Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Deadlifts at beginning or end of back workout

Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary

Sep 8, 2010
Myself and a friend cant agree on whether it is best for us to deadlift at the beginning or end of the back workout. He says its the heaviest weight we use so it should be first but I believes its best to do it towards the end so the back is pre-fatigued and will give out before the other muscles. What do you guys prefer?

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I havent done deadlifts in a long time but I tend to agree with your friend.

Why dont you switch it up? Do them first one time and do them last next time.

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
I always do them first. I want the movement to be strongest when I train it (powerlifting)...pre-fatigue is one of those things I don't worry about.

W

Welsh Iron Lifter

Sep 21, 2010
You could change them up for variety and do them at the end, but I would much rather do them at the beginning. It's a real hardcore multi joint movement with huge potential for size and strength gains, so I believe their best done at the beginning of the workout where you can really pile on the weight.

Nothing like moving some heavy ass iron!!!!!

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
Secondly, from an injury prevention standpoint, doing them last after you have fatigues various other muscles could put you at a disadvantage. Tire your abs or low back, and you can't maintain proper form/technique, this could lead to injury.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
I agree, doing them first AFTER some solid stretching and cardio warm up is the way to go. Deadlift is not one of those workouts that everyone looks forward to doing like bicep curls or bench press. I have to press myself to do Deads and Squats and don't really like them. But, I realize they are two of the most important workouts I could be doing so I push myself. It's much easier to keep the intensity up by doing them early on rather then when I'm just about to leave.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Do them first you have more neural capacity, and muscle strength at that time.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
When I do them on back day I do them first, when I do them with hamstrings I am 50/50 sometimes I start with them sometimes I finish- I do bent leg version for each but only do one deadlift session per week, so its either with back or hams.

T

Triax

Sep 23, 2010
If I am training for a powerlifting comp and strength I do them first and work up to heavy singles.If I am training for straight back size or bodybuilding comp I do them last AFTER a really good back workout..Then I usually do sets of 12-15 reps followed by heavy partials in a squat rack then heavy shrugs in the 8-12 rep range.If your back doesnt grow from that I don't think it is going to.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I do deads/ squats last as they are the major part of my workout and to get the maximum burn

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I usually train them first, if I do them at the end, I'd have nothing left to even do them. However, It is always best to do a warm up on and elliptical for 10 mins and stretch to reduce injury.

D

dropshot001

Sep 15, 2010
i do them last because if i did them first i would be too drained from them to have an effective rest of my workout

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic