Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Deadlift Form Check

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That's very fascinating!

And the deload is right on time then... don't hit anything close to heavy on deads for three weeks after: one week off, then the next Saturday is squats and speed pulls. Peaking is so fuxking cool - I'm guessing this is how it works huh?
When I peak it seems to be a period where I am right on the edge of overtraining. The program should be flexible enough where the deload days can be shifted around to where you need them but not so flexible that you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

My last peak was a good example. It was 12 weeks of beating the piss out of myself with reps going down and percent going up as time progressed. Working in the final weeks that were over 80% is where the wheels almost fell off the wagon. Deload days where shifted around and everyone came in to the meet healthy and ready to **** shit up.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Looks to me like you are doing damn great. In time you will succeed

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Probably a few things..... small things though.....

PoB is right - jumps that small that close to a top end will suck it out of you. That, and needing some talc on your legs ( or just leaving your shorts down) could have been the difference between getting and missing this.

But, I'm happy to see a miss because that helps me see weaknesses which will help me help you....... damn, that's a lot of helping.... LOL

1st off - you wasted 12 seconds of your life talking yourself in to how heavy it was going to feel. From the point you got the the bar to when you bent down to grab the bar. That's a clear sign that you were either 1-tired, or 2- unsure about the weight.

2nd, you dropped straight down to start your pull instead of sitting back in to the hamstrings and loading the bar. Part of that is technique, part is weak hamstrings. You can fix both with chair deadlifts ( look them up on Laura Phelps' youtube) .... and some box squats..... to put it in perspective, I pull mid-700s and when I pull the slack out of the bar and sit back, before I even drive my legs anything under 600 or so will come off the ground.
Speed deadlifts can help a LOT too. Practice getting yourself tight and pulling the slack out of the bar, then exploding off of the floor to start the pull.

3rd, work some rack lock outs against bands ( hold for 3 sec at the top), and belt squats if you can. Those will build the hamstrings and glutes. Right where you missed your hips came forward, butt tucked under. My wife has the same miss and it's all from weak glutes. Part of that lock out could also be technique. Once you're above your knees all you need to do is keep your head up, squeeze your glutes, and try to push your belly out. Or, it could just be that you were tired and got impatient and tried to jerk it to lock out ( and couldn't) instead of just squeezing your hips through and grinding it up.

The strength is definitely there though.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just looked up chair deadlifts.... I think I may try those.

Here's a vid....

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
2nd, you dropped straight down to start your pull instead of sitting back in to the hamstrings and loading the bar. Part of that is technique, part is weak hamstrings. You can fix both with chair deadlifts ( look them up on Laura Phelps' youtube) .... and some box squats..... to put it in perspective, I pull mid-700s and when I pull the slack out of the bar and sit back, before I even drive my legs anything under 600 or so will come off the ground.
Speed deadlifts can help a LOT too. Practice getting yourself tight and pulling the slack out of the bar, then exploding off of the floor to start the pull.

The chair deadlifts look really helpful. Will throw those in soon. I'll work on getting my hamstrings loaded up. I think it was the beginning of September when I first started really feeling my hamstrings while exercising. The mind/muscle connection just wasn't ever there for some reason. Once that happened numbers started climbing rapidly, so it makes sense there's weakness. The plight of the fat boy... I'm still discovering cuts here and there I've never seen before!

3rd, work some rack lock outs against bands ( hold for 3 sec at the top), and belt squats if you can. Those will build the hamstrings and glutes. Right where you missed your hips came forward, butt tucked under. My wife has the same miss and it's all from weak glutes. Part of that lock out could also be technique. Once you're above your knees all you need to do is keep your head up, squeeze your glutes, and try to push your belly out. Or, it could just be that you were tired and got impatient and tried to jerk it to lock out ( and couldn't) instead of just squeezing your hips through and grinding it up.

We added lock outs to the program for this training cycle as a quick fix to my 630 miss from the video in this thread... From a frustrated novice standpoint though. Adding the bands will be a slick addition.

Honestly, the 630 was a mindfuxk. I had lost grip on 605 in my weak hand, then lost grip on my 625 in my strong hand, so I tried 630 just to test the grip and my patience.

I did not shoot my hips until it was too late, like POB mentioned, so technique was definitely absent.

Any clue how to improvise belt squats since we don't have that equipment?

I need to go fail more lifts. This feedback has been wonderful!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
My wife had a bad habit of pulling up to break the floor, and then would drift/get pulled forward by the weight. I had her do nothing but chair deadlifts for a few weeks to fix it. They work.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Your problem wasn't technique here. You are on a roll. Change nothing.

What happened here is you pulled 605 625 then this 630. You were TIRED so the low back rounded a bit which makes it hard to lock the hips. Had I been there I would have cut you off at 625 based on bar speed.

That's all.

The 605 went up like a joke kid... fleeeeewww off the floor.

Powder your thighs next time with J & J baby powder. That's the only thing that might have helped.

Agree with this, you tired and began to hitch and then stuck and lost momentum.... If you aren't already hit some rack pulls and banded deads on your accessory days for a bit, along with banded hyper extensions and see if that helps progress

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Probably a few things..... small things though.....

PoB is right - jumps that small that close to a top end will suck it out of you. That, and needing some talc on your legs ( or just leaving your shorts down) could have been the difference between getting and missing this.

But, I'm happy to see a miss because that helps me see weaknesses which will help me help you....... damn, that's a lot of helping.... LOL

1st off - you wasted 12 seconds of your life talking yourself in to how heavy it was going to feel. From the point you got the the bar to when you bent down to grab the bar. That's a clear sign that you were either 1-tired, or 2- unsure about the weight.

The strength is definitely there though.

Damn that's some good info PLK! Thanks for it bro.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There are 2 or 3 good ways to improvise a belt squat.

1- you can slip knot two of the strong bands together ( the 3"wide ones). Put the knot behind your back just at your hips then cross each end to your opposite foot in front of you.

2- use a dip belt and some chain and load 100lb plates or some big dumbbells - they only need to clear the floor by an inch or two.

3- use a dip belt on a smith machine. Drop it all the way down and load it up. Straddle the bar.

4 - loop a band through your lifting belt and stick a foot in each end..... this way is a little rougher on the hips than the 1st way with two bands, but whatever......

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic