Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Does Fasting Build Muscle?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
DW is dead on here... Its an interesting article and I like the science and all, but empirical data can't be ignored. We all know from doing - that getting big means eating big. Thats basic!

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I think I could go about some further debunking some of the information presented in that write up.

Here is the original article

Men's Health: The Pros and Cons of Fasting

You can see that the article doesn't really link any of the studies. The reason why it won't do this is probably because studies that are going to check the hormone levels of people during fasting would also see drops of both insulin and testosterone along with various other hormones the longer a fast goes on. The article really does not address the above average or high level athlete with lower percentages of body fat.

If you only look at the information they present, then they can be right. If you factor in all human biology, they are wrong. With three days without training, you won't get extreme muscle loss because you have some liver glycogen stores to supply the brain with glucose. After those stores are gone, which could be just as soon as a short cardio session, your brain will require glucose, if you are not eating it will break down muscle.

A 24 hour fast with nothing that supplies calories is stupid. Plain and simple, what happens to the essential fats, micronutrients, minerals and amino acids that the body requires to run properly? If a person who trains 4 days a week was going to fast, what happens to muscle building then? It takes 48 hours sometimes to completely repair muscle tissue back.

There are some situations which fasting is a good idea.

If you are too overweight and want to stream line how quickly you get to a healthy weight goal.
If you are a competitive athlete and your weight cut has gone wrong or the date has been pushed up and you need to get to weight a few weeks quicker.

Fasting without protein and other essential nutrient supplementation is just a bad idea. It doesn't help to build any muscle.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think I could go about some further debunking some of the information presented in that write up.

Here is the original article

Men's Health: The Pros and Cons of Fasting

You can see that the article doesn't really link any of the studies. The reason why it won't do this is probably because studies that are going to check the hormone levels of people during fasting would also see drops of both insulin and testosterone along with various other hormones the longer a fast goes on. The article really does not address the above average or high level athlete with lower percentages of body fat.

If you only look at the information they present, then they can be right. If you factor in all human biology, they are wrong. With three days without training, you won't get extreme muscle loss because you have some liver glycogen stores to supply the brain with glucose. After those stores are gone, which could be just as soon as a short cardio session, your brain will require glucose, if you are not eating it will break down muscle.

A 24 hour fast with nothing that supplies calories is stupid. Plain and simple, what happens to the essential fats, micronutrients, minerals and amino acids that the body requires to run properly? If a person who trains 4 days a week was going to fast, what happens to muscle building then? It takes 48 hours sometimes to completely repair muscle tissue back.

There are some situations which fasting is a good idea.

If you are too overweight and want to stream line how quickly you get to a healthy weight goal.
If you are a competitive athlete and your weight cut has gone wrong or the date has been pushed up and you need to get to weight a few weeks quicker.

Fasting without protein and other essential nutrient supplementation is just a bad idea. It doesn't help to build any muscle.

F*cking AWESOME RETORT!

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Wont catch me fasting unless I run outta money, Im eating damnit!
Interesting article, just I live to eat.

me and u both my friend...eatting is very important to me...good foods...check this out bro...yesterday i made 10 stuffed bell peppers with shrimp,crabmeat mixed with groundmeat and dirty rice ...plus i added a red gravy..i stuff the shit out these peppers....Man i kid u not..i ate 4 of them....and tonight i have left overs....im going to pig down again..Its allways better the next day...the best dam bell peppers u would ever encounter....now thats eatting my friend....plus i made some killer ass bread pudding with rum iceing on top...Stuffed like a fat man bro....dw

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
So damned true...hard work in all area will get net results...quick fixes are the big thing, but they are a losing proposition...look at the hardware the tough blue color guys are toting that shit comes from brutal workouts, consistency w diet and approach, its a 2-4-7 3-6-5 endeavor, if you aint down with that, then you aint down with results on a consistent basis.

u said it all aj..hard work my friend is the only way for progress....If anyone puts in the hard work it will pay off...dw

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
interesting. there seems to be a big trend in intermittent fasting in the bodybuilding community right now. i have fasted before for personal reasons and it leaves me feeling tired and wore out. i dang sure wouldnt do it twice a week for health reasons!!!

well i can tell you your one hot number...whatever your doing its working its ass off....dw

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Not gonna catch me fasting lol. I need to eat!

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
DW send me some info on how u cook ur bells--that shit sounds good as hell

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Consistent and constant eating, training drinking water ang getting sleep for the win.

Crazy ass shit they come up with to fill space in a magazine...

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
DW send me some info on how u cook ur bells--that shit sounds good as hell

sure bro....
to make 6 nice stuffed bell peppers u need
1 pound of lean gound beef
1/2 pound of shrimp
2 cans of crab meat
choped up season
hunts tomotto gravy
first gut out the bell pepper
boil bell peppers untill they are soft...they will turn a light green....
boil shrimp
wile cooking the gound beef add the choped seasons and shrimp and crab meat....
after u cook that down u will add the MAIN ingredient is ZATARAINS DIRTY RICE MIX...Now i dont know if they sell this iteam around were u live...Zatarians is a new orleans company....if not i would be willing to ship u a few boxes to have..
you mix the zatarains with everything u cooked....u will add 2 and 1/2 cups of water...cook to it boils and then set the fire down to simmer....u will need a good size pot to cook this in or a big size frying pan.....let cook for about 25 mins....stirring occasionally...then your ready to stuff the bell peppers...wile stuffing the bell peppers...u need a big can Hunts red gravy......add a bit of sugar to cut the raw taste of the red gravy....once cooked down...u will pour the red gravy over the bell peppers....cover up the tray with the bell peppers with tin foil.... set your over at 350....let bake for 45 mins....then your done...pig out and enjoy getting fat........dw

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Does your car run better when you dont fill it up with gas?

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
sure bro....
to make 6 nice stuffed bell peppers u need
1 pound of lean gound beef
1/2 pound of shrimp
2 cans of crab meat
choped up season
hunts tomotto gravy
first gut out the bell pepper
boil bell peppers untill they are soft...they will turn a light green....
boil shrimp
wile cooking the gound beef add the choped seasons and shrimp and crab meat....
after u cook that down u will add the MAIN ingredient is ZATARAINS DIRTY RICE MIX...Now i dont know if they sell this iteam around were u live...Zatarians is a new orleans company....if not i would be willing to ship u a few boxes to have..
you mix the zatarains with everything u cooked....u will add 2 and 1/2 cups of water...cook to it boils and then set the fire down to simmer....u will need a good size pot to cook this in or a big size frying pan.....let cook for about 25 mins....stirring occasionally...then your ready to stuff the bell peppers...wile stuffing the bell peppers...u need a big can Hunts red gravy......add a bit of sugar to cut the raw taste of the red gravy....once cooked down...u will pour the red gravy over the bell peppers....cover up the tray with the bell peppers with tin foil.... set your over at 350....let bake for 45 mins....then your done...pig out and enjoy getting fat........dw

thanks DW... that looks like an awesome recipe..

I bet if you covered them with some mozzarella cheese as a finishing touch they would be even better...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic