Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Do you train with a training partner?

S

Steve Armstrong

Sep 16, 2010
I would really like to be able to train with a partner, but I have never had one as matching up schedules can be tough. I find that it is hard to find anyone that is reliable enough to be a good training partner, then as I said there is also the problem of finding someone with a simlilar schedule.

How do you guys feel about training partners.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Training partners are awesome when they have similar goals and can be relied upon. Nothing like having someone you trust spotting you on heavy sets, yelling encouragement during a tough rep, or pushing you to do another set when you're fried.

Not having them there is somewhat crippling at times in the PL world. I've had amazing luck these last three training cycles. You just have to find like-minded individuals with lots of drive. If you see them pushing themselves to the limit in the gym consistently, by themselves, they might be a good candidate.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I always train harder when I have a partner and we usually do some exercises that I wouldn't normally do alone. Then again, the workouts take way longer and we dont always have the same goals. One of us misses a day and the whole split gets screwed up. Sometimes I don't want to talk. Working out with a partner almost always means one earbud is going to be hanging...

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Depends.Most times yes,if I can get their asses awake as early as I go.LOL.But if not,alone it is.I rarely go for max lifts anymore so im GTG alone anyway.

Steelers4life

Steelers4life

Nov 10, 2012
I've always trained alone in my basement up until this last summer and I was out of town working and had to go to a commercial gym. I found it very hard to maintain my focus at first.

POB and I had a standing bet on my OHP max. So im at the gym and im on my last set, this is it its all or nothing right here right now. I start the vid and head toward the rack, when out of the blue this turd stops in front of me to ask " dude are you a powerlifter?" I pulled my ear bud out and said " huh" as kept walking to the rack.

Damn it now I lost my concentration !!!! Need less to say I missed it by 1 rep and POB won.

I'm not a fan of having people around me when im lifting.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I've pretty much always gone solo.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I used to lift alone. Now I would absolutely hate it.

I must be a part of a team. Music plays loud at my gym. I use it for the vibe. I'm in a zone. I only understand commands.

Just seek someone out and don't be shy.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Like GA said for training for strength it's quite difficult to do it on your own. You need someone to push you, spot you, etc.... I've trained by myself and I gotta say it sucks when PLing. You make very little in terms of strength gains that way.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I hired a coach three years ago, and he spots me on all my heavy lifts. The best part is he keeps me progressing much faster than I would ever do on my own because he knows so much more about this sport than I do.

After two years consistently having him train me, he invited me to join his (by invite only) Saturday morning strongman and power lifting training sessions. Since he is a serious competitor, this is a real honor for anyone who is invited. Now I count myself lucky to have this opportunity to do some high level training I probably wouldn't attempt otherwise.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
My training partners have made all the difference in my training. I was blessed to have an opportunity to train with an awesome crew for my last meet. Uphillclimb, pawghunter, Beastislav and I worked incredibly well together. Each of us has a strength and weakness and when we come together its like when the power rangers combine their shizzles and form that giant cardboard robot that kicks everyones ass into outer space. It's made even better when some of the guys that only train with us on occassion were there. Dieyoungstrong and his wife, douchebagdad...

I love my guys.

E

Eup

Mar 13, 2015
I would love to train with a partner but life seems to get in the way too hard to do all that with family obligations work so I have to get my 1.5 hour in the gym when I can. I've never needed encouragement but would of love to be able to do assisted forced reps over the years but still training is good.

F

fdny2pa

Apr 9, 2015
If I could find someone with the same level of motivation (and same insanity level of going at 0530hrs) I would love to train with a partner

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic