Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Dealing with a food coma

G

GrassFed

Sep 18, 2010
So if i hear right, a food coma is caused by "too much" insulin release post-eating? am i correct? if not, please correct me.

also, how would one deal with food comas? i have heard that 16:8 fasting works because then we are only getting 1 or 2 insulin releases during the 8 hr feeding window. is this correct?

what are some legit ways of getting over the "food coma" quicker?

are food comas healthy/useful?

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
So , im sure you must be aware the term 'Food Coma" is just a colloquialism. It's not actually a medical term or condition.

I would say a good way to combat this effect would be to eat small portion meals regularly to keep blood sugar levels more even. Do not eat meals with large portions of carbs ....

food coma
nouninformal

noun: food coma; plural noun: food comas

• a state of sleep or extreme lethargy induced by the consumption of a large amount of food.
    "I fell into a post-dinner food coma"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_somnolence

Postprandial somnolence (colloquially known as a fonod coma, carb coma[SUP][citation needed][/SUP], or the itis) is a normal state of drowsiness or lassitude following a meal. Postprandial somnolence has two components: a general state of low energy related to activation of the parasympathetic nervous system in response to mass in the gastrointestinal tract, and a specific state of sleepiness.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The increased sleepiness is thought to be caused by hormonal and neurochekkmical changes related to the rate at which glucose enters the bloodstream and its downstream effects on amino acid transport in the central nervous system, though there is a lack of evidence to support this.[SUP][citation needed[/SUP]
    [SUP]]

[/SUP]
    [h=3]Insulin, large neutral amino acids, and tryptophan[/h]When foods with a high glycemic index are consumed, the carbohydrates in the food are more easily digested than low glycemic index foods. Hence, more glucose is available for absorption. It should not be misunderstood that glucose is absorbed more rapidly. Because once formed, glucose is absorbed at the same rate. It is only available in higher amounts due to the ease of digestion of high glycemic index foods. In individuals with normal carbohydrate metabolism, insulin levels rise concordantly to drive glucose into the body's tissues and maintain blood glucose luevels in the normal range.[SUP][3][/SUP] Insulin stimulates the uptake of valine, leucine, and isoleucine into skeletal muscle, but not uptake of tryptophan. This lowers the ratio of these branched-chain amino acids in the bloodstream relative to tryptophan[SUP][4][/SUP] (an aromatic amino acid), making tryptophan preferentially available to the large neutral amino acid transporter at the blood–brain barrier.[SUP][5][/SUP] Uptake of tryptophan by the brain thus increases. In the brain, tryptophan is converted to serotonin,[SUP][6][/SUP] which is then converted to melatonin. Increased brain serotonin and melatonin levels result in sleepiness.[SUP][7][/SUP] [SUP][8][/SUP]

Last edited by a moderator:
mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I usually follow are lunch high in carbohydrates with a 20 oz red bull and a 5 hr energy boost :)

S

Superman5000

Jan 8, 2018
So if i hear right, a food coma is caused by "too much" insulin release post-eating? am i correct? if not, please correct me.

also, how would one deal with food comas? i have heard that 16:8 fasting works because then we are only getting 1 or 2 insulin releases during the 8 hr feeding window. is this correct?

what are some legit ways of getting over the "food coma" quicker?

are food comas healthy/useful?
Take a nap;)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic