Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Double hip replacement recovery

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I had both hips replaced about 10 yrs ago on the first. And about a yr later on the second. First one the surgeon did something to the nerve in my rt leg and I had to use an immobilizer for 6 mo. Second hip went much better and I was walking on my own day 2. My glutes have pretty much disappeared and no matter what I do they will not respond. Prob. need plastic surgery if I want my booty back. The best exercise I have found is using the ARC machine.

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
I had both hips replaced about 10 yrs ago on the first. And about a yr later on the second. First one the surgeon did something to the nerve in my rt leg and I had to use an immobilizer for 6 mo. Second hip went much better and I was walking on my own day 2. My glutes have pretty much disappeared and no matter what I do they will not respond. Prob. need plastic surgery if I want my booty back. The best exercise I have found is using the ARC machine.
Where did they go in? Both my incisions are right up front. I have read and heard that is the best way to go about it. The rear incisions take a lot more time to heal and the time suggested on a walker is 4 weeks. Then graduate to a cane. Mine was "No restrictions bear as much weight as tolerable." And nothing past 90 degrees.

Holidays are over. Time for a New Year’s resolution!
You're correct. Time to get right with it.

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
Follow up was good news.

All X-rays show normal. Everything is as it should be. He said my first one was the fastest he ever seen anyone heal and come off pain meds. He said it is normal for people to be on the pain meds 3 to 4 weeks out. First round I was off them in 4 days.

My wife is a nurse and told me to not just deal with the pain as it helps the healing when the pain is controlled. It's more than just taking away pain. It's allowing things to settle and heal because it's not tense of contracting due to my being in pain. It can relax and heal.

So he called in more pain meds and I started back on them yesterday. I feel a ton better.

I have a certain amount of disdain for pain meds. My son progressed into a heroin addict, and I see some family members that are pill heads. They know better than to ask me for any. I will flush them down the toilet before I would share them or sell what I didn't use.

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
Your wife makes alot of sense... I was so worried about the oxy after the knee replacement that i think I under did them and over extended the PT.

The brain is the hardest thing to manage in these situations I think. you want to get back to normalcy so bad that you convince yourself that doing more is the better way. Listen to the wifey and ease up just a little brother. Give yourself time to be less than super human... the cape will still fit after all...

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
Your wife makes alot of sense... I was so worried about the oxy after the knee replacement that i think I under did them and over extended the PT.

The brain is the hardest thing to manage in these situations I think. you want to get back to normalcy so bad that you convince yourself that doing more is the better way. Listen to the wifey and ease up just a little brother. Give yourself time to be less than super human... the cape will still fit after all...
You know how I am. I push. But I believe you’re right. I need to sit back and let it heal and it will heal faster.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
A bit off-topic, or maybe not .....

Wife has had both KNEE replacements, and everything has been good for years. Those require titanium spare parts. She was advised from the getgo to take an antibiotic before ANY* other medical procedure later on ... to ward off minor infections that might cause tissue rejection from the replacement surgery.

* this includes something as minor as having teeth cleaned.

Is it the same for hip replacements?

This seems to be common knowledge enough that my Wife's dentist prescribes the antibiotic nowadays with no argument, but I'm not sure about knees vs. hips.

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
A bit off-topic, or maybe not .....

Wife has had both KNEE replacements, and everything has been good for years. Those require titanium spare parts. She was advised from the getgo to take an antibiotic before ANY* other medical procedure later on ... to ward off minor infections that might cause tissue rejection from the replacement surgery.

* this includes something as minor as having teeth cleaned.

Is it the same for hip replacements?

This seems to be common knowledge enough that my Wife's dentist prescribes the antibiotic nowadays with no argument, but I'm not sure about knees vs. hips.
Yes. It is the same. I guess where our metal / bone connection is vulnerable to infection regardless of where the work is being done. What’s odd. Just thought of this. They did not prescribe antibiotics for the second surgery. But I do know I got a shot of some heavy duty antibiotics for the first one.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Yes. It is the same. I guess where our metal / bone connection is vulnerable to infection regardless of where the work is being done. What’s odd. Just thought of this. They did not prescribe antibiotics for the second surgery. But I do know I got a shot of some heavy duty antibiotics for the first one.
Hmmm. Don't know enough for an intelligent comment, but ask b4 you ever have anything else done.

For my Wife, it is always a one-off ... one antibiotic pill, one time, b4 any other procedure, no matter how minor. Her scripts have always been for that "one-off."

(not like the body is expected to store up resistance from a course of anti's, however strong, or however long)

She had the script from the Knee guy at first, but more recently she has had 2 different DENTISTS who seemed familiar with the need.

And, again, you and she have had 2 different surgeries .....

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
Hmmm. Don't know enough for an intelligent comment, but ask b4 you ever have anything else done.

For my Wife, it is always a one-off ... one antibiotic pill, one time, b4 any other procedure, no matter how minor. Her scripts have always been for that "one-off."

(not like the body is expected to store up resistance from a course of anti's, however strong, or however long)

She had the script from the Knee guy at first, but more recently she has had 2 different DENTISTS who seemed familiar with the need.

And, again, you and she have had 2 different surgeries .....
Location being the only difference. We are alike in the fact we have artificial joints.

This just made me remember when I had my defibrillator swapped out and it got infected. They were in a panic, and I spent a week in the ICU. The infection can attach itself to an object and the meds will have no effect. So they were blasting me with the strongest antibiotics there was. That was like closing the barn doors after the horses were out. they were keeping the infection at bay. Until it died off not being able to survive on the wires. I believe this is a prophylactic way to cut out the ability of an infection reaching our devices because once there. It is all hell to pay to get rid of it. If that makes sense.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Location being the only difference. We are alike in the fact we have artificial joints.

This just made me remember when I had my defibrillator swapped out and it got infected. They were in a panic, and I spent a week in the ICU. The infection can attach itself to an object and the meds will have no effect. So they were blasting me with the strongest antibiotics there was. That was like closing the barn doors after the horses were out. they were keeping the infection at bay. Until it died off not being able to survive on the wires. I believe this is a prophylactic way to cut out the ability of an infection reaching our devices because once there. It is all hell to pay to get rid of it. If that makes sense.
sometimes, patients' experiences make more sense than whatever else is out there in "The Literature."

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
sometimes, patients' experiences make more sense than whatever else is out there in "The Literature."
This is true.

Getting better every day now. Really took it easy for 2 weeks. I'll venture into the garage tomorrow to finish up the work on the wifes trike, Get hers off the lift and get my Roadglide on it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic