Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Do you warm-up?

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
All the new research on the subject has proven that one must stretch post their workout because that's when it's most effective and safe. When it's done pre-workout, The muscles relax, lose strength and endurance and it's actually easier to get injured.
I like to warm up my entire body (especially my shoulders) with very light weights. If I am training chest for example, i will warm up thoroughly my delts, then my back and will finally begin my chest workout with very light weights and very high reps.

Paper vs muscle.....you quote a labcoat's theory and I quote one of bodybuilding's all-time greats. I'll continue to stretch my legs as I warm up :)

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
All current research points towards "active stretching" opposed to "static stretching" as a better alternative... Studies have shown that simply stretching the muscles without getting them warm does nothing to prevent injury and doesnt allow you to be as strong once you hit the weights...

I dont necessarily get on a treadmill, but almost half my sets under the weight for my first exercise are warmups...

I should have clarified....I believe this^^ was the type of stretch employed by Platz.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I NEVER lift a weight without hoppin on the elliptical or bike for 10-15 min and then stretching. If you don't want to stretch the muscles you will be working you need to stretch 2 very important areas. The back and core are involved in almost every exercise whether you realize it or not. Any of you that have had back problems or an abdominal strain/hernia know exactly what I'm talking about. You think that when you are pushing big weight on the flat bench that your pecs, delts, and tris are the only thing taking a beating? Guess again.

For awhile now I've been an advocate of stretching my whole body pre and post workout. Although preworkout stretches after a warmup are very important, I still think post workout stretches are the most neglected. In fact, I like to "mirror" my workout if you will. I'll do 10-15 on the elliptical, stretch for 5-10, then hit the weights. When I'm done I'll stretch down and then hit the elliptical or the bike again to help maximize bloodflow post workout. Keep in mind that these are short times, if I was hitting the bike or elliptical for an hour after hitting the weights I would imagine this to be catabolic and counter-productive. The method I use has worked very well for me, but everyone is different. Everyone has their proven method, but as we age we need to focus a lot more on injury prevention and allowing the muscles adequate recovery time.

B

BIGBX1

Sep 13, 2010
I always like a 5-7 min warm-up prior to touching a weight,I like the elliptical to get my body temp up prior to touching a weight.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I warm up on my first excersize only, eg. doing chest / tris I do a warm up with small Dbells for around 25 or 30 reps. After I've finished doing propper Dbell press this has warmed up my tris as well so no need to warm them up just straight to weighted dips.

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
I do 15 min of stationary bike to get the blood flowing into the muscles before I start lifting.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
WOW, tons of different views in here. I myself warm up for 10 mins to 15 mins on the ellitptical, then I jump into the weights. The warming up on the elliptical makes my muscles more efficient for lifting, and allows me to train harder than without a warm up. I stretch after I'm done with everything. Also when the muslces are warmed up from the elliptical, you reduce your chances of injury.

Modern science always debates this topic, however its best to do your own physical research to see what works best for you.

P

perico13

Oct 11, 2010
I always warm up! To me it's a must it just depends on what muscle group I'm working that day. For example if I'm working chest I'll do a warm up set before my working set, usually low weight high reps if I'm hitting legs I'll hit up five mins on the stationary bike at a high setting, then 2'or 3'warm up sets before my working sets. I always stretch post wo too!

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I usually spend about 10-15 minutes warming up the joints. Also do warmup sets (ie 135 bench) to start each exercise.

P

Phoenix

Nov 14, 2010
To the extent it matters to anyone... I usually spend about ten minutes on the treadmill before lifting and then do one warm up set of each lift I'm doing.

I wonder if some bbers don't warm up before lifting because they hate cardio and everything that goes with it? I know I do. I force myself though, because I was told that was the "right" thing to do and now I can't get it out of my head. :)

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I do one set of light reps before i squat.

Now my shoulders/upper back i do a few things with resistance bands and then a light rep set of pressing.

acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
I don't do a "warm-up" on a tread or ellip...I do light weight warm-up sets. However, at the one gym I go to, the locker room is downstairs, so I get my heart pumping by sprinting up the stairs to the gym :) For my other gym, I'll run from my car to the doors as fast as I can...that gets my heart pumpin'. A also do stretch somewhat. a little before, a little during, and a little after my w/o. We all have different methods, and I don't believe that 1 thing is best for everyone. I'm VERY happy with my results to date, so what I'm doing is obviously working for me :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic