Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Did the SPF start a slingshot division ?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
My bench partner and I were talking about holding a meet up our way since we are pretty depraved for a metropolitan of 3M people. As you know when you talk about meets you need to consider records and that means powerliftingwatch etc...so when I mentioned how about the SPF he chuckled and told me about the new slingshot division.

I shook my head in disbelief. If this ia true what has that fed come to? And why oh why?

Any thoughts?

Hawk

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Yeah, Jesse said he was doing a slingshot bench and deadlift with straps..... I thought it was bullshit at first too, but then I read his post and changed my mind.

Slingshit and straps deadlifts are only being done as single lifts, totally separate from normal competition. So, you can't post a total containing either one and the records are kept separate.

So, this is just a way to get more newbies in to meets doing an odd lift just for fun - or an old fart who is too beat up to compete normally can now just do one of those divisions for fun. Both of those sound like good things to me. Good for him for offering it to his lifters if they want it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah, Jesse said he was doing a slingshot bench and deadlift with straps..... I thought it was bullshit at first too, but then I read his post and changed my mind.

Slingshit and straps deadlifts are only being done as single lifts, totally separate from normal competition. So, you can't post a total containing either one and the records are kept separate.

So, this is just a way to get more newbies in to meets doing an odd lift just for fun - or an old fart who is too beat up to compete normally can now just do one of those divisions for fun. Both of those sound like good things to me. Good for him for offering it to his lifters if they want it.

I guess this is his way of trying to appeal to the masses.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
In for reverse band strict curl championship

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
First I heard of it and I don't see the point.

I use a slingshot in training but I don't consider the weight I lift with it as my real bench number.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Some might disagree with me, but this might be a ploy to get more involved, or it might be a way to make some money from Mark Bell and company. Either way, I guess I just am not a fan. I get that it isn't something that is part of the regular meet, but why bother? I feel that it would be best to stick to the traditional lifts and not make meets more of a circus. Like any type of competition or in life, we must accept our capabilities and do what we can. We all can't be astronauts.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic