Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

Deadlifting with T-Rex arms

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I have found that I have difficulty performing conventional and sumo dead lifts. Appears to be a genetic shortfall on my part (my hands only reach as far as my greater trochanter) and I have been attempting to do some research on the matter to see what could be done to help me improve. I have not really found many articles that delve into the specific issue in any meaningful way, but I did find the following article:

T NATION | Deadlifting With T-Rex Arms

Now, if anyone has an opportunity to scan the article, or first hand experience with a similar issue, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks,

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Well you can build your total with a massive bench :)

Make sure you are doing a whole lot of front squats and good mornings. And go deep on the GM's. In a deadlift you want your hips close to the bar from the start but with the chest up. That's not going to be possible for you. So your "pull" will really be a half squat half pull.

Rottenrogue has t-rex arms but she still has a damn good pull.

That sucks but it's the cards you were dealt.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I feel my strong back compensates for my arms.
A pl would likely cringe at my form though

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Well you can build your total with a massive bench :)

Make sure you are doing a whole lot of front squats and good mornings. And go deep on the GM's. In a deadlift you want your hips close to the bar from the start but with the chest up. That's not going to be possible for you. So your "pull" will really be a half squat half pull.

Rottenrogue has t-rex arms but she still has a damn good pull.

That sucks but it's the cards you were dealt.

I feel my strong back compensates for my arms.
A pl would likely cringe at my form though

Thanks POB and RR. I am guessing, RR, that you round your back to some degree?

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Honestly I think my quads are a weakness . My front squat is not impressive. However that is why I do them.

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks! I appreciate the information. I have been trying so hard to keep that straight back so what you have said as well as recently reading that some PLers do actually arch their backs some is enlightening. I will definitely start doing GM's and front squats.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
SS has short arms and has no problem working around that and pulling big numbers..... And you should ALWAYS pull with a hook grip.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I have T-Rex arms for sure.

With long legs and short arms I do better pulling conventional - I can't get in to position sumo.

Conventional stance and I DO alternate grip - I can't hold as much hook grip.

For us, it's about learning to sit back to load up for the start of the movement.

Funny enough, even in multi-ply gear, my bench isn't too far past my deadlift. You just have to work the snot out of your back.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic