Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Do you warm-up?

bigrobbie

bigrobbie

TID OG Member
Sep 19, 2010
The first 15 min you are in the gym do you take the time to hop on the treadmill or the ellypical or do you head strait to the iron and risk a muscle tear?

I would hope you wouldn't risk a life long injury by hitting your sets cold!!

I want to make something clear...DO NOT stretch! Never stretch cold muscle! You want to do some low to moderate cardio or some polymetrics for 10 to 15 minutes prior to starting your workout.

I know this is pretty basic knowledge, but I want to remind you to warm up pre workout and when your w/o is over THATS when you stretch....

I just want everyone ta keep the fundamentals fresh in their minds...injurys suck!!:(

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
beg to differ on the stretching......Tom Platz would spend nearly as long stretching his legs pre-workout as he would training them. The theory...the more flexible the muscle, the more fibers involved in the lift thus inducing more growth.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
All current research points towards "active stretching" opposed to "static stretching" as a better alternative... Studies have shown that simply stretching the muscles without getting them warm does nothing to prevent injury and doesnt allow you to be as strong once you hit the weights...

I dont necessarily get on a treadmill, but almost half my sets under the weight for my first exercise are warmups...

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
For most upper body I warm up on the overhead row machine with a light weight. It really gets everything moving and nice and warmed up for me and helps with chest, back and shoulder.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
beg to differ on the stretching......Tom Platz would spend nearly as long stretching his legs pre-workout as he would training them. The theory...the more flexible the muscle, the more fibers involved in the lift thus inducing more growth.

All the new research on the subject has proven that one must stretch post their workout because that's when it's most effective and safe. When it's done pre-workout, The muscles relax, lose strength and endurance and it's actually easier to get injured.

I like to warm up my entire body (especially my shoulders) with very light weights. If I am training chest for example, i will warm up thoroughly my delts, then my back and will finally begin my chest workout with very light weights and very high reps.

Last edited:
G

Greenmonster

Sep 28, 2010
Yeah I warm up. I walk from my truck to inside the gym.LOL I also like stretching after workouts because it stretches out the muscle fascia giving the muscle more room to expand and grow.

cyto33

cyto33

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
i will warm up with light weight. turned into a cardio set. this getts the blood flowing and makes me ready to do my heavy sets. so long as the blood is moving and the heart rate is up i'm ready to go.

IronpumpedLady

IronpumpedLady

Sep 9, 2010
Well, it seems we all have our own takes on what it takes to get our bodies prepared for a safe and rewarding workout. But I still follow my basic protocols:

WARM UP - To prevent injury and to improve your performance, always stretch after your muscles are warm and blood has circulated through them. A good warm-up consists of at least 5-10 minutes of low intensity cardio to warm up your lower body muscles and simple Push-Ups for your upper body muscles. Varying shoulder widths, close, wide, and shoulder width.

STRETCHING is usually one of the most neglected areas of a workout which greatly enhances your flexibility. It is highly encouraged prior to beginning each workout, during your workout and after your workout. This will help to maximize exercise performance as well as assist in the prevention of potential injuries.

A flexible joint requires less energy to move, while greatly decreasing your risk of injury. You will reduce muscle soreness and improve your muscular balance and posture with slow controlled stretching that involves a gradual elongation of the muscle through the full range of motion and held for 15-30 seconds in the furthest, most comfortable position. Stretching can also help realign those poor posture structures, making it easier in the activities of daily living.

Stretching promotes muscular relaxation and reduces stress to the lower back by stretching the hamstrings, hip flexors, quadriceps, and other muscles attached to the pelvis. It increases the blood and nutrient supply to the joint tissues. This causes an elevation in temperature which allows greater flexibility of the surrounding tissues and increases in performance and greater range of motion. It also improves muscle coordination by improving the nerve-impulse velocity (the time it takes an impulse to travel to the brain and back), which results in opposing muscle groups to work in a more coordinated fashion.

COOL DOWN - The purpose of the cool down is to ease out of your workout (reverse of the warm-up). Ease out of your workout just as you eased into it. When you have finished a 20-30 minute workout on a treadmill or stationary bike, your heart is jumping and your blood is pumping into those worked muscles. Cooling down puts your body back to normal working conditions. If you rush off after an intense cardiovascular workout and don't cool down first, you risk fainting, nausea, and dizziness. Take 5-10 minutes to cool down, most cardiovascular equipment will guide you through a cool down. If not, just simply drop down a few levels for a few minutes and continue until your body temperature has decreased.

(FLEXIBILITY refers to how far and easy you can move a joint (your range of motion) and the the mobility of your muscles. Of which mainy BBer's lack~!!!!)

Stay Strong~~!!!
IPL

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I stretch and warm up both, snap-crackle-pop is a good sign for increased ROM in my case.

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
Jump rope
leg swings
stretching
pushups/band pull aparts/shoulder mobility stuff
BW squats/SLDL/back extensions
foam rolling
warm up weights

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
as for myself I never warm up and never had an injury and Ive been doing this 30yrs. so why change now but this is just me the rest do what is best for you

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic