Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Do you do Klokov Press

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
These and Savickas presses have done pretty well for me..... but I rarely use much weight in these.

As a powerlifter I am looking to keep my shoulders healthy for benching, and not really trying to build my overhead press.

I've pushed 365 overhead for a strict press, 225 tops for Savickas and 135 for Klokov. Usually it's lighter than that though.

Z Presses are awesome. One of my favorites. Porky, I believe there is a inverse correlation between OHP and bench. Many of the top Oly lifters (SHW) don't bench and yet they can bench 500lbs+ raw and they don't train it. They do however perform MANY different OHP in their training. Now, I say inverse b/c the opposite isn't true. I've seen bench big numbers and yet they can't OHP shit.

Last edited:
jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
In soviet Russia, klokov presses you! Z presses look pretty sweet, going to work them in this week

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Z Presses are awesome. One of my favorites. Porky, I believe there is a inverse correlation between OHP and bench. Many of the top Oly lifters (SHW) don't bench and yet they can bench 500lbs+ raw and they don't train it. They do however perform MANY different OHP in their training. Now, I say inverse b/c the opposite isn't true. I've seen bench big numbers and yet they can't OHP shit.

I totally agree. When I popped a pec tendon a few years back I maintained most of my strength during 4 months of rehab by overhead pressing. Good point about the inverse not being true too.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
So I'm just wondering, As a former Olympic lifter, I work strict press, jerks, behind the neck press into my shoulder workout and follow with smaller muscles.
I am just wondering the frequency with which you do these movements? It will be really taxing on your complete shoulder to do is check press, the behind the neck press, as he pressed, anything else really for that matter, in one day.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I work these just 1x week.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
So I'm just wondering, As a former Olympic lifter, I work strict press, jerks, behind the neck press into my shoulder workout and follow with smaller muscles.
I am just wondering the frequency with which you do these movements? It will be really taxing on your complete shoulder to do is check press, the behind the neck press, as he pressed, anything else really for that matter, in one day.

I don't go very heavy with them, I usually work them in after my OHP and I tend to superset them with face pulls or pull a parts.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
If you work on your shoulder mobility, you can put them in as an assisting lift.

I've mentioned it before but it needs to get cut and it should've been twice already. I'm ignorant and its damaged until its fixed. Originally tore it in 1998 then real bad in 02 and 05. I have half a golf ball sticking out sometimes.

I've done every exercise and seen more physical therapists trying to avoid surgery and being in a sling for 6 months because its needs total reconstruction. Demon in my closet to say the least.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
What's the difference between a klokov press and a jerk?

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Google clean and jerk vs behind the neck press.

HUGE difference.

PM me if you wanna discuss, I OL forever.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic