Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Do you do Klokov Press

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've mentioned it before but it needs to get cut and it should've been twice already. I'm ignorant and its damaged until its fixed. Originally tore it in 1998 then real bad in 02 and 05. I have half a golf ball sticking out sometimes.

I've done every exercise and seen more physical therapists trying to avoid surgery and being in a sling for 6 months because its needs total reconstruction. Demon in my closet to say the least.

He's not kidding. You can SEE clearly how f ucked up his shoulder is. Working his bench is a joy ;)

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
...I believe there is a inverse correlation between OHP and bench.
So do I, and many lifters don't place enough emphasis on strengthening their shoulders. When I say "strengthening their shoulders" I'm not really talking about the mainstream BB'ing shoulder exercises. I'm thinking of the ones that are being mentioned here ~ Klolov's, 1 x arm dumbell clean & presses, Z presses, Bradford's etc etc.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
So do I, and many lifters don't place enough emphasis on strengthening their shoulders. When I say "strengthening their shoulders" I'm not really talking about the mainstream BB'ing shoulder exercises. I'm thinking of the ones that are being mentioned here ~ Klolov's, 1 x arm dumbell clean & presses, Z presses, Bradford's etc etc.

They also don't do enough or many don't do any prehab (preventative) movements for their shoulder girdle.

Azog

Azog

Sep 9, 2012
I used to do these or some variant at least 2x a week when I was oly lifting. We didn't call them Klokovs though. Just behind the neck snatch grip presses. Or BTN Snatch push presses. I love them. Even tho I strictly "BB" now, I still rock these frequently. Shoulders are my pet bodypart and my best. I love shoulder day! Another good shoulder exercise we used to do was "muscle snatches". These are brutal after a full workout. Basically, just snatch a small ass weight from the hips, but slowly and using no drive and only "muscle" the pull.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
It seems that Koklov Presses are being confused for behind the neck presses in this thread. Maybe not by all, but certainly some of you are using the terms interchangeably.

A behind the neck press is just like an overhead press from the chest, except it is done from behind the head instead of in front.

A Koklov Press is done with a wide snatch grip, but it is not completed by pushing up. It is completed by trying to pull the bar apart and rotating your scapulars inwards and down. Think of the bar as a band and you are merely trying to stretch the band out until your elbows are straight. The emphasis is most assuredly on the rotation of the shoulder girdle, scapulars, and the flexing of the rear delts and triceps.

There is a huge difference between the two in terms of how much weight can be used and shoulder health. In my opinion, behind the neck presses can be, and often are, dangerous and ill-advised. Koklov presses, on the other hand, have been a staple for me since starting Brandon Lilly's Cube Method. My shoulders feel healthier now while handling more weight than ever.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Z Presses are awesome. One of my favorites. Porky, I believe there is a inverse correlation between OHP and bench. Many of the top Oly lifters (SHW) don't bench and yet they can bench 500lbs+ raw and they don't train it. They do however perform MANY different OHP in their training. Now, I say inverse b/c the opposite isn't true. I've seen bench big numbers and yet they can't OHP shit.

Had To Come back and thank you BI for the z press suggestion been working them on for 6-8 weeks now in place of any other ohp and the. Focusing on lat movements in training for my show to try to get a better shape and contour and holy hell my shoulders have never looked better ! Hats off to you sir

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Had To Come back and thank you BI for the z press suggestion been working them on for 6-8 weeks now in place of any other ohp and the. Focusing on lat movements in training for my show to try to get a better shape and contour and holy hell my shoulders have never looked better ! Hats off to you sir

Happy to help. They're a favorite pressing movement of mine and they pay HUGE dividends if you work them.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks for the reminder BI, I haven't done them in a while.

Might have to reintroduce the Z press and Bradford's as well.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I do Bradfords all the time
Have you tried the Z Presses SJA? Worth throwing into the mix; with any leg drive out of the picture and the fact you have to get your core firing in order to move the bigger weights, it's a tough exercise but a real gem.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Remember to work your shoulder mobility if you're going to perform any movement that has you pressing behind your neck. Also, go light with bradford presses. Going heavy can cause injuries.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Have you tried the Z Presses SJA? Worth throwing into the mix; with any leg drive out of the picture and the fact you have to get your core firing in order to move the bigger weights, it's a tough exercise but a real gem.

a long long time ago. I had some shoulder issues and stopped.....but I am going to give it another whirl now that you guy reminded me.

BI - I go pretty light with Bradfords and typically put them in the middle of training so that I am plenty warm. My old ass doesn't need a surgery LMAO

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic