Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Do you touch the bar to your chest when you bench?

Ryda

Ryda

Mar 23, 2013
With dumbells I can bring them down very low but with the bar it's almost physically impossible for me to do it feels like my arms are gonna pop out the sockets when I go to low

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
When it comes to someone saying, "this is how much I bench" and then they show you some half ROM press.... That's lame. If someone is in the gym not being a braggart, forcing hypertrophy into different parts of his muscle by exercising various ROM, I think that's good money - creative.

So many variables to account for when benching also... Prior injury, nursing a current injury, sticking point training with competitive lifters, muscle symmetry training for bodybuilders, isolation...

But if someone claims they bench more than you and do some pump rep that doesn't lock out or doesn't hit their chest... that's equivalent to doing a quarter squat.

I've gone to only paused reps on the chest for the last 11 weeks and my form thanks me. Just saying...

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Whoops.... Old ass thread bump got me again smh

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Well said anyway GA. Only time I partial rep is after full ROM Bench and its usually in the form of an accessory lift ie; Floor Press, Board work, Pin/Rack Press.......

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I always touch the bar to my chest for bench press. It ain't a full rep unless you do. :ChopperEmo:

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I try to touch my chest, but sometimes when I'm doing reps for a working set I don't quite touch.

I don't do it on purpose, it just kinda happens. When the weight starts to get heavy (Heavy for me) and the pressure starts to build up things get kinda rough.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well said anyway GA. Only time I partial rep is after full ROM Bench and its usually in the form of an accessory lift ie; Floor Press, Board work, Pin/Rack Press.......

I do enjoy me some pin presses but I also agree.... full range for the main lift.

M

MissLC

TID Lady Member
Nov 23, 2015
I stop just shy of touching my chest while still trying to maximize the stretch on the negative.

A

aperry580

Oct 1, 2015
nope my hands are on the bar.......oh wait the bar yeah it touches

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic