Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Don't Bounce Your Deadlifts

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
You might walk in hearing bang after bang coming from the darkest corner in the gym. As you approach the platform, you notice they are bouncing every deadlift rep off the floor and zooming up, hitting rep after rep, sweat and spit flying from their face. High-fives commence and the next lifter would follow suit.

I used to be that guy. I was taking advantage of the rubberized flooring, the bumper plates, the extra few inches I didn't have to lift... Just to feed my ego by adding significant weight to my rep PRs.

Much like paused bench press reps, implementing a "deadstop" deadlifting protocol on speed and heavy work definitely shaved some reps off my previous PRs. But unlike my bench press max, my deadlift max began to sore.

Initiated after reading and reading on how to skyrocket my deadlift, as well as receiving advice from guys here, my friends and I began using deadstop reps on speed days, as well as heavy days, with great results.

Below are words from one of the greatest deadlifters ever. He explains the reason behind resetting yourself before every pull and how important it is to maintain the same form on every rep.

An excerpt from World Record Holder Andy Bolton's "Explode Your Deadlifts" e-book:

"Make sure that before you pull your next rep you assume the same set-up position as you did on your previous rep. There is a bad tendency for the bar to drift a little further forward on every rep.

On rep 1 you set-up correctly, shins nearly touching the bar. By rep 3 the bar is 4 inches from the shins. This is a disaster on a number of levels.

For starters, these reps that are not performed with your “first rep” set-up will not carry over as well to your max because in effect they are not the same lift.

Secondly, the further the bar gets from your shins, the more stress you put on your lower back. When you pick up a box off the floor do you stand close to it or a long way away? The Deadlift is no different... keep the bar close at all times and on every rep.

This issue of the bar getting further and further away from your shins on every rep is particularly common on speed work. I think this is because a lot of lifters think that speed work has to be rushed.

In reality, you must lift the bar up as explosively as possible and then make sure you set-up correctly before pulling the next rep. The law of Compensatory Acceleration is only applied to the concentric phase of the lift and not the eccentric phase of the Deadlift.

Compensatory Acceleration means that you always aim to lift the bar as quickly as possible. This must be applied to speed weights and max weights alike. Obviously, speed weights (around 50 to 65%) will move very quickly and max weights won’t. But it’s the intent that counts. And the intent must be there with max weights. Nobody ever lifted a max intentionally slowly. It’s impossible.

Leave the slow lifting to bodybuilders; yes, it can make you big. But, it won’t do anything for your athleticism, speed or limit strength.

When lifting and applying compensatory acceleration, wait until you have around 35 to 40% of your max on the bar. With weights lighter than this you risk injury by hyper-extending your joints at lockout if you move the bar too quickly.

A simple way to make sure that you start each pull from the correct set-up position is to stand up and re-set yourself in between reps. I don’t like this method myself, but it works. I have worked hard on this so I can simply lower the bar quickly, pause and go again; safe in the knowledge that the bar is in the same starting position on every rep.

Beginners (or less natural Deadlifters) may want to stand up and totally re-set themselves between reps..."

You can purchase this book directly from Andy Bolton here:

Explode Your Deadlift... Get your strongest pull ever, in as little as 30 days

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yuppers..... Great Thread GA.

You should not bounce your pulls. Leave the ego's to the crossfitters.

And Set up and pull with the intent to blast that bar to the ceiling. I've said it a million times... pull 135 with the same power/force you pull 531 and beyond.

Last edited:
RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Good read, as I'm DLing more now, this is good info.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Great post Go Away!!

I don't have a deadlift right now but I will soon.

This helped me!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I actually step away from the bar and reset my feet and everything with each rep. Except for speed pulls.

But if I'm doing a heavy triple, it's really 3 rapid fire singles...

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Bouncing is gay but touch and go is fine.

If you have good form the bar will not get away from you but actually stay tighter against your body with the bar sliding up and down your legs the whole time.

I will pause at the top to regroup and get belt set when needed I will also pause on the floor at times to stay in control staying tight the whole time.

If you suck at deadlifting then the bar will drift away but if your form is good and you stay tight the whole time the bar is always be against your body.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Bouncing is gay but touch and go is fine.

If you have good form the bar will not get away from you but actually stay tighter against your body with the bar sliding up and down your legs the whole time.

I will pause at the top to regroup and get belt set when needed I will also pause on the floor at times to stay in control staying tight the whole time.

If you suck at deadlifting then the bar will drift away but if your form is good and you stay tight the whole time the bar is always be against your body.

If you're training BACK, then ok. But not if you're training for deadlift strength. Even a touch and go, no matter how controlled, is not training the body to perform the movement as you normally would. Every deadlift in every comp is started from the floor at a complete stop. Not having to recruit that tightness and explosiveness from a deadstop with no weight in your hands, is absolutely taking away from your ability to do so when needed. It's the only lift that doesn't have a eccentric movement before the concentric movement, and therefore the concentric movement should be trained as the whole movement, because it is.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Lol did you watch my dl vid then post this !!!
1, 2, 3, 4...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429559764.313935.jpg

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
If you're training BACK, then ok. But not if you're training for deadlift strength. Even a touch and go, no matter how controlled, is not training the body to perform the movement as you normally would. Every deadlift in every comp is started from the floor at a complete stop. Not having to recruit that tightness and explosiveness from a deadstop with no weight in your hands, is absolutely taking away from your ability to do so when needed. It's the only lift that doesn't have a eccentric movement before the concentric movement, and therefore the concentric movement should be trained as the whole movement, because it is.

I'm going to have to disagree brother because this would be like saying any posterior chain movement isn't good for deadlift strength because your not breaking the ground. So then GM's, GHR's and deadlift variations wouldn't count if this was the case.

As long as technique is correct your hitting the muscles needed, if it's off the floor strenght I need to focus on then deficits are great along with pauses.

It's a prefereence IMO as some of the best lifters do the same, it's the bounce that takes away from building strength.

GM's and GHR's help my deadlift along with Romanians, Stiff Legged Deficits.

I follow Westside and believe the strength is being built with accessories while the ME is for CNS building and strength testing.

Deadlift strength is bulid many ways other then pulling off the ground.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic