Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Do you touch the bar to your chest when you bench?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I go all the way down but i never lock my elbows on the top of the movement to a) keep the tension on my chest and b) to avoid elbow tendon and ligament problems.

same here bro..i never lock out...i allways keep the tension on my chess ....i go about half way up with a real strick form...

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
The biggest problem I have in flat bench is avoiding shoulder strain. I've had injuries and surgeries in the past that don't allow me great movement on the bench, so I have to make the most of it. I also am taller than most BBers and have longer arms so going all the way down and touching my chest everytime puts a lot of stress on areas that I'd rather not be stressing.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
GS, any specific exercises you have found that strain your shoulder less? Ive had shoulder issues for like 10 or so years...just benched the other day and it destroyed my left shoulder. Im cool with heavy dumbbells from about any angle but for the life of me cannot find a suitable position to bench pain free.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
GS, any specific exercises you have found that strain your shoulder less? Ive had shoulder issues for like 10 or so years...just benched the other day and it destroyed my left shoulder. Im cool with heavy dumbbells from about any angle but for the life of me cannot find a suitable position to bench pain free.

I find myself doing a lot of decline barbell presses just because it puts you in a position where you have to use your chest to get the weight up and doesn't put a ton of stress on the shoulder. Other than that, I've found that dumbbell pullovers have become my best friend as far as chest development.

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
I use a partical range of motion, so that my arm are just below 90deg. I have long arms, so if I goto my chest it takes tension off my chest and put on my shoulders...

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I usually go down to 1" above my chest and using a wide grip

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I always touch thats how I was shown 30yrs ago and its still good today

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I always touch thats how I was shown 30yrs ago and its still good today

dam bro..u been liftting around as long as me...how old a u?im 45 ..i started around 13 and got real serious when i was in highschool...Power trained for 15 years ...untill injuries started taking it toll on my body...But now maintaining most of my lifts except my deadlifts which has sunken down a good bit....dw

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
I almost never let the bar touch the chest unless the weight is really low.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
DW, you have any shoulder issues at all?

W

west

Oct 30, 2010
I let it touch my chest but I only go 3/4 of the way up with no lock out
Great thread

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
i always touch, but then again the first 4 inches off my chest is my weakest point. if i can get it 4 inches off my chest i can lock it out, i guess thats the disadvantage of being tall.

also the length of bar travel is longer in tall people as they generally have longer limbs...that can expend more energy

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic