Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Dorian Yates in 93'

Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
In psychology, there is a term that reminds my of Shawn Ray. Shawn Ray was one of those individuals who had a groupie following whenever he trained. Others constantly telling him how great he looked and the fact he has an overblown view of himself, to begin with. The term Dunning–Kruger effect is used for those who honestly think they are greater than what is the reality. When Shawn loses he is just devastated. The look on his face is priceless...kills me ever time...LOL

Last edited:
P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Shawn Ray is pretty damn good but I tend to agree that he has high expectations which he should.

I'm more impressed with him posing in the gym than on stage in this vid. He has the great thickness we all desire but I can't ever get like that at 6'2". He's 5'5" so has really good proportions.

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
During his prime Yates was the most impressive BB I've ever seen in person... and I've damn near seen them all since the mid 90's. His traps/upper back looked like they popped out and extended 3 to 4 inches from the rest of his back... absolutely incredible.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
In psychology, there is a term that reminds my of Shawn Ray. Shawn Ray was one of those individuals who had a groupie following whenever he trained. Others constantly telling him how great he looked and the fact he has an overblown view of himself, to begin with. The term Dunning–Kruger effect is used for those who honestly think they are greater than what is the reality. When Shawn loses he is just devastated. The look on his face is priceless...kills me ever time...LOL

I guess I'll open this can of proverbial worms...I assume everyone on here lifts for the looks/power...Now me personally it's a little more involved...Please allow me to explain...

I began lifting at the age of 13 for two reasons....One, I was totally floored when I saw a pic of "Arnold" in his hay day....Two, I was totally skin and bones (my Dad use to call me "bones" as a nick name), so u can imagine the motivation behind my lifting aspirations....Now, I had no problem eating, however, had/have a pretty high metabolic rate...So, I begin to lift weights for weight gain...I was introduced to a young lady who was the wife of a friend of my Dad...She was a competitor (not sure of type, just know she was an absolute knockout of a woman and strong as a mofo), anyway, she agreed to train and introduce me to the world of weightlifting....She basically taught me power lifting technique which was fine by me as long as I gained weight....So, fast forward 4 years...I weighed right at 190/200 depending on how much I ate and if I had crapped my guts out for the day!....O and I was 5'8" tall, not wide....Now I had pretty good power and muscularity (kinda lean but not even having a clue as to how or what to do for it) I just looked liked a lean football player...

Question?...Is it possible for folks to just like muscle mass/leanness without being accused of being vain/narcissistic?...Please discuss reasonably....

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Not liking how you look and lifting to correct that is not vain or narcissistic. I tend to think I see myself completely different than others. I am only as good as my weak or lagging parts. I don't know which is healthier, a narcissistic view of one self or the pessimistic view. lol.

Reactions: SQM
S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
As far as I'm concerned most people who lift do so for positive effects. Whether its to be more confident, secure, or for health reasons, etc etc, something good is coming from it. The only negative input I ever hear is from couch potatoes who are so insecure with who they are have to tear others down to feel OK about themselves but what they don't realize is that it actually makes them feel worse.

Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
Shawn Ray...I guess the mascara/ eye liner didnt help? Just askin...
To this day, Ray is still bitchin about his placings.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic