Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Deads, Squats, Etc post surgery?

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
So, I am 2 years post surgery from lower back surgery. Yesterday, I had a "once over" check by my surgeon and PT.

Long story short, I am, by the grace of God, feeling great.

I was told initially to not do any exercises that put compression on my spine.

My question is: have any of you who've had back surgery gotten back to doing the essential exercises such as deadlifts, squats, or leg presses?

If so, how'd it go?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I can't speak for a back surgery but I had a complete pec rupture repaired. After a long rehab, Doc cut me loose and I asked what my restrictions were. He said the chance of re-injury was no greater then it was before the surgery. Needless to say, I went back slow but hit 100% in short order.

You are not hearing the same thing from your Dr. Maybe by the "Grace of God" you're back on your feet but I wouldn't push it, he may not pull you back from the edge next time. Follow your Dr.s instructions and ask what specific exercises you are allowed to do. It would break my heart to have to give up squatting but ask if leg press are okay? You could do just fine with LP, LE and LC if you have a good base.

Wish you luck!

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
After my neck and back, I dropped any of those exercises. It's not worth the risk, my job doesn't pay me to workout, I don't need it for my job. I also have stated very clear instructions that if something happens to where I'll lose use of my limbs, I better not wake up after the accident. So I'm not going to risk being dead just to squat or dl.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
DEPENDS ON AGE

I have a hip replacement
neck fuse
and back fuse
plus no tail bone and a bunch of other shit

I don't squat

side note -- I pulled a hammie 2 hours after a 10k ---so im done with running lol

age is key I believe

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Age is a factor, no doubt about it. Something that goes with age is the years of abuse we have taken.

Another big factor is the weights we move in the gym. A 21 y.o. recovers quicker and has less damage getting injured with a 315 squat compare to a 41 y.o. doing 495.

M

musto

Oct 14, 2018
A friend of mine hurt his SI and he pushed himself just a few months after surgery. Never the same again. It's become an old injury. Take it easy on yourself

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic