Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

DLB robbed at desert muscle contest

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
This I think is where the confusion seems to come in...

I am trying to understand the criteria, maybe Sassy can help clear it up. I think they look for:
1. Symmetry
2. Body Composition - should be very low bodyfat, but not extremely low bodyfat. Should not be shredded, veiny and grainy.
3. Open Hand Posing
4. Beauty and Femininity

I suppose its basically, figure but with a little more muscle???

I think the standing issue is the NPC's definition of WPD. Its kinda like Obama's platform in 2008. "Not Bush". It almost has nothing to do w/ what they do bring to the stage, but rather what they DON'T. Not hard - in fact soft. They're pushing "soft" for bikini & figure - so where is the deliniation? The other annoying thing is that when you go too soft, its hard to make muscle look good. Women also tend to not be 'soft" proportionally. Open hand posing is no biggie, but by the same token, there has never been a standard for WPD posing - just descriptions - so you end up a variety of interpretations. My personal preference is the approach the international figure girls take. (Different posing style - you'd have to go research it if you want more detail.)

Anyway, w/ the focus so much on softness, you give up a lot of stuff.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
If Dana had implants I am sure she would of won

I think she looks great with out them and am a fan if hers

Yes she looks better if you ask me

You still assume Dana had "the look". I love her shape and would pay cash money to see her legs cut up. Traditionally she tends to be harder on top than in the legs. But she's probably too hard. The top 3 didn't really have abs. Jillian had a nice rear look - she is leaner, proportionally for sure, but needs more quad & bicep to balance it. The winner Karina had nice balance, but IMO she didn't have a good Y or X shape - i.e. limited shoulder to waist ratio and a little light in the biceps, along w/ limited shoulder to waist ratio, not much back definition. The second place winner was more balanced top to bottom, but seemed a little bloaty in the lower abs. Everyone else was probably coming in too big or too hard relative to the original definition.

I'm still not seeing enough delineation between this & Figure - on a couple other boards a comparison of Tanji Johnson (Fitness) and first place Karina - Tanji is still bigger, and she's more representative of figure - which is supposed to be the step down from WPD.

Hopefully still evolving but they did judge to their original definition.

Last edited:

Nov 5, 2011
Dana in the offseason is still harder than the winner

H

HomeGrown

Oct 30, 2011
To be honest I have only seen these 2 pics
You still assume Dana had "the look". I love her shape and would pay cash money to see her legs cut up. Traditionally she tends to be harder on top than in the legs. But she's probably too hard. The top 3 didn't really have abs. Jillian had a nice rear look - she is leaner, proportionally for sure, but needs more quad & bicep to balance it. The winner Karina had nice balance, but IMO she didn't have a good Y or X shape - i.e. limited shoulder to waist ratio and a little light in the biceps, along w/ limited shoulder to waist ratio, not much back definition. The second place winner was more balanced top to bottom, but seemed a little bloaty in the lower abs. Everyone else was probably coming in too big or too hard relative to the original definition.

I'm still not seeing enough delineation between this & Figure - on a couple other boards a comparison of Tanji Johnson (Fitness) and first place Karina - Tanji is still bigger, and she's more representative of figure - which is supposed to be the step down from WPD.

Hopefully still evolving but they did judge to their original definition.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Ive seen worse rip-offs. Kevin Levrone, Nasser, Shawn Ray, Ect. This is right up there though. I think at the top it sometimes has little to do with how you look and more to do with other factors.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I'd like to compare DLB to her last years jr. usa then compare karia, I don't think K looks much different than a figure girl, hell my figure girls have more abs. They put DLB in 4th, how the heck does that happen given her condition. See I thought the idea was inbetween figure and BB, 1980s womens BB if you will. For those wondering here are the rules/criteria:

WOMENS PHYSIQUE (Updated 11/17/11)

DEFINITION:
WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE DIVISION HAS BEEN CREATED TO GIVE A PLATFORM FOR WOMEN WHO ENJOY WEIGHT TRAINING, COMPETING, CONTEST PREPERATION. COMPETITORS SHOULD DISPLAY A TONED, ATHLETIC PHYSIQUE SHOWCASING FEMININITY, MUSCLE TONE, BEAUTY/FLOW OF PHYSIQUE.

JUDGING CRITERIA:
WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE WILL BE JUDGED ON THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:

SYMMETRY, SHAPE, PROPORTION, MUSCLE TONE, POISE AND BEAUTY FLOW
* PHYSIQUE ASSESSMENT AND COMPARISON WILL TAKE PLACE DURING PREJUDGING
PHYSIQUE SHOULD DISPLAY ALL OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA WITHOUT COMPROMISING FEMININITY, BEAUTY/FLOW OF PHYSIQUE, ETC.

THE FOLLOWING ARE EXAMPLES OF COMMON TERMS USED IN THE BODYBUILDING INDUSTRY. THESE WORDS CAN BE HELPFUL TO ASSESS WHAT SHOULD NOT BE DESCRIPTIVE TO THE PHYSIQUES BEING JUDGED IN WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE:
EX.) RIPPED, SHREDDED, PEELED, STRIATED, DRY, DICED, HARD, VASCULAR, GRAINY, MASSIVE, THICK, DENSE, ETC.

WHILE ALL TYPES OF PHYSIQUES WILL BE CONSIDERED WHEN IT COMES TO HEIGHT, WEIGHT, STRUCTURE, ETC. EXCESSIVE MUSCULARITY SHOULD BE SCORED DOWN ACCORDINGLY.

WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE COMPETITORS SHOULD HAVE THE OVERALL AESTHETICS AND LOOK THAT IS FOUND IN FIGURE WITH A LITTLE MORE OVERALL MUSCULARITY.

JUDGING FORMAT:

PREJUDGING
INDIVIDUAL ROUTINE WITH 10 SECOND WARNING UP TO ONE MINUTE IN TIME.
QUARTER TURNS
MANDATORY POSING COMPARISONS/ CALLOUTS

FINALS
INDIVIDUAL POSING ROUTINE

WHO QUALIFIES FOR NATIONAL LEVEL WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE COMPETITIONS:
For 2012, the top three (3) in a national qualifying Women’s Physique contest will be qualified for the NPC USA and NPC National Championships. The top five (5) will qualify for all other national contests including the NPC Junior USA, NPC Junior National, NPC Team Universe and IFBB North American Championships. At a non-qualifying contest, no athletes are qualified for a national contest.

RULES
*SUITS WORN BY WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE COMPETITORS FOR PREJUDGING MUST BE A TWO PIECE. SUITS DO NOT HAVE TO BE SOLID IN COLOR. THE BOTTOM OF THE SUIT MUST BE V-SHAPED. NO THONGS ARE PERMITTED. COMPETITORS CAN COMPETE IN AN OFF THE RACK SUIT. ALL SUITS MUST BE IN GOOD TASTE.
*MANDATOTY POSES WILL BE PERFORMED WITH OPEN HAND STYLE AND INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING POSES:

FRONT DOUBLE BICEPS/OPEN HANDS (NO FLAT FOOTED FULL FRONT POSE – SOME SORT OF FRONT TWISTING POSE)
BACK DOUBLE BICEPS/OPEN HANDS
SIDE TRICEP WITH LEG EXTENDED
SIDE CHEST WITH ARMS EXTENDED
FRONT AB/THIGH
*FINALS ROUTINE WILL BE MAXIMUM 90 SECONDS IN LENGTH, PERFORMED TO MUSIC OF ATHLETES CHOICE ADHERING TO RULES SET FORTH BY THE NPC.
MUSIC CONTAINING PROFANITY OR EXPLICIT LANGUAGE SHOULD NOT BE USED AND MAY RESULT IN ROUTINE BEING CUT SHORT.

*NO PROPS WILL BE USED.
*NO HEELS MAY BE WORN AT ANY TIME DURING THE COMPETITON/JUDGING OF WOMEN’S PHYSIQUE.

Promoters can choose to have one height class, two height classes, three height classes or four height classes.

For contests with two height classes:

Up to & including 5’6”
Over 5’6”
For contests with three height classes:

Up to & including 5’4”
Over 5’4” up to including 5’6”
Over 5’6”
For contests with four height classes:

Up to & including 5’2”
Over 5’2” up to including 5’4”
Over 5’4” up to including 5’6”
Over 5’6”
QUALIFYING FOR IFBB PROFESSIONAL STATUS:
NPC JUNIOR USA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Height Class Winners
NPC JUNIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Height Class Winners
NPC TEAM UNIVERSE CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 3 In Each Height Class
NPC MASTERS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP – Height Class Winners
NPC USA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 In Each Height Class
IFBB NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 In Each Height Class
NPC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 In Each Height Class

I don't think DLB was over muscled or dry so I'm not sure what put her to 4th....

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Just so we all know what we're talking about:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
Sassy thanks for the posts they were helpful in clarifying to me the difference between the categories. I have to agree that I was thinking the same thing about there not appearing to be much of a difference between some of the different categories. I wonder if some type of weight, height, body fat limit would be a more definitive type of structure to say who belongs to which category.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
I dont care what the judges say, DLB was the best up there hands down.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic