Latest Member
DocOxRedox
What's New?

Dropping the A Bomb

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
You seem to be able to do a lot of weight on your pressdowns. I don't know what the pulley system setup is like, but I don't think I'd be able to do 285lb pressdowns on a single pulley system. It can't be anywhere close to 285 actual pounds because I highly doubt you can even do 285lb pulldowns, ya feel me? The real point of my post is stop doing them and do something else. They aren't working.

Actually being able to do 285lb pressdowns on a single pulley would be pretty intense. I bet there would only be a couple people on this board that could actually do that.

Last edited:
Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I agree with this... there are several machines (usually the ones that are set up to do chest cable exercises) where the system utilizes more than one pulley and the weight stack only goes up to 150 lbs or so. I can't do pushdowns using this machine because I'm still easily doing 10-12 reps without feeling the necessary resistance. The less pulleys you have involved, the more it's like a modified free weight exercise. Cables are great becasu they allow you to do exercises not possible or that would be difficult with free weights, but they also artificially inflate your ego at times :). If your gym has one, use the single pulley cable (usually a "flat" cable) for pressdowns. You will have trouble doing about 1/3 the weight as a 2 or more pulley system. Also, try and make sure that you are not "yanking" the weight down and take your shoulders out of the equation. Not that you do that, just a helpful reminder ol' bybondrol ;)

You seem to be able to do a lot of weight on your pressdowns. I don't know what the pulley system setup is like, but I don't think I'd be able to do 285lb pressdowns on a single pulley system. It can't be anywhere close to 285 actual pounds because I highly doubt you can even do 285lb pulldowns, ya feel me? The real point of my post is stop doing them and do something else. They aren't working.

Actually being able to do 285lb pressdowns on a single pulley would be pretty intense. I bet there would only be a couple people on this board that could actually do that.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011

Here's the pulley system:
Nautilus® Free Weight Cable Cross Over

71.jpg

Actually, your post does have me thinking. Right now, I only hook the v-bar handle to one cable (notice in the picture, the set-up allows two handles for the same weight stack). When I put the two cables together for ONE handle, it's ten times heavier.

I should be using both cables for that one V-bar handle; that way I don't have to use weight plates. Thanks for pointing that out to me (don't know why I didn't think about it).

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
I agree with this... there are several machines (usually the ones that are set up to do chest cable exercises) where the system utilizes more than one pulley and the weight stack only goes up to 150 lbs or so. I can't do pushdowns using this machine because I'm still easily doing 10-12 reps without feeling the necessary resistance. The less pulleys you have involved, the more it's like a modified free weight exercise. Cables are great becasu they allow you to do exercises not possible or that would be difficult with free weights, but they also artificially inflate your ego at times :). If your gym has one, use the single pulley cable (usually a "flat" cable) for pressdowns. You will have trouble doing about 1/3 the weight as a 2 or more pulley system. Also, try and make sure that you are not "yanking" the weight down and take your shoulders out of the equation. Not that you do that, just a helpful reminder ol' bybondrol ;)

Good to be reminded, though. Believe me, I don't cheat on pushdowns; the form is where it counts. All about that extension and squeeze.

I believe the whole problem is it sounded like I was bragging, when all I was doing was going by numbers. I know like hell I wasn't pushing down 285lbs; I was just going by numbers so I can chart the progress.

Also, the pulley set-up on that machine is where it's harder when both nylon cables are hooked to one grip, and I have the handle connected to only ONE cable (when I should've had the handle connected to both cables from the beginning).

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^Didn't sound like you were bragging at all, I just wanted to shed a little light on the situation for you. I don't care if you kept track of weight using "285 hamburgers," it's your log and what works for you, works for you. I just wanted to make sure you realized that wasn't actually 285lbs.

Brag all you want, that is, until you start lifting heavier than me. Then I'll be annoyed when you brag. You're skipping in my footsteps of a gixxy from yesteryear.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
^Didn't sound like you were bragging at all, I just wanted to shed a little light on the situation for you. I don't care if you kept track of weight using "285 hamburgers," it's your log and what works for you, works for you. I just wanted to make sure you realized that wasn't actually 285lbs.

Brag all you want, that is, until you start lifting heavier than me. Then I'll be annoyed when you brag. You're skipping in my footsteps of a gixxy from yesteryear.

LOL, won't have to worry about me bragging-"“Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished."- Proverbs 16:5

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
Took a whole body shot to motivate me to eat more!

FG4qy.png

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
bybon its been some time please update have you gained weight, strength and what sides if any are you having from the drol?

Also who's the skinny guy in the picture with the Tarzan underwear?

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
bybon its been some time please update have you gained weight, strength and what sides if any are you having from the drol?

Also who's the skinny guy in the picture with the Tarzan underwear?

I gained 7lbs so far. I gained a shitload of strength in every lift.

It has given me some lethargy. I have some bad headaches from it. Water retention wasn't too big of an issue, thank god.

Honestly, the strength gains are just crazy. If I did powerlifting, I'd take drol all the damn time LOL.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Pic is showing some nice work bybon. Re the 285# pressdowns, the weight listed on the crossover machine is probably if both pulleys are used together. I know many are listed that way. Therefore, the actual weight for only using one would be 142.5 in that case. Just a guess.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
Pic is showing some nice work bybon. Re the 285# pressdowns, the weight listed on the crossover machine is probably if both pulleys are used together. I know many are listed that way. Therefore, the actual weight for only using one would be 142.5 in that case. Just a guess.

Okay cool-next tricep day I'm gonna hook it up where it's harder to do; that way I don't have to use weight plates LOL. Thanks for the compliment, still a lot of work left to do though!

I'm going to bulk for about two years, and then cut and I should be where I want to be. I honestly don't want to get much bigger, so 1-2 years on a bulk and I should be at my goal size wise (and then the cutting begins NOOOOO).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic