Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

deadlift grip

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Just curious what everyones preference is. I prefer double overhand, i do have to hook grip above 405. I tried over under today for one set and it was the oddest feeling for me.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I've been using the mixed grip for awhile now, left hand under, right hand over. I tried double over hand a week ago and felt like I was gonna lose the bar so I sat it back down.

Question, is it a good thing to switch grips periodically or just grip the bitch and pull the same way?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've been using the mixed grip for awhile now, left hand under, right hand over. I tried double over hand a week ago and felt like I was gonna lose the bar so I sat it back down.

Question, is it a good thing to switch grips periodically or just grip the bitch and pull the same way?
Probably best to find which works best for you. Reality is mixed or hooked is the only options.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Just curious what everyones preference is. I prefer double overhand, i do have to hook grip above 405. I tried over under today for one set and it was the oddest feeling for me.
Right under and left over. I probably need to switch that to get the pressure off my ac joint at this point.

Tried hook grip. Not happening for me. I don't think my fingers are even long enough.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Right over left under I like POB attempted the hook it's not happening I would like to say it's because I snapped my right thumb off at a wrestling tournament in 94, but the reality is that shiit is so painful gripping like that I couldn't do it.

I think its worth noting the difference between holding a real deadlift bar and one that is not. The diameter is so subtly different but it makes a huge difference.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
Anything under 405 is double over after that it's a staggered grip alternating which hand is sup or pron to keep balance

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Right over left under I like POB attempted the hook it's not happening I would like to say it's because I snapped my right thumb off at a wrestling tournament in 94, but the reality is that shiit is so painful gripping like that I couldn't do it.

I think its worth noting the difference between holding a real deadlift bar and one that is not. The diameter is so subtly different but it makes a huge difference.
Is a DL bar bigger in diameter as opposed to a regular 45lb bar? My gym has a bar on the squat rack that I use for DLs, which I assume is just your standard bar used for squats, bench etc. In a commercial gym.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Is a DL bar bigger in diameter as opposed to a regular 45lb bar? My gym has a bar on the squat rack that I use for DLs, which I assume is just your standard bar used for squats, bench etc. In a commercial gym.
No a deadlift bar is a smaller diameter and has whip - the bar bends and if you have decent speed will kinda flap around on you.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
One hand is over the other is under.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011

The hook is painful, u til youre used to it. I threw the weights for distance in the highland games with a hook grip. Tore my thumb nail at least once a season doing it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Are you still not able to hook on even a DL bar? If you want to try it again... don't go over triples while hooking in the beginning and tape your thumb. That will make it a bit easier to get used to.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic