Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Doctors advice

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
Doctors are people but I think a lot of them will overstep their specialty and spout off a lot of BS. If I go to the doctor right now they're going to say that I'm 20 lbs overweight and that is going to come from a doctor that's truly 50-plus pounds overweight. I'm below 8% body fat so how can I be 20 lb overweight they're still using the old BMI to determine healthy weight on people which is archaic.

Both my wife and I are on hormone replacement and we'll have been for many years until we figured out what was going on with her she spoke to lots of doctors and they all give her wonderful advice such as one told her if she would just set it aside one day a week to have sex with her husband that she would not have any more issues. What kind of stupid advice is that??? When your hormones are off the last thing a woman wants to do is going to have sex and feel like she's doing it because she has to how is that going to fix anything? Some doctors talk out of their asses and the sad part is so many people think that they know it all and they don't question.

Doctors are very educated in textbook health and overtime they do learn real life situations but not every two situations are the same and if you look at what they call what's your doctor does it's called practicing medicine so they are guessing that's the best results that they can come up with to give you some sort of result in the shortest amount of time. That's what we all want so if you say I want to lose weight and your doctor says oh you need to eat less food sure more than likely you're going to lose weight but you're not fixing a problem if it happens to be a metabolic issue or whatever. Complete blood work is important and a nice to be read by someone that is truly knowledgeable more than just looking at or everything's in the normal range because on thyroid t3 and t4 from things I've seen over the years are completely misdiagnosed because as long as they're both in the normal range most doctors will tell you there isn't an issue and that is incorrect. There are certain levels both t3 and t4 should be at and not just a normal range they need to be in the same range. Doctors over-prescribe and under prescribe way too much to "fix us" and for people like us on the board we know our bodies much better than them and we question. But most of the population is going to do exactly what the doctor tells them even if it's the worst advice ever. l tell people to always do your own research after you speak to your doctor and make sure you feel it's the right thing for you.

20 pounds overweight?

Rookie.

I’m certified morbidly obese!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Don't get old, all problems solved.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
My doctor insists my ideal weight in 197. I am currently 218. I'd look like a practicing meth addict at 207. 197 I'd look dead. So okay, I am 20lbs over weight according to a guy looking at me sitting on the exam table.

Doctors can be amazing, when you have a broken arm they can also be amazing with their diagnosis "you have a broken arm".

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
one told her if she would just set it aside one day a week to have sex with her husband that she would not have any more issues.

While doctors are absolutely clueless about the thyroid and hormonal balancing (even endocrinologists don't keep up with the research) and that doctor grossly under-treated her -- that being established -- having sex once or twice a week is usually therapeutic for women with hormonal issues who suffer from migraines (the majority of migraine sufferers are female). The endorphins released at climax act like opioids in our brains, and provide rapid pain relief that is even faster than IV morphine. Coupled with the serotonin release, climaxing a couple times a week is a non-pharmaceutical migraine preventative. (sexual orgasm=endorphin production=pain relief/analgesia)

So the old excuse "Not now, Honey, I've got a headache" perhaps needs to be discarded.

But yeah, you're not going to fix anything by just eating lettuce and cucumbers if you don't get to the root of the metabolic issues. Functional medicine practitioners seem to think more out of the box and be more knowledgeable about the thyroid. Lab work is essential, and then someone with the brains to evaluate the numbers correctly...very difficult to find one.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
One more example.

....The Dr. has referred her to a Hematologist. WTF, a Hematologist for a thyroid issue. Is there any reason this quack would not send her to an Endocrinologist right off the bat?

Regarding the number; to me, high is no good and she's already symptomatic for hypothyroid. Anyone been down this road?

What the hey?! Two excellent Physician-Authors on the thyroid subject: Izabella Wentz and Amy Myers (see Amazon/books) ((should be required reading for med students IMO))

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
20 pounds overweight?

Rookie.

I’m certified morbidly obese!
LoL no kidding oh, I think I'm in that range now my BMI says I should be 153 and I hover normally around 183 to 186. I'm a pretty big fat fatty

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
LoL no kidding oh, I think I'm in that range now my BMI says I should be 153 and I hover normally around 183 to 186. I'm a pretty big fat fatty
2 years ago I went into my insurance agents office. This guy had been dealing with my Grandparents, parents and myself for many years. I was considering an additional life policy. He asked some basic questions, then my body weight/height and grabbed a book. I said you better not be checking my BMI!

Sure enough, he said my BMI puts me at a higher risk. A laughed and got a family pic at the beach off my phone and said, that fat 50 y.o. guy can also hold a 9 min mile pace for 3 miles. Didn't matter, still wanted to charge me more. He ended up with nothing. What a joke.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Tuffoldman said:

Doctors are people but I think a lot of them will overstep their specialty and spout off a lot of BS. If I go to the doctor right now they're going to say that I'm 20 lbs overweight and that is going to come from a doctor that's truly 50-plus pounds overweight. I'm below 8% body fat so how can I be 20 lb overweight they're still using the old BMI to determine healthy weight on people which is archaic.
Agree!...I am having reservations tho about weight being a factor in overall heart health...Even if the weight is "quality" (such as in your case being below 8%bf),which is phenomenal in my opinion, bro!),I still am trying to figure out if high body wieght is heart healthy?....I did some research on the heart years and years ago and read an article put out by an retired heart surgeon who was supposely renowned thru out the world in his field...He was saying that genetically our hearts will only beat so many beats in an lifetime...In other words to cut this short, he was saying that our hearts are programmed for only so many beats then it will stop regardless of age, diet, how well we took care o it, etc...Now he did say we could shorten this genetic predisposition by diet, smoking, etc...Still tho, he said no matter what, our hearts will only beat for so many beats determined by our genetics...

Now I don't know how accurate this info is, but if he is correct then I would assume how much we weigh won't matter...What's your thoughts, bro!...I have seen just as many people with heart problems that weigh 130lbs as people who weigh 430lbs...I personally feel that as long as u keep the "pipes" clean and free of clogging, u will be fine!....
Both my wife and I are on hormone replacement and we'll have been for many years until we figured out what was going on with her she spoke to lots of doctors and they all give her wonderful advice such as one told her if she would just set it aside one day a week to have sex with her husband that she would not have any more issues. What kind of stupid advice is that??? When your hormones are off the last thing a woman wants to do is going to have sex and feel like she's doing it because she has to how is that going to fix anything? Some doctors talk out of their asses and the sad part is so many people think that they know it all and they don't question.
He may have been thinking about the endorphins that are released with the climatic peak and end of sex...The body's response to this event can sometimes be better than the best drugs on the planet...Just a guess...I agree that it wouldn't help an imbalance of hormones tho...
Doctors are very educated in textbook health and overtime they do learn real life situations but not every two situations are the same and if you look at what they call what's your doctor does it's called practicing medicine so they are guessing that's the best results that they can come up with to give you some sort of result in the shortest amount of time. That's what we all want so if you say I want to lose weight and your doctor says oh you need to eat less food sure more than likely you're going to lose weight but you're not fixing a problem if it happens to be a metabolic issue or whatever. Complete blood work is important and a nice to be read by someone that is truly knowledgeable more than just looking at or everything's in the normal range because on thyroid t3 and t4 from things I've seen over the years are completely misdiagnosed because as long as they're both in the normal range most doctors will tell you there isn't an issue and that is incorrect. There are certain levels both t3 and t4 should be at and not just a normal range they need to be in the same range. Doctors over-prescribe and under prescribe way too much to "fix us" and for people like us on the board we know our bodies much better than them and we question. But most of the population is going to do exactly what the doctor tells them even if it's the worst advice ever. l tell people to always do your own research after you speak to your doctor and make sure you feel it's the right thing for you.
20 pounds overweight?
No doubt!....I have made this same argument for years!...When I was younger, I would litterly "set" my dotor up with questions that I had already extensively researched...Amost every time they would give some line of bs that I knew was not accurate...It caused me not to trust doctors early on...I don't do that anymore! (as i aged I felt that it was a litte childish to do so)...I now just try to ask questions and then if I have researches or need to research will be straight forward and try to discuss it with them...My intent is to help them help me!...Usally I get on a pretty good repor with them...Problem is, I just don't go like I should!...

Last edited:
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
While doctors are absolutely clueless about the thyroid and hormonal balancing (even endocrinologists don't keep up with the research) and that doctor grossly under-treated her -- that being established -- having sex once or twice a week is usually therapeutic for women with hormonal issues who suffer from migraines (the majority of migraine sufferers are female). The endorphins released at climax act like opioids in our brains, and provide rapid pain relief that is even faster than IV morphine. Coupled with the serotonin release, climaxing a couple times a week is a non-pharmaceutical migraine preventative. (sexual orgasm=endorphin production=pain relief/analgesia)

So the old excuse "Not now, Honey, I've got a headache" perhaps needs to be discarded.

But yeah, you're not going to fix anything by just eating lettuce and cucumbers if you don't get to the root of the metabolic issues. Functional medicine practitioners seem to think more out of the box and be more knowledgeable about the thyroid. Lab work is essential, and then someone with the brains to evaluate the numbers correctly...very difficult to find one.

Pearl, are u referring to oxytocin?...

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Pearl, are u referring to oxytocin?...

Yeah, oxytocin increases 42% in women, 73% in men. BTW, crying for long periods of time can also release oxytocin...so let it all out, have a 'good cry'!

Foods for Oxytocin naturally: Figs, Avocados, Watermelon, Spinach and my fav Green Tea

Last edited:
Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

I refuse to get on the scales if I ever go to a doctor. I just don't want to hear their shit. The last time I did I had to hear a lecture from a physician's assistant about how I really need to drop a lot of weight. I am 6'2" and weight about 265 now, I was about 300. My body fat has always naturally been well below 10%. But my BMI shows I am obese. RIDICULOUS! At 64 years old I don't need a lecture from some self-righteous doctor who goes by BMI and insurance weight charts. Want to know if I am healthy, check my metabolic profile and body fat levels then congratulate me for being in such great shape for my age.

I did have a great PC for years before Obamacare took him from me. When I was competing and weighting in at around 300lbs, he said you just keep doing what you are doing and I will keep you healthy. He had never met anyone who squatted 950 and deadlifted 800.

Yes Pearl, I challenged my old PC all the time. He told me that is why he liked me and respected me. He always said he wished all of his patients would inform themselves on their own health.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I refuse to get on the scales if I ever go to a doctor. I just don't want to hear their shit. The last time I did I had to hear a lecture from a physician's assistant about how I really need to drop a lot of weight. I am 6'2" and weight about 265 now, I was about 300. My body fat has always naturally been well below 10%. But my BMI shows I am obese. RIDICULOUS! At 64 years old I don't need a lecture from some self-righteous doctor who goes by BMI and insurance weight charts. Want to know if I am healthy, check my metabolic profile and body fat levels then congratulate me for being in such great shape for my age.

I did have a great PC for years before Obamacare took him from me. When I was competing and weighting in at around 300lbs, he said you just keep doing what you are doing and I will keep you healthy. He had never met anyone who squatted 950 and deadlifted 800.

Yes Pearl, I challenged my old PC all the time. He told me that is why he liked me and respected me. He always said he wished all of his patients would inform themselves on their own health.

Enjoyed that post!....Awesome numbers, Tex!!!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic