Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Diet for Teenage Son

H

haze

Dec 14, 2011
So my 14 yr old son is in boxing. I want to help him clean up his diet. I just am not sure how to determine calorie intake, protein, fats, and carbs. He is 5'4" and 208 lbs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Clean it up? Not sure what you intend. What kind of condition is he in? 208 seems awful heavy for his height.

My own personal philosophy, so of course anyone can disagree, is that any kid with the exception of one whose health is at risk from obesity should not be put on a "diet." You need to be very careful not to cut his calories too low.

As far as macros, protein at .8g/kg of bodyweight is good enough. Fat at around .5g/kg of bodyweight and then enough carbs to fuel his activities.

htu

htu

Jan 15, 2012
I would be cautious to use the word diet around a 14 year old. I would just keep healthy food choices in the house at his age and let him choose. I have a 14 year old step son and he is into being as skinny as possible, like his friends. They never eat, wear skinny jeans and think skinny is cool. My wrists are bigger than his arms. This generation has a different outlook then we did. Geek is the new Cool.

H

haze

Dec 14, 2011
I guess diet was the wrong wording. I don't want to restrict his caloric intake too heavily. I believe it would weaken him. I want him to be at a healthy weight for his age, height and build. I know his body is still maturing and I don't want to do anything that could harm him. A friend of mine gave me a sample meal plan but it is only 1600 calories a day. I feel that it is not enough calories for him or for the demand of boxing.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I agree with you that 1600 calories per day is too low for a boy his age who is also active in boxing. I'm not exactly sure how many calories he'll be burning a day, but it's very possible that he could be burning between 500-1000 calories per day just in this new activity, at which point, if he's presently a bit soft and fluffy, his body will likely begin changing, and in a hurry.

Boxing is a great activity for a kid. I hope he enjoys it!

H

haze

Dec 14, 2011
I appreciate the responses. I think I will start with having healthier choices around the house and cut out the junk.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic