Dsjb1
What's New?

Disc Replacement?

test
C

Change Melisa Skyler

TID Lady Member
May 21, 2018
Hey, I feel you. My back's been a wreck since my 40s, and I've been down the injection road too. They work wonders for a bit, right? As for artificial disc replacement, I haven't had it myself, but a buddy of mine did. He said it was a game changer for him, much better mobility now. Definitely worth the consultation to see if it's a fit for you.

Paramuscle

Paramuscle

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2024
Hey, I feel you. My back's been a wreck since my 40s, and I've been down the injection road too. They work wonders for a bit, right? As for artificial disc replacement, I haven't had it myself, but a buddy of mine did. He said it was a game changer for him, much better mobility now. Definitely worth the consultation to see if it's a fit for you.
Thank you. I am hopeful going into this and maybe it is the right fit for me. With all my allergies, I am trying to avoid as many unneeded surgeries and a major fusion doesn't seem like a very good idea in terms of that. My neurosurgeon back home wanted to admit me to the hospital and "try" different medications to see if they could find something I didn't react too. Problem is, I have had maybe 6 times thus far where I went full blown anaphylactic and I don't want to do that again. I was medivac'd in Iraq in '08 for Ibuprofen. I can't take anything....

~PM

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I remember when I asked my neurosurgeon if I'd lose range of motion with my l4-s1 360 fusion... He asked how my rom was now lol...

Anyway... Very similar situation.

Terrible back from the military for 15 years. Finally couldn't take it anymore.

Back home in 4 days... 6 weeks in brace. 3x/week physical therapy, and hired a personal trainer to just focus on range of motion.

I also took a therapeutic dose of gh for 6 months, about 3iu/day.

Surgery was in December. Brace off mid January (when I also stopped taking pain meds after several SEVERAL years), done with pt by march. By June I was jumping and bouncing all over the place. I also grew about 1.25" from the 2 spacers.

They went in the front and back, and wrapped my fusion with a cage?

Disc replacement seems so awesome, but you can only do it for 1 disc and you better not have degenerative disc disease above or below. They also make several different types.

Regardless, my fusion was the best thing I've done in like 20 years
FDA recently approved 2 level with prodisc.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
I had a guy that worked for me have 4 fused together and went back 10 years later and made them undo the fusion. Said he couldn't take it any longer. He says he felt better after having it"undone".

Also had an ex gf that had hers just "cleaned up" and she was in so much more pain following. She said she wished she had never done it.

If it was me, I'd opt for the disc replacement over fusion.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
What's going in with the replacement? I had mine done 4 months ago and feel amazing. Did you get infections or have problems with hardware?
Some places will do 2 disks. They can get around things by adding you to an ongoing research trial I think that is the workaround. But all my cervical disks are cracked and degenerative so that maybe slowing my recovery. I’d like to get more imaging to check the hardware but they kind of move on from you a few months post surgery. Need to get back on top of them.

Reactions: 5.0
Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I have degeneration from L3 down but no surgery yet. I stopped heavy stuff and stretch a whole lot. What helped me a lot was to do yoga for 8 months straight 2x a week. Yoga people are a bunch of weirdos but I didn't care. It helped my joints. I'm due for another 2-3 month stint probably. Sad but I just don't do much heavy stuff anymore that loads the spine. maybe something else will kill me before i need to have back surgery. I have to many friends that ended up all f__ked up from back surgery. Good to see some of us here did well with it.

Paramuscle

Paramuscle

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2024
Some places will do 2 disks. They can get around things by adding you to an ongoing research trial I think that is the workaround. But all my cervical disks are cracked and degenerative so that maybe slowing my recovery. I’d like to get more imaging to check the hardware but they kind of move on from you a few months post surgery. Need to get back on top of them.
This is the cat I was talking about

~PM

Kosher Fried

Kosher Fried

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I had a guy that worked for me have 4 fused together and went back 10 years later and made them undo the fusion. Said he couldn't take it any longer. He says he felt better after having it"undone".

Also had an ex gf that had hers just "cleaned up" and she was in so much more pain following. She said she wished she had never done it.

If it was me, I'd opt for the disc replacement over fusion.
I personally am very lucky.. I know all kinds of horror stories about fusions.

Paramuscle

Paramuscle

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2024
I guess you can just ignore my questions, apparently I am not a candidate for disc replacement. My back is apparently too fucked up for that to be an option. They did X-rays today and the L5/S1 disc is gone, the gap is closed and he said its literally bone on bone so that's good. They scheduled me for another MRI as the last one I had was a couple of years old. I am also scheduled for injections again which I look forward to as they have been quite helpful in the past. So its a fusion or nothing. I will know the number of levels they need to do after the MRI. I appreciate all the advice and information on the topic but I guess there are other plans now.

~PM

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
It's like the Statler Brothers said, "Life Gets Complicated When You Get Past 18 ... " except complications are not always that simple.

Been spending a lot of time here trying to learn stuff about my possible/maybe shoulder surgery AND learning about spine options for my Wife ... all of this from ppl here I tend to trust more than the first few MD's who take insurance and can see you next week.

Trouble is, both my Wife and legendary PL Lamar Gant* were born with scoliosis, which tends to throw spine surgeons' expertise sideways when patients get past 18.

* NO truth to rumors my Wife + Lamar Gant are twins, btw, and especially not Identical Twins.

Paramuscle

Paramuscle

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2024
Mines pretty straight forward. Bouncing around in armored vehicles for a decade in places hotter than this whole carrying large amounts of gear on the upper torso tends to beat the shit out of you. That and being blown up but terrorists aren't exactly know for their compassion when it comes to other people's schedules. I have been putting it off as long as I can because I can't take any pain medications. I literally can't even take Advil. I can't have anti inflammatory medications either so surgery for me sucks balls I am telling you. I had both biceps repaired in the last six months and they were both 100% complete distal ruptures and it sucks balls. I have now had 13 surgeries and I honestly am not afraid of the surgery, I am afraid of what comes after. Countless hours of miserable pain wears you the fuck out. I use THC gummies but that aint real good with pain.... It is what it is.

My right shoulder was done and its better than before. I am strong like bull.

Sorry to hear about the wife though bro. Hope it gets better.

~PM

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . .
Sorry to hear about the wife though bro. Hope it gets better.

~PM
It won't, but that was up to a higher power long ago. In turn, I am sorry the revolving cast of fat fucks in suits in Washington has had their effect on you and others here who wore uniforms instead of expensive suits. (but I digress)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic