Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
bsimon7074
What's New?

Do you think we should train different than the boys?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I have such a hard time convincing my wife that training all dainty isn't the way to go. She doesn't want to grow blocky and thinks heavier weights will produce this look. I need Jillian Michaels to email her or something. Smh

I saw this post was from 3 years ago...

Starting this past Winter, Wifey has ran six waves of 5/3/1 and has since benched 135, pulled 285 and squatted 185 x 5. She trains like a powerlifter and eats like a powerlifter. She's gained some muscle, walks the track for 10 minutes after workouts when possible and looks better than she did in 2012 when it was all 8-12 reps and 60 minutes of heavy cardio. She even weighs more but still wears the same clothes from 2012 when she was 15 pounds lighter.

I've been helping her get her 5/3/1 programming straight as she really likes setting rep PRs, but I'm throwing in an extra bench session every week to see how that translates. I keep hearing how more volume for women is the way to go. Too bad I haven't found any reading material regarding women's powerlifting training to back up these thoughts... I'm all ears, as always, if anyone has some suggested literature.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Just a random thought on bench/ overhead. I know it's a bit different for women to gain upper body strength. I have found we handle and gain better with heavier percentages

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
There's no reason women should lift any differently than men. The point is to lift in a way that is functionally correct and allows you to reach your personal goals. To that end, form first (male or female) and then work w/ the weight that is appropriate for you to maintain that form but let you continue to progress forward towards your goal. A female bodybuilder may be going for hypertrophy via ultra heavy wts & low reps cycled w/ deloading phases accompanied by a bulker diet and later adjusted down to cut, while a Bikini competitor may be doing more high rep stuff and keeping a more consistent diet since hypertrophy isn't the goal, but rather conditioning is. The form should still be the same.

The only consideration might be e.g. natural center of gravity and pivot points that vary structurally between men & women.

This post sums it up perfectly imo.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic