Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Deadlift Form Check

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
Well.. I feel like I'm throwing myself to the wolves. I've been lifting "seriously" for almost 3 months. Yesterday got the bright idea to record myself doing some DL. The video you will see is after Maxing at 385, and is near the end of my sets. 315x7. 81% 1RM. Any critique/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uhaTJNTA24[/video]

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Not too bad. Ditch the sneakers and flatten your low back out. Try and stay on your heels.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Not bad at all. My advice: keep your head neutral (you are tipping it back); and lower your hips as you start the lift so the moment you engage the weight with your arms and legs, your butt is at its lowest point in the lift.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
Not too bad. Ditch the sneakers and flatten your low back out. Try and stay on your heels.

Thanks, this feedback means a lot to me. I am always trying to get better. Bull said to look for your critique, and I'm glad I got it!

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
Not bad at all. My advice: keep your head neutral (you are tipping it back); and lower your hips as you start the lift so the moment you engage the weight with your arms and legs, your butt is at its lowest point in the lift.

Head neutral.... cool. Never even knew this was a thing honestly. So, pick a spot maybe a few feet in front of me on the floor to focus? Butt down, head down....

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Head neutral.... cool. Never even knew this was a thing honestly. So, pick a spot maybe a few feet in front of me on the floor to focus? Butt down, head down....

Your head and neck should be aligned straight with your spine. When I do that, the weight I can deadlift increases dramatically. You can tip your head back a little bit, but not much before you start to weaken your pull.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Like what POB said... be sure to keep the weight on your heels. Your shoulders were out in front of the bar so you were your toes moreso then your heels. Your hips also shot up making it like a RDL. And ditch the shoes.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
Lots of tweaks need to be made. You look very uncomfortable and your knees track over your toes before you even start the lift. You need to sit back on your heels a lot more in your starting position. Start doing some stretching to loosen up your quads, lower back, and hammies. Your legs are straightening out too quickly. Everything should be coming together at the top of the lift: your legs straight and your back by driving your hips forward. Before you begin the lift make sure you put tension on your arms so there is no "slack" when you start to push.

N

Nerve

May 11, 2015
Lots of tweaks need to be made. You look very uncomfortable and your knees track over your toes before you even start the lift. You need to sit back on your heels a lot more in your starting position. Start doing some stretching to loosen up your quads, lower back, and hammies. Your legs are straightening out too quickly. Everything should be coming together at the top of the lift: your legs straight and your back by driving your hips forward. Before you begin the lift make sure you put tension on your arms so there is no "slack" when you start to push.

And especially your hip flexors!

You're trying to start with your hips too low. You hips move up before you ever break the weight off the floor. Look at your shin angle...your shins should be pretty close to perpendicular to the floor. Basically, you will not break the weight off the floor until your shins are at or close to perpendicular & if you watch, you can see that the weight stays on the floor until you reach a point where your shins are perpendicular. The bar should also be in contact with your shins/quads the entire way up. Looks like you need to engage your lats more & pull the bar into you.

It's hard to tell about your back because of the low video quality & what it's doing to those overhead lights. It doesn't look too bad though. Lower back needs to be flat, thoracic region of the spine, not so much so don't worry too much if there's rounding there.

Stretch & mobility work. Probably your biggest concern right now.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic