Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

deca good for joints or just a myth?

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Gonna see if I can find the entire study, abstracts don't tell me much, i don't actually doubt the outcome just seems like an interesting study to read. Thanks for the full ref.

Yea if you can't obtain the full study lmk, I'll get it and post it if you like bro.

peace.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Gonna see if I can find the entire study, abstracts don't tell me much, i don't actually doubt the outcome just seems like an interesting study to read. Thanks for the full ref.

Edit: not a study but an article here's the full thing for those interested: Estren (4-Estren-3 havn't read it yet but have it bookmarked.

I just might move this to the articles sec for all to read & so it' doesn't get lost, I have others similar to this I'll probably add there to.

considering the source of who it is from originaly, (good source) IMO it's worth adding to the the archives/articles forum, Departments of Surgery (M.C., T.L.M., W.-Z.C.) and Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences (D.C.L., R.B.H.), Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520

is a solid source!

Last edited:
NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
It seems to have been well reviewed, multiple studies used as references to support single points where possible and they actually explained what they considered significant difference in probability and how they calculated statistics. It is a good one.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Ok I dont have the study or even how to reference it, there was a study it was done @ UNC I know for a fact because my own mother worked there at the time.
It was done on human cadaver tissue, it showed that nandrolone actually helped the tissue regenerate/repair.
I read that study and it was published but it must have been 5-6 years ago and I am to tired right this minute to go look for it, someone can find it, there was some very interesting conclusions found about nandrolone besides lubing joints.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I should try this stuff as my knees are always sore as hell, considering I'm standing a lot

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
I should try this stuff as my knees are always sore as hell, considering I'm standing a lot

Well I Know it's made one hell of a difference for the ol POPs at the moment and his lower back issues.

Regular treatment alone was not working so I put him on a therapy dose of only200mg/deca EW to help .

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Well I Know it's made one hell of a difference for the ol POPs at the moment and his lower back issues.

Regular treatment alone was not working so I put him on a therapy dose of only200mg/deca EW to help .

Great to hear your dad's doing well with this so I'm gonna read up on this stuff and hopefully I'll get over my phobia of sharps. If I could have my knees pain free I'll be in heaven!

Your dad should keep shining on lol

Last edited:

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Ok I dont have the study or even how to reference it, there was a study it was done @ UNC I know for a fact because my own mother worked there at the time.
It was done on human cadaver tissue, it showed that nandrolone actually helped the tissue regenerate/repair.
I read that study and it was published but it must have been 5-6 years ago and I am to tired right this minute to go look for it, someone can find it, there was some very interesting conclusions found about nandrolone besides lubing joints.

I'll keep an eye out for that one & post it if I find it .

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
I feel my best running winny.. I gain a shit ton weight and get great strength from it. Joints always feel better when running it for some reason

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
I feel my best running winny.. I gain a shit ton weight and get great strength from it. Joints always feel better when running it for some reason

Do you use alota GH as well? not sure how old you are but the younger guys seem to get by with W use and little joint problems.

Last edited:

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Triantafillopoulos IK, Banes AJ, Bowman KF Jr, Maloney M, Garrett WE Jr, Karas SG. Nandrolone decanoate and load increase remodeling and strength in human supraspinatus bioartificial tendons. Am J Sports Med. 2004;32(4):934-43.

ABSTRACT

BACKGROUND: To date, no studies document the effect of anabolic steroids on rotator cuff tendons. STUDY DESIGN: Controlled laboratory study. HYPOTHESIS: Anabolic steroids enhance remodeling and improve the biomechanical properties of bioartificially engineered human supraspinatus tendons. METHODS: Bioartificial tendons were treated with either nandrolone decanoate (nonload, steroid, n = 18), loading (load, nonsteroid, n = 18), or both (load, steroid, n = 18). A control group received no treatment (nonload, nonsteroid [NLNS], n = 18). Bioartificial tendons' remodeling was assessed by daily scanning, cytoskeletal organization by staining, matrix metalloproteinase-3 levels by ELISA assay, and biomechanical properties by load-to-failure testing. RESULTS: The load, steroid group showed the greatest remodeling and the best organized actin cytoskeleton. Matrix metallo-proteinase-3 levels in the load, steroid group were greater than those of the nonload, nonsteroid group (P <.05). Ultimate stress and ultimate strain in the load, steroid group were greater than those of the nonload, nonsteroid and nonload, steroid groups (P <.05). The strain energy density in the load, steroid group was greater when compared to other groups (P <.05). CONCLUSIONS: Nandrolone decanoate and load acted synergistically to increase matrix remodeling and biomechanical properties of bioartificial tendons. CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Data suggest anabolic steroids may enhance production of bioartificial tendons and rotator cuff tendon healing in vitro. More research is necessary before such clinical use is recommended.

Like keto posted as well Nandrolone is good for your tendon health to.

Last edited:

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
posted by Ketso, ref of the above abstract.

Anabolic steroids may improve surgical repair of torn shoulder tendons, study finds
CHAPEL HILL -- New research from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill indicates that treatment with anabolic steroids may improve surgical repair of massive or recurrent tears of the shoulder’s rotator cuff tendons.

June 24, 2004

Anabolic steroids may improve surgical repair of torn shoulder tendons, study finds

By LESLIE H. LANG
UNC School of Medicine

CHAPEL HILL -- New research from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill indicates that treatment with anabolic steroids may improve surgical repair of massive or recurrent tears of the shoulder’s rotator cuff tendons.

Such injuries extend well beyond the world of high-performance athletes, professional and collegiate – often occurring among older weekend athletes, including tennis and golf players.

The study, which appears in the June issue of the American Journal of Sports Medicine, was led by Dr. Spero Karas, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery in UNC’s School of Medicine.

Dr. Albert J. Banes, professor of orthopedics and biomedical engineering at UNC, developed a bioengineered tendon that figured prominently in the study’s experiments. Through a company he founded 18 years ago, Banes developed a special tissue plate in which cells in a liquid collagen gel could remodel on their own to form a tissue-like matrix or structure. The structure then could be placed under mechanical load by a computer-driven pressure-controlled system.

In 2002, his laboratory announced it had successfully bioengineered a rhythmically beating experimental model of heart muscle.

Anabolic steroids benefit millions of people a year, said Karas, including those with deficiencies in sex hormones and burn victims who need to build up their metabolism to repair musculoskeletal tissue. They also are FDA-approved for treating anemia for their ability to help the body rebuild blood.

As it’s widely known that anabolic steroids can build muscle mass and strength, Karas said he thought these properties might apply to shoulder tissue and that Banes’ bioartificial tendon might provide the appropriate model for testing.

“In this new study, supraspinatus tendon cells were harvested from my patients during rotator cuff surgery, isolated and then sent to Albert’s lab,” Karas said. “The cells were then grown in his culture media to coalesce and form this experimental tendon model, the bioartificial tendon.”

Prior to applying mechanical strain, the researchers treated some of the developing tissue with the anabolic steroid nandrolone decoanate. The steroid was administered directly into the lab dish via pipette, or dropper.

“We clearly found that when you looked at the bioartificial tendon matrices that were treated with anabolic steroid and then mechanical load or strain, we saw significant increases in their biomechanical properties,” Karas said.

“The tendons were smaller, more dense, stronger, more elastic and had better remodeling properties than tissue cells not treated with steroid or placed under strain,” he said. “They responded better to the load and formed a more normal appearing tendon, versus a more disorganized matrix we see in the untreated bioartificial tendon.”

Thus, said Karas, it appeared that load and anabolic steroid “act synergistically” to improve the characteristics of tendon.

Karas said the research had clinical applications, including the possibility of a day when bioartificial tendon matrices might literally help bridge the gap between deficient human tissue and the normal state – that is, to bridge the holes that remain following surgery for large rotator cuff tears.

In the less distant future, the new study’s crucial implications may apply to the post-surgery healing of tendons that have been torn or retracted for a long time, he said.

“Orthopedic surgeons, especially those who specialize in the shoulder, tend to have one vexing dilemma in front of them: There are certain states that make rotator cuff repair extremely difficult, and that would be a tendon that has experienced atrophy and degeneration, that has been torn for a long time. In other words, not a fresh tear.

“With FDA-approved drugs taken at the appropriate dosages for the appropriate occasions, we might be able to modulate tendon-to-bone healing in this postoperative period,” he said, adding that the next step is to explore the use of anabolic steroids in the animal model.

Most of these patients are between 50 and 70 years of age and have their athletic years behind them. But many are very active and comprise a much larger demographic in society than the athlete, Karas said.

“And these weekend warriors who play tennis and golf are represented far more in most orthopedic practices than professional or collegiate athletes.”

Support for the study came from the National Institutes of Health.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic