Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Eagles Football

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
I feel like my team has no chance against the Vikes on Sunday.
However, if every talking head picks the Vikes, 100%, like they picked Pittsburgh vs Birds, the Eagles will win.
I guess at that point the favored team takes the 'dog for granted.
If look past any team in this league, they will hand you your ass.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have no idea how the Eagles beat the Steeler's besides the Steeler's defense completely no-showing for the game. Eagle's weren't that good...

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Hoping my team takes a tailback early and a blocking fullback late. A big John Ritchie type.
Football is so trendy! I hate when they say "It's a passing game nowadays".
First team who goes back to the old I formation, bigass fullback, quick tailback will clean up against all of these small linebackers designed to play the pass!
Then everyone will be doing it, like it's a new idea!

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Hahahaha. Yes I'm sure bringing back the I-formation is the missing ingredient to the eagles success. John Richie was a receiving FB who would line up as a TE sometimes. A "small" linebacker is still 230 pounds and fast. You also have more than one on the field at a time. So good luck to this FB blocking the one linebacker while the other two shoot gaps and tackle your running back for a loss. The hardest thing in football is to play in space. Athletes are the reason the way the game is played has evolved.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
the last thing the Eagles need to do is reach for a RB in the 1st...hope for Mixon in the 3rd, if he drops as predicted...otherwise, you have to address the Secondary..the game moves too fast, and the less "space" you allow opposing offenses to work with, the better chance you have on capitalizing on mistakes...

hell, I think it's been over a decade since the last time we had over half the league boast a 1,000 yard runner...if you're not willing to evolve, good luck trying to keep up...

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Linebackers when John Ritchie played were like Seth Joyner, 6'4 and 260.
John Ritchie himself has said he licks his chops looking at 6' 225 lb linebackers all over the league,.
Football is cyclical and trendy; predictable!
First everyone went 4/3 D, then when a 3/4 wins they all go 3/4..
Then small, fast O line, blocking downfield..then back to big o line
The Eagles definitely need a lot of help on defense: 2 corners and an outside rusher.
That said, football will always be beating the guy who Lines up in front of you.
If you can't stop a power running game, you can't get your pass happy offense on the field, and you can't burn the clock.
We got two wideouts; our line is big.
A big fullback and a scat back complete it, and we don't have to use the first two pics on either.

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Matthew,
Most teams don't have 3 LBs on the field if you look closely.
It's 4-2-5 most of the time.

Look at the "evolution"; I call it trendiness. It's a mimic league.
Tight ends used to be o lineman that could run.
Then Kellen Winslow changed the game. Now most tight ends can't block and GMs are beginning to look more for TEs that can do both

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
For sake of debate, going back to the Birds' last Superbowl appearance...

12 Superbowls; only 4 SB Winning teams even cracked the top 10 overall in rushing, and 3 of those 4 boasted a Top 5 Scoring Defense, 2 of which were #1 overall (Sea/14 and NE/16)...most teams are willing to use a 2 TE set instead of a FB in front, simply because it gives the Offense better options when making adjustments at the line...

sure the NFL is "trendy"...but IIRC over 50% of the League's Offenses utilize an 11 Personnel Package...so of course Nickel Pkgs are being thrown out more because they literally have no choice; that is what's lined up in front of you...you also have to take into consideration the new breed of Safety/LB hybrids...or the fact teams are willing to move up 1 of their 2 starting safeties to cover the slot.

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Points well made, and well stated Yomo.
Conversely, because teams use two tight ends, or three wideouts, the linebacker/safety hybrid is common. That's precisely why I think the first team to buck the system and get a great fullback, will succeed , and the following year everyone will be drafting big backs.
These little 6'225 lb linebackers will get crushed by a John Ritchie size fullback, springing the tailback to raise havoc.
It also helps in any short yardage situation.
Nowadays, a team brings in an extra guard or even d tackle and shows their hand.
A fullback up blocking on a punt also allows a great fake by hiking the ball directly to the fullback.
Football, like fashion, goes in cycles.
Soon you'll be wearing a fullback's number on your jersey with your new bell bottoms and platform shoes, Yomo!

S

Snake

VIP Member
May 1, 2011
Football talk back on the radio...in the news...I love it!
When you are a one sport guy, like I am, there is a huge drought between the Supe and the draft; and then the draft and camp!
Once again it's over now, and soon the first pre-season games will start!
I can't wait!
Anyone want to make an early prediction on the Bird's record?
I'm saying 9-7 but I know that's a bit of hope mingling with my rational thought.
It takes a team with so many new parts time to gel, but maybe Carson Wence is special enough to speed the process????

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
All i know is Dallas and Dak take a big step backwards this year. 7-9 at best.
Oh and Giants win the east. 11-5

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
We need to bring back the weekly NFL picks here. We didnt do it last year but i came in second 2 years ago and 4th 3 years ago. This is my year. ; )

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic