Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Developing Lower Abs

C

chrome

Sep 14, 2010
My upper abs are pretty solid. but i have flab in my lower abs and my love handles, i really dislike doing side crunches and was curious if anyone knew in exercises to work on my sides and my lower abs. Or maybe just ab exercises in general would be killer thanks

I also want to say I used to be pretty big, and working out has givien me a whole new lease on life. i feel better and respect myself more, this website is awesome, thanks everyone

Spikykite

Spikykite

Feb 14, 2011
Bodybuilding.com - Building Shredded Abs! - Bodybuilding.com

Many people consider that the lower abs are the most difficult abdominal muscles to define. Developing a lean hard-ripped midsection requires great effort and patience, especially when it comes to lose those last few pounds. The lower abs can be the most stubborn and exercise-resistant area regarding the loss of body fat. Unfortunately, some individuals are so obsessed with this spot that do not hesitate to use extremely hazardous diet drugs or liposuction. Others use the latest abs devices or do countless sit-ups, all to no avail. Don’t be kidding yourself! The only proved method of get rid of the adipose tissue is the proper combination of a healthy diet, aerobics, a comprehensive abdominal training and weight training.
Before we proceed to a training routine that's main target would be the development of the lower abs, lets clear some thoughts. First of all you have to realize that there is no such thing as ‘spot reduction’. In simple words you can’t isolate where you are going to reduce body fat. When you burn fat, you will draw it from all areas of the body, including your feet, neck and hands!, it won't just come off your stomach!! the first place you tend to hold it will be the last place it comes off. When it comes to these ‘stubborn’ spots genetics play a crucial role. Both sexes have different genetic patterns of fat storage. In women, the stubborn areas tend to be the hips, thighs and buttocks. In men it’s usually the lower abs. These genetic traits cannot be altered or changed through diet or training alone. They are unchangeable. You should understand that the shape of your abs is entirely genetic. If you do not have great abs naturally, a million of crunches won’t build a hard six-pack mid-section. The number of rows of abdominal muscles you possess (or packs) is also entirely a matter of genetics. Most people have three rows = 6 Pack, but some have four rows = 8 Pack. Whatever the number of abs God gave you is what you have. You cannot do anything about it.

A great routine which develops the lower abs would be the following:
hang52.jpg
1)
Hanging Leg Raises: Grasp a chinning bar with an overhand grip and hang at arms’ length from the bar. Now raise your knees as high as you can, trying to touch them to your chest (bent your knees while doing this). At this point flex the abs hard and lower slowly in complete control. Do not swing while doing this movement as this motion will reduce the effectiveness of this exercise.

romancc.jpg
2)
Roman Chair Crunches: Position yourself on a Roman chair bench, forearms on the pads and hangs gripping the handles. Start with your legs fully extended. Now pull up your knees as high as you can toward your chest. Hold at this point for a 2-count and then lower your legs back down slowly to the start position. It’s important to control your legs at all times. Avoid letting your body get into swinging motion which will detract from the effectiveness of the exercise.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Diet and cardio... All the gimmicks and crunches in the world arent doing shit if you have fat covering them up...

G

GOAL200

Jan 15, 2011
I like hanging knee raises. Weighted once they become easy. Bring knees out in front of you, ending with the bend in your knees 90 degrees (meaning dont bring your knees in to your chest...bring them up into a seated-in-a-chair position). Controlling the movement will use all your abs.

D

dknompton

Feb 5, 2014
Do you do standing side crunches? They're still pretty effective at working the muscle as compared to lying side crunches. But it's not going to target the fat in that area. It's not how fat loss works. You eat right, create a caloric deficit, you'll burn fat. Give it time, that last couple lbs in the midsection is some of the hardest fat to lose. Don't get discouraged and know them abs will come when they are ready :)

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
This is a really old thread, but since its up I'll comment.no matter what AB exercises are performed, losing body fat is what matters. Doing 1000 crunches isn't going to rid the fat tht is covering them. Unfortunately, you can't choose where on your body to burn fat. Your genetics decide that all on their own. So the main goal would be to follow a program that will keep you in a negative energy balance to burn fat while maintaining lean tissue. And just pray that those areas are where your genetics decide to begin burning fat, which in most cases isn't as likely, but possible nonetheless.

D

dknompton

Feb 5, 2014
I feel dumb. I did not even notice this was such an old thread, wasn't trying to revive it from the dead to up post or anything :l my bad..

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I feel dumb. I did not even notice this was such an old thread, wasn't trying to revive it from the dead to up post or anything :l my bad..

Lol you're good man. It's happened a few times today. Some old ones were popping up as new

D

drwright

May 28, 2015
Some fat - just stays and can only be removed using surgery

Its in the genes. Some people are "blessed" with there genetics and high metabolism. They eat whatever they want, and don't show sings of gaining weight. They have flat stomachs, chiseled chests and arms. People, we just have to accept this.
Others - much likely the majority- just store this fat under the belly, legs, arms, derrirere, etc.

No mather how much you work out, no matter how low on carbs your new diet is. Some fat pads just wont dissolve after so much effort. The only way out - starvation or a surgical removal. I am not talking about those "promising" placebo massages - i am mentioning - liposuction. IT is a quick solution if you want to have shredded abs. If you want to do it, i just say go for it. But do your research first.:weightlift:

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic