Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Do knee wraps protect knees?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Thoughts on knee wraps actually protecting the knee joint? With all the blow outs lately I was wondering if the risk increased by not using them? Personally, I am thinking not so much about the one time freak accident, but wear and tear over time.

Hawk

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
No they do not. They let you lift more weight. Sleeves may help just by keeping the knees warm.

Better bet to protect the knees would be regular flossing of the joint and taking care of the surrounding tissues to keep knots and stuff at bay

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would argue that the wraps create a more stable environment therefore supporting the knee and you could say "protect" the knee. This effect is nullified by the fact that the lifter will load more on the bar but it still creates a more stable environment thus supporting the knee.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would argue that the wraps create a more stable environment therefore supporting the knee and you could say "protect" the knee. This effect is nullified by the fact that the lifter will load more on the bar but it still creates a more stable environment thus supporting the knee.

All that fabric behind the knee though. A tight wrap will create gapping at the joint. Then you load with weight. Then stretch the tendons and ligaments.

And you and I have seen plenty of dudes blow their knees out while wearing wraps. First example off the top of my head would be Brandon Lilly.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Dr. Squat agrees with you POB in that wrapping the knees actually weakens them as they are not introduced to loads that will strengthen them.

Truthfully, I tend to think that constant heavy squating throughout the year causes the trauma.

Hawk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I believe that you shouldn't rely on wraps either. I don't break them out till I'm at >90% on my squats b/c I do want to strengthen my knee joint so I want them to support heavy loads and as my squats continue to increase my 90% increases which means more weight is added to the bar before I break out the wraps.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I believe that you shouldn't rely on wraps either. I don't break them out till I'm at >90% on my squats b/c I do want to strengthen my knee joint so I want them to support heavy loads and as my squats continue to increase my 90% increases which means more weight is added to the bar before I break out the wraps.

This is the way I have trained in the past as well, but with my buddy blowing out his I suddenly became acutley aware of the risk we face whenever we step on the platform. I couldn't afford to be down while a knee healed up. So, I wanted the reassurance I was handeling things right.

Hawk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This is the way I have trained in the past as well, but with my buddy blowing out his I suddenly became acutley aware of the risk we face whenever we step on the platform. I couldn't afford to be down while a knee healed up. So, I wanted the reassurance I was handeling things right.

Hawk

There is always the risk but we stop and think about it more when something happens.

I also believe that high amounts of gear can be associated with injuries. Muscle gets stronger, faster then ligaments and therefore increases possibility for injury to the lifter when lifters decide to keep lifting heavier and heavier to quickly.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There's more than one thing to consider here......
Do wraps protect the joint? Yes by giving stability.
Do wraps prevent blow outs? Not really, because most blow outs aren't the joint or caused by the joint itself. So, wraps don't cause them either.

My knee blowout WAS actually a piece of bone breaking free. The rehab from that has been terrible and there's a big chance it'll never move correctly again. It's been 2 and a half years and 2 surgeries.

Most knee blowouts, though, are tendons letting go -like what happened to your buddy and to Brandon. That has nothing to do with the joint itself. A tear like that is caused over time. You get adhesions in the muscle that stops it from moving correctly which places more stress on it and on its tie-ins.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
There is always the risk but we stop and think about it more when something happens.

I also believe that high amounts of gear can be associated with injuries. Muscle gets stronger, faster then ligaments and therefore increases possibility for injury to the lifter when lifters decide to keep lifting heavier and heavier to quickly.

I would agree 100%. So many guys think just like that. I try and tell them that more drugs will not make them stronger just get them hurt. I explain lifters of the past were just as strong but didnt use nearly the amount of todays competitors. Combine that with needing to hit a PR every week and I see a lot of minor injuries as well.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
There's more than one thing to consider here......
Do wraps protect the joint? Yes by giving stability.
Do wraps prevent blow outs? Not really, because most blow outs aren't the joint or caused by the joint itself. So, wraps don't cause them either.

My knee blowout WAS actually a piece of bone breaking free. The rehab from that has been terrible and there's a big chance it'll never move correctly again. It's been 2 and a half years and 2 surgeries.

Most knee blowouts, though, are tendons letting go -like what happened to your buddy and to Brandon. That has nothing to do with the joint itself. A tear like that is caused over time. You get adhesions in the muscle that stops it from moving correctly which places more stress on it and on its tie-ins.

Yeah, the ortho said my buddies injury was a long time coming. Years, of training, football and life exposed the injury on that day under the greatest load of his life. The quad tore and nothing besides not getting on the platform would have prevented it.

I guess my original question of long term injury prevention makes some room for wraps under the right situations. I know when I ace bandage my ankle before sports I rarely injure it. Not the same, but similar in my mind. I wrap in high stress situations and so far it has worked.

Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic