Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Deep Sea

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
My son just moved to FL, Gulf side. I would like to do some deep sea fishing but not put the money out for a private boat. I dumped a grand for a 5 hr boat ride 2 years ago that didn't go far out and the best we did was one barracuda.

Anyone hit a party boat down there or have any advice? I have taken a few party boats out in NJ and seem to hook up a lot. My gang just needs action, not monsters.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Bro I wish I could go out there. I prefer inshore fishing to offshore. Find a speckled trout charter. You want action when these guys are biting it is one after the other.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
Have you thought about joining a boat club? They are all over down here. Pay an annual fee and reserve boats to take out. Not sure but I think they are in the $5K/year range depending on the club. The suck part is if you don't get the reservation in and miss out.
I'm in the Ft Myers area.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Best "deep sea" fishing I ever did was when we chartered a small boat for a trip off the coast of Maine. Caught our own mackerel for bait and hooked up to quite a few striped bass.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Bro I wish I could go out there. I prefer inshore fishing to offshore. Find a speckled trout charter. You want action when these guys are biting it is one after the other.
I do my share of bass fishing with my little 14'er. No threat to the bass population.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Charters out of Key West were reasonable the last time I went there for vaca. Went 25 miles out in rough water and slaughtered mahi mahi.

I’ve done it twice down there. Second time on a different charter didn’t catch a single fish but had fun.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Charters out of Key West were reasonable the last time I went there for vaca. Went 25 miles out in rough water and slaughtered mahi mahi.

I’ve done it twice down there. Second time on a different charter didn’t catch a single fish but had fun.
How do you like key West?
Went down there once and thought it was super touristy.
Very expensive too. Have not been back, its quicker and cheaper for us to go to Mexico.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I second this. I stick to the inshore stuff and just put a limit of speckled trout, drum and flounder in the boat. Maybe you get some snook, tarpon, cobia, mackerel, etc... if you are lucky. Way cheaper and success rate is much higher. When we go to the gulf it is usually $400-500 for two people for half a day and that is really all you need with a good guide.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
How do you like key West?
Went down there once and thought it was super touristy.
Very expensive too. Have not been back, its quicker and cheaper for us to go to Mexico.
Try going in the off season June -July. It’s hot af but hardly any tourists

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Im in Houston so pretty much all places are cooler than here :)
Oh I hate the heat. FL will be 90+ and the low maybe 80. The heat is oppressive and there's no reprieve at night. Been to AZ those temps are not bad because of the low humidity. Every breath in Florida feels like you're being waterboarded.

I will say the beaches from NC and down are better than NJ beaches where you can play a game of Find The Needle. Then again, back in the day, those NJ girls had legs that just fell apart.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Plan B

The hotel we are staying at is on the beach. I think I'm buying 2 set-ups and surf fishing. Probably no fish but no people after dusk either. I'll leave the rods at my son's place.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic