called it a fluke and kept chugging along. Now I feel pretty good but still want to keep free t high and estrogens low, so thought I’d try an AI. We’ll see how it goes.
Workouts have been sets of 6ish total, reps of 10, and two exercises per body part. Been working well, but I think I may have stalled after about 4 weeks. Thinking about going to reps of 8 with heavier weight. Wonder If I need to do each muscle group twice a week, three times a week, or once a week. Exercises I like are Vince Gironda wide v dips, very very close grip seated, bent over curls, Vince gironda style pull-ups for the lats and the terries major or minor I think that is supposed to really make a good v shape by hitting support muscled just around the armpit of the back, db lateral raise. I do others as well like squats, deadlift, Romanian dead lift, ez curl bar curls, incline DB bench, triceps dips and overhead pullovers and lying triceps extensions. Added abdominal crunch and bicycle crunches as well.

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Current workout has been this:

Day 1 Chest tricep delt weight X reps X sets
Vince Gironda wide V dips –BWx10x3
DB mild incline(25 to 35 degree) bench 35x10x3 2 second squeeze at top
DB Arnold overhead press, 25x10x3
DB lateral raise 12x10x3
Tricep dips BWx10x2
Lieing triceps extension\pullover 35 to 40 x 10 x2
Day 2 Back Bicep legs
Either regular squat, front squat using dumbbell
Romainian dead lift
Wide Grip Pullup assisted BW x 10 x4
Close grip underhand Vince Gironda pullup\chin assisted BW x 10 x 4 (hits terries and bicep)
EZ curl barbell bicep curl 50(plus bar) x 10 x 2
close grip (pinkys overlap) single DB seated, bent over (elbows unsupported) curl 45 x 10-12 x 2

E

earthbuddy

Nov 8, 2010
Was doing a 5x5 strength program in winter. Gained muscle strength slowly but gained. Muscles felt soft, not much growth. With a 3 set by 10 rep single exercise per muscle group method, I do gain strength and some shape but not fast and muscles stay softer. A 6 set, two exercise per muscle group, added isolation for 10 reps, muscles grow some (not fast) and are much firmer and shaped better.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Great log Earth, love all the detail and your consistency with everything.

You have some good numbers for your size, keep up the good work. Hope you have had a good week, much on for the weekend?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic