Members
Latest Member
Imsprod1
What's New?

Deep tissue massage

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
I alway hurt worse for two days after I get Deep Tissue massage..Anyone have this type of massage? Do you recommend a different type of massage?

Is it a benefit to muscle recouperation as well if it makes it worse?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I am an addict. I will take the pain because the massage breaks up some scar tissue, knots etc that are in the muscle. Once it's all limbered up I am able to work that muscle to it's fullest potential.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i have never had one, heck, i havent ever had a regular massage, but the purpose is to do just as POB said and is to break up scar tissue and deep knots. so there is going to be an inflammatory response because the tissue is being forceably broken down and apart. hence the reason that you hurt worse for several days afterwards. if one does them often enough i would think that you could really get improved blood supply to the whole of the muscle and keep the scar tissue from hardening and knotting back up again.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
What exactly is the difference between ART and DTM? I have a few knots in my quads that are just killing me.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What exactly is the difference between ART and DTM? I have a few knots in my quads that are just killing me.

DTM - you lay there and they grind you out.

ART - you lay there they grind you out, then they contort your ass all over and grind some more lol... There are certain movements they have you do while pinning certain muscles/joints. Its a newer type of therapy and I'm not certain if its greater than DTM or if its actually causing injury. The info just isn't there (as far as I know)

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
haha... I get what ur saying Pillar- that does actually help... thanks.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
I would like to add something that might be a little more "advanced" for some people. I just tried it myself tonight and it helped a bit... not cured or back to normal, but relieved a decent amount.

It's called "dry needle technique". Years ago I interned with a Sports Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehab) Physician. He was big on "pressure points." He would take an 18 gauge, yes, 18, and drive it all the way down into the pressure point. You could actually see the muscle fire, then he would take the needle out and apply an ice pack. You don't inject anything, just drive the needle down (some methods have you inject saline but I am unfamiliar with that).

A knot and a pressure point are NOT the same thing, BUT, they have a bit of similarity.... the muscle is tight and sometimes it needs to be "disrupted" in order for it to relax. So, tonight, I got so tired of this huge knot I said, "what the heck." I took a needle and syringe and drove an 18 gauge into my left hip iliopsoas muscle, let it sit for a few seconds, took it and applied pressure for a few minutes. My entire iliopsoas muscle is knotted up so I actually started low, then went mid level and then up near my waist.

I would say it lessened the tightness a good 1/3... enough for greater comfort at least.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
I would like to add something that might be a little more "advanced" for some people. I just tried it myself tonight and it helped a bit... not cured or back to normal, but relieved a decent amount.

It's called "dry needle technique". Years ago I interned with a Sports Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehab) Physician. He was big on "pressure points." He would take an 18 gauge, yes, 18, and drive it all the way down into the pressure point. You could actually see the muscle fire, then he would take the needle out and apply an ice pack. You don't inject anything, just drive the needle down (some methods have you inject saline but I am unfamiliar with that).

A knot and a pressure point are NOT the same thing, BUT, they have a bit of similarity.... the muscle is tight and sometimes it needs to be "disrupted" in order for it to relax. So, tonight, I got so tired of this huge knot I said, "what the heck." I took a needle and syringe and drove an 18 gauge into my left hip iliopsoas muscle, let it sit for a few seconds, took it and applied pressure for a few minutes. My entire iliopsoas muscle is knotted up so I actually started low, then went mid level and then up near my waist.

I would say it lessened the tightness a good 1/3... enough for greater comfort at least.
What has caused this to knot up?

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Actually, I think some highly concentrated TE... 400mg/mL

BEASTZ6

BEASTZ6

Sep 15, 2013
Deep Tissue Massage is great for breaking up scar tissue. It hurts, but you can actually feel the scar tissue being broken up.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic