Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Deadlift Tips

BigEd33

BigEd33

Apr 26, 2011
You guys have any tips for a guy who is near 7 feet tall with a long back who has trouble deadlifting? They kill my back, but not the good kind of kill where you know you worked hard, but the kind of kill that renders my body useless for a number of days.. And I can't even do much weight, 95 lbs is pushing my limits because my back begins to ache right away.. Any tips that can help me improve on this? Maybe I just need to improve on my overall back strength? I figured someone would be able to help me in this dilemma..

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
dont do them. go to rack pulls. the taller you are the harder the physics become to deadlift properly. if you really really have to do it, go look at some of mark rippetoes videos on youtube on the anatomy of the deadlift as he does a good job in showing the way it changes depending on ones height and proportions.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
dont do them. go to rack pulls. the taller you are the harder the physics become to deadlift properly. if you really really have to do it, go look at some of mark rippetoes videos on youtube on the anatomy of the deadlift as he does a good job in showing the way it changes depending on ones height and proportions.

this is the correct answer in my book.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Excellent call ATW - I've never seen a guy that tall deadlift, but I've seen/heard that taller people and/or people with long limbs are more comfortable performing a sumo deadlift. But damn at that height, that's a long way to go with all that weight!

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
That's surely a long travel from floor to top of motion...not to mention the back being at a rather weak spot in tall people. I have a tall acquaintance who's 6'6 and does rack deads as it got painful for him to perform the regular deads due to his long limbs

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i personally prefer the sumo stance and i'm only 6'.
other than that ATW hit the nail on the head. rack pulls can be just as effective

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Im 6'3 and Ive done 672lbs officially in competition, 705 unofficially... I do sumo style as many of the taller guys do... My suggestion is to have someone with a good understanding of deadlifting to watch you lift and help you with your form.. I can make all the suggestions in the world here to you, but until I saw you in action, it would be hard to pinpoint your faults...

Think of it like the leg press sled, but instead of gripping handles at the side while you drive your legs, your hands grip a bar between your legs... This, in your mind, should help you to drive with your legs.... Remember to start with your butt low and keep your eyes to the sky... Point your toes slightly outward to keep your knees from bowing in keep the BAR AGAINST YOUR BODY!!! Check out some youtube videos of powerlifting champs, how they do it... Sioux z hartwig has a great sumo form, and shes pretty hot too...

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Im 6'3 and Ive done 672lbs officially in competition, 705 unofficially... I do sumo style as many of the taller guys do... My suggestion is to have someone with a good understanding of deadlifting to watch you lift and help you with your form.. I can make all the suggestions in the world here to you, but until I saw you in action, it would be hard to pinpoint your faults...

Think of it like the leg press sled, but instead of gripping handles at the side while you drive your legs, your hands grip a bar between your legs... This, in your mind, should help you to drive with your legs.... Remember to start with your butt low and keep your eyes to the sky... Point your toes slightly outward to keep your knees from bowing in keep the BAR AGAINST YOUR BODY!!! Check out some youtube videos of powerlifting champs, how they do it... Sioux z hartwig has a great sumo form, and shes pretty hot too...

Yeah, but she's very short so I'm not sure how watching her form would help.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Form is form regardless of height...

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011

Not picking sides here, and I agree that form is form, but he is definitely pulling from a different position than even a 6'3" guy like yourself. I think we can all agree that pulling from the ankles (super tall guys) is different than pulling from just below the knee (Mayo).

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011

i dont agree with this either. the deadlift and all compound lifts for that matter are about lines and angles, basic physics. so ones height broken down into torso length and leg length and arm length, all has an affect on ones form and the angles at which one should be.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Ah well, was just trying to help... Dude sounds like he was working from scratch and Sioux Z is one of the first examples of perfect sumo I thought of... Im sure he could at least pick up a thing or two by observing her... Until this years Nationals, I was the tallest guy in ever meet Ive competed in for the last 8 years- so Ive always had to work by observing lifters shorter than me as well...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic