Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Decadron for PIP... and other things

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
I was just reading the sticky on PIP and I figured I'd share my recent experience in treating it very successfully. Unfortunately this is not a treatment many of you will be able to duplicate exactly, however similar results may be able to be achieved with PO (oral) Decadron (dexamethasone) which can be purchased online easily enough. Let me point out that I am saying similar results may be achieved. I don't know for sure.

I had a glute shot go wrong in some way about a week and a half ago. I had some pretty severe swelling in my glute with the noted absence of any redness or being hot to the touch. There were no indications that this was an infectious process is what I'm getting at. This was the kind of PIP we all deal with most commonly. Benign, but quite painful.

I happened to visit a friend who manages a couple pain management clinics a couple days before. His clinics order Decadron multi-dose vials by the case load and he graciously hooked me up with some. I had never thought to use it for PIP, but I was grateful for it because it is also useful in treating all kinds of inflammation and inflammatory pain such as joint and tissue inflammation, as well as allergic reactions, respiratory infections, croup, headaches and nausea. In the pain management setting they use it for epidural injections into the spine, as well as intra-articular (joint) injections to reduce inflammation and pain.

So, there I was. Ass inflamed to the point it felt like it was literally in flames. This was shaping up to be a really bad one. I mean the kind of PIP that takes like two weeks to go away. I had tried ibuprofen as well as Aleve with little to no effect. So, I drew up 10mg of Decadron and had my wife inject it right in the same spot as the original injection that was causing all the problems. I went to bed and woke up with my ass feeling fine. There was still some slight swelling, and we had to do one more shot of it the next night. But PIP that was shaping up to be a long road of pain and immobility was reduced to mild symptoms and all but completely resolved in 48 hours from the onset of symptoms. I still has some very minor swelling for a couple days but nothing I couldn't deal with quite easily.

Decadron is a corticosteroid. So it's not something you want to take on a real regular basis, and certainly not regularly for a long term. Corticosteroids are fight or flight hormones. They raise blood sugar levels. They promote the storage of abdominal fat. And probably a number of other undesirables. Not good for prolonged use. In the short term however, they are a badass drug to have in your arsenal. The big thing about them is that they succeed in treating inflammation where NSAIDs like ibuprofen fail. And when used short term, all the negatives don't really matter that much. Who cares if my blood sugar was a little high for two days with this treatment? It's prolonged hyperglycemia and the subsequent desiccation of microvasculature that you really want to avoid.

These drugs have their place is what I'm trying to get at. They aren't purely good or bad. But next time you're ordering antibiotics and herpes medicine from your favorite online pharmacist maybe pick up some Decadron and have it in your arsenal. Let me know how things turn out.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic